Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What was the FIRST chopped 1949-50 MERCURY

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, May 10, 2011.

1. I just picked up a program from the Pan Pacific 1952 show,does anybody have a program from 1951 ? Yes this does fall under the category of first chopped mercurys.

2. Just wondering if anybody has a copy of the 1951 program.

3. Rikster

Rikster

Geoff Hacker scanned the Petersen's shows from 1950 - 1955.

Here is the one from 1951. Click on the image to go to the folder on the
    Custom Car Photo Archive site.

[​IMG]

4. Thanks Rik, I don't see anything that shows Wally's mercury.Im also not sure if all the pages were scanned for your site.

5. Rikster

Rikster

Page numbers seem to be all there.

What should there be in there from Wally's Merc?

6. Not really sure,in the 1952 program they show a small pic on Louie's Merc.I was just hoping they mentioned Wallys Merc.Im learning that the programs were pretty small and simple.I just find it interesting how Wally's car was there in 1951.I was told they were planning on debuting Louie's car at the same time but it never made it until the following year.

Im glad that Wallys family still has his trophy from that show.

7. jerseymike

jerseymike

wow jeff! this thread has been running for a year and a half already, glad to see your not giving up on getting to the bottom of this! wish i had something to offer to help. would love to see some solid proof either way.

8. Ya I pretty much have my order of how it went down according to all of my research but I don't think there is a day that goes by that I don't think about these early chopped mercs.I still talk to Jerry quite a bit.I just talked to him about a week ago and hearing his storys from back then make me continue to research and learn more.Im not really trying to prove which one was first anymore but just learning more about those couple years that these cars were built,especially cars that came out of the Ayalas shop.

9. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Thats it! I'm going to put my secret time machine to good use! Forget the orgin of man, the birth of Christ, who built the piramids and who killed Kennedy! I'm going back to see who chopped the first 49 Merc!!!

Ok, seriously...

It's taken me a week to read through this entire thread. Amazing work you guys!
    This history is facinating. I hope something comes out of hiding and can one day clear up this up.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  10. This thread is capable of really making people read thru it all isn't it ? :) I think the thing that came out of hiding was Marcias photo collection of Jerrys car being chopped.That was a big discovery in this mystery.It brought up so many great questions and also answered just a few.It still doesn't convince everybody but it was heavy enough to make and clear up some major points.

11. From the looks of the floor plan and the pictures of Wally's car at the show it would have been down in the left hand corner on the floor plan. You can see the Porter Muffler and California Highway Patrol booths in the pictures which were booths 8 and 10 respectively and Wally's car was in front of them.

It is interesting they have so many booths (176)listed in the floor plan but not nearly as many on the exhibitors list. I wonder if that was just due to some booths taking more than one spot and only being listed as one exhibitor.

12. I just think there is more to the story about Wallys Merc then we know.Nothing real major but I just have a hunch.

13. Federico

Federico
    from California

Hey all....

After reading & examining this amazing thread, and as a Graphics & Branding Designer for many years, I think by EVOLUTION...the Quesnel White Merc was the first.

Why? Simply, as a designer, it's obvious the Quesnel car is simply less radical, a bit more hesitation in the design & simplistic overall, following more closely the original style. a BIG clue to me here is the nearly stock grille, whereas the Sam Barris Green Merc is just more evolved design-wise, Chopped Merc 2.0 if you will....although the Ayala/Bettancourt car could be the Wild Card, coming originally from a different shop....

Just my two cents as a designer ~ checkout Federico de California at

www.federicodecalifornia.wordpress.com

axle likes this.
  14. Federico......I like you already. :) I appreciate you giving your serious opinion on this subject.There has been a couple of important people that have to do with this subject who have came forward and said that they think Jerry was first without a doubt.They just dont really want to put it in print and stir up any shit.These are people who are very important in the existence of Sams Merc today.Plus I have that video of Jack Stewart saying how they did Jerrys first and Sams right after.I mean Jack was there and if anyone thinks he would lie about it then they don't know Jack.He is also good friends with George to this day.I mean he just told all the great accurate stories about his car for Riks book didn't he ? So with that being said....why would he not remember who's Merc was sliced first.
    The list goes on and on showing plenty of coincidences that point to Jerrys Merc and to me there isn't a doubt.Its just a rough crude job and it looks like it was there first,especially the build pics.Glad you read thru it all.

Long Live The White Ghost.

axle likes this.
  15. jwcaddy

jwcaddy
    from golden,co.

Jerrys car looks bitchen!!!! Looks just like Jeffs and a very interesting thread and I loved reading about this for the past hour or so.

16. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

This is a great thread!

"...it's obvious the Quesnel car is simply less radical, a bit more hesitation in the design & simplistic overall, following more closely the original style. a BIG clue to me here is the nearly stock grille, whereas the Sam Barris Green Merc is just more evolved design-wise, Chopped Merc 2.0 if you will"

I don't think this indicates anything either way. Jerry's Merc certainly had a more radical chop. Did Sam figure he chopped Jerry's car too much, and went with a little less off the top on his own car? Or did Jerry see Sam's car, and wanted the top lower? As far as the other customization details...well, they're just different cars with different owners who want particular things.

"...Jack Stewart saying how they did Jerrys first and Sams right after....why would he not remember who's Merc was sliced first?"

I tend to agree that Jerry's Merc was most likely the first to be chopped, but I still wonder who's finished car made it into paint first.

17. Resurrection of this thread :) I love it !! A custom thread where driprails arent even worth mentioning !!!!!!

As far as paint goes.........I personally think they painted Sams first.

18. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

"A custom thread where driprails arent even worth mentioning!!!!!!"

...oh I don't know. I'd kinda like to talk about it.
    What does everyone else think? :D

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  19. Please.....no..not again.The next thing we know we will be talking about tilt columns,bucket seats,center counsels,chassis swaps,fake valve covers and calling them traditional.Please not again.

20. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

21. uploadfromtaptalk1364522472596.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1364522491322.jpg

The white ghost lives all year round,even during Easter season.

Just remember....this exact time of year in the very early 50s there were a lot of these great customs from this thread and plenty other threads that were making sure there cars were ready for Balboa.Balweek is what it was called and it was HUGE.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  22. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

23. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I had to review this thread today, very interesting.
    Michelley, that is the funniest thing I have read all day.