Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was the hardest single part of your hot rod to find??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vtwinpartss, Nov 2, 2010.

1. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Rear shock mounts for my 40's Ford rear end. These are Ford parts but are both the same length. I have no idea what they came off.

Anyone?

[​IMG]

2. LameExcuse

LameExcuse
    from Renton, WA

Outside stainless window trim for my 48 Fleetline Aerosedan.

3. Prior to the internet it was my 427 tunnel port heads and dual quad intake. Now even with the internet it's a pair of bucket seats for my '64 fairlane.

Anyone got a pair they want to sell????

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

48 Chevy convertible passenger door stainless trim for Big Olds. Took me 7 years of active searching to find.

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

That wheel is beautiful! I was so tempted to swap out the original wheel in Rusty Olds before I sold him but I didn't. Really wished I did now.

6. TIME, money, and usable doors for a 30 31 tudor sedan... i dont know how many coupe doors i found before i found some shit tudor doors that had to be reskined.

7. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Took me 7 years to find a Tall Weiand Drag Star for a nailhead (found)
    5 year search for a Weiand blower manifold for a nailhead (found)

5 more Boettger air filters to match the one I picked up cheap them 5 more were big$$$ thanks to (32barncar) for selling me them

8. 69fury

69fury

The cash. Time wasn't too plentiful either. Then there's that whole "Clutchflite issue", lol...

rick

9. CARCUTTER

CARCUTTER
    from MASS

49 Lincoln tail lights for my Mercury.. took me a year and a hand full of money to find them.

10. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I thought it was going to be hard to find a good set of '56 Packard taillights that i could afford. A couple phone calls and they turned up 5minutes from my house cheap.

Ive got all the 'hard to find' stuff for my build accept a good steering wheel. The search continues...

11. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Original motor mounts for my '49 Merc. Only year they used them and the water pumps. After 2 years foud a set of nounts from a guy in PA. Found him in Hemmings. Just rebuilt my pumps instead of replacing them.

Jim

12. yblock292

yblock292

time and money

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm starting to think that the Ignition switch and head light switch are going to be the biggest pain in the ass.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

The hardest parts Ive been searching for are the ones that buy themselfs, and install themselfs on my project while im at work..or laying around the house

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Money. Man, I find parts and cars that I want but dont have the money for on a daily basis. Oh, and set of tail-lights for my '67 falcon to replace the ones that some SOB RIPPED OFF!

16. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

A ‘61 or ‘62 Ford Falcon Deluxe Fordor. I had to “settle” for a ‘61 Futura Tudor.

I had a hell of a time finding a simple threaded bung and non-vented gas cap to relocate my fuel filler into the trunk. I just got one this week from Tanks, Inc.

I’m still looking for a reasonably priced 14-inch 4-lug steel wheel for a mid-sixties Falcon or Mustang (the kind that fits the small hubcap).

-Dave

17. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

28 Chevy radiator shell, (car)

18. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

A buyer with cash and vision to buy my current project so I can drag home another.

19. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

The most difficult pieces to find for my 1932 Ford 3W coupe were the armrests ...

I searched for 3 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And when I did finally find a decent pair ... they cost almost as much as the entire 3W coupe did in 1932. :mad:
    But they add to the " finished " look of the coupe.

[​IMG]

The reason they are so difficult to find ( IMHO ) is that the upholstery panel fits OVER them. When the door panels got a new upholstery ... the trimmer just discarded the arm rests to make his job a LOT easier. :eek: