Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was the year range on the "cool" econolines?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by burndup, Nov 23, 2003.

1. haring

haring

1961 - 1967 were the "first generation" Econolines. There are few external differences, the most noticeable being a change in the side trim.

You could get a 240 in the later ones. I swapped mine for a stock 300 and it is fast in such a little truck. It also has a stock 9" rear. I have the "top of the line" Falcon Deluxe Club Wagon. Mine's for sale, but I doubt you California guys have need for a PA van. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Spooky

Spooky

Howza Brutha,
    I beleive it was '61-'65. From there on the taillights became rectangular not round and cool. Here is my daily driver.

Attached Files:

3. Spooky

Spooky

DAMN Haring!
    That is nice! In fact that is the wheel tire combo I want to run.

4. Rocket88

Rocket88

Kustombuilder, I got your mail. I'll see if I can snap a few pics.

5. D Picasso

D Picasso

Spook posted the exact model I'd like to find to build this.

Attached Files:

6. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

damn HARING, that thing looks PIST!!!!!!

7. DrJ

DrJ

I mistakenly thought they changed models in '67. I gyess they did but it was a '68 Model...
    I actually like the second generation van better. Maybe it stems from being a passenger in one of those first gen econolines when it T-boned a Bonneville stationwagon, I'm glad I had my feet on the dash board at the time or I would have been eating windshield, no, of course it didn't have any seat belts... My feet caved in the steel dash though!

8. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

I swapped engines on a "work" econoline in 1973. I think it was a 200. The owner supplied the replacement engine. I used a "cherry picker" style hoist thru the pass side doors. I did the swap by myself in two nights after work. I think there was space to use a 289/302. I believe a kit was available back then to mount the 289.

9. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I tow a small trailer (for truck cabs, beds, body parts) with my 65 falcon ranchero with a 200/6 in it. I wouldn't put a whole car trailer behind it, just because its a pretty light car- you feel the weight of the trailer a lot.

10. F.A...that is outta control!! You would think I would eventually get use to seeing your work, but it absolutely knocks me out each time you post something!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dan

11. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    Spook posted the exact model I'd like to find to build this.

[/ QUOTE ]

FA,
    Is that like a fifth generation Thunderbird grill in there?
    That's cool!

12. Hellfish

Hellfish

[ QUOTE ]
    I beleive it was '61-'65. From there on the taillights became rectangular not round and cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, 61-67 vans had round taillights, and the Supervans (extended vans) had square taillights. I'm not sure about the pickups.

I've been looking for a panel/display van for a year, but I can only find pickups in the midwest. All the vans are in the Northwest!

a 300 will drop into a van that originally had a 240, but if it had a 170 you will need to swap out the axle/crossmember for one from a van that had a 240.

This group is pretty active
    http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldeconolines/messages

13. D Picasso

D Picasso

Doc, you're right, it's a modified T-Bird setup. I think it'd work!

Dan, thanks. you know what? I'm painting a sign right now. as I'm doing so the difficulty of the job reminds me again how top-notch your work is. and I ain't logrolling either. this is H A R D. I might as well be painting with Q-Tips.

I think that model Econo has some really nice lines, and its profile is so aggressive and bulldoglike, Sgt. America-like. at the same time I see it as related to some of the nicer VW type 2 customs I've seen, in particular the more stock trim-retaining, DKP-lookin' ones.

I honestly think that orange Econo pickup could and should be built.

14. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Haring posted this on here and I saved it. I love it. I'd like to find a panel for my computer store. Would make an awesome shop van.

Seen a lot of econo trucks on ePay lately. There's like 4 of them on there now, and none are expensive.

Attached Files:

15. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Oh, and this one just sold on ePay for $4850

[​IMG]