Register now to get rid of these ads!

what weight/type oil?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by speedo1, Dec 8, 2011.

1. speedo1

speedo1

Just got done breaking in the cam on my rebuilt 241 Hemi. Pretty much stock except for two 2bls. and a little bumpier cam. I used Rotella T 15w-40 for break in. I'm gonna change the fluids and was wondering what I should run for oil and weight in this ol' (new) girl for a long life:D.

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Depends on your climate, U.S.A. is a pretty big place.

3. speedo1

speedo1

Spring,summer,fall, in the Northeast.

4. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

If you are running a flat tappet understand that Rotella doesn't have zinc in it like it use to.

5. B Blue

B Blue

While Shell has reduced the amount of EP additives in Rotella, Shell says there is still enough to do the job.

Bill

6. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

Synthetic Joe Gibbs Hot Rod oil. Best money can buy. Expensive but worth it. 10-40 should work for you.

Petroleum based Valvoline VR 20-50 if you want to go cheaper.

7. amx180mph

amx180mph

55gasserkid is correct Rotella is bad for flat tappets. I did a study with GM years ago about oil. I always thought heavy weight oil would be better in a hot engine. I was wrong in my thinking because of two problems one is cold start up starves engine of oil and second is that the heavy oil gets flung off of rotating surfaces. I am sure you will not be starting the engine in sub zero temps. I would recommend a 10w30 no heavier than 10w40. Any quality brand will have additives needed and of course proper oil changes are a must. Recommending an oil type is like recommending the engine you should run everyone has an opinion.