Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What type of cars make the best gassers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Duellym, Apr 14, 2016.

1. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

If this is another version of the : what to do with my Jailbar, I would say that build your Jailbar, too a push truck and pull vehicle.
    And then look for any desent, ignored, small, rust free, light, over 92" WB, pre-65 CAR with room for a SBC/BBC/nailhead/caddy 331/FE.
    But don't mix them up, and enjoy them on there own and together.

I've even seen a very beautiful Volvo 544 ex-gasser barn find for sale on here, engine setback, driver set back, Mopar 8 3/4 rearend, with a stock axle.
    Anything will become a good gasser if it fills up the terms listed above.

The difference between a good or a bad gasser is simply: can it win without cheating!

2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have this old Rambler wagon. I tossed around the Gasser Idea. Do something with an OddBall car. IMG_0553.JPG IMG_0556.JPG

timmy2times and Duellym like this.
  3. Duellym

Duellym

That's a very nice car. Amc's in general are oddball cars.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

4. Duellym

Duellym

That's the thing, I would have no use for a push/pull car and it already has an FE.
    The oil pan has 2 inches of clearance with the motor mounted too high in it so that's why I would like to jack up the front end a bit.

5. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

There is nothing wrong in a FE in a truck, and you can run the same mill in a push truck, and there was some racers that ran last years racing mill in push car. As long at it didn't blow up at the track.

6. Duellym

Duellym

I still have no need for a push truck; it's what I have and I want to go racing. And that's what I'll do

It's not getting lowered chances are it's staying on the stock suspension.

As a side note, all the cages I've seen for these things are pro street types and have tubes that come out of the back of the roof all the way down to the bed, is there a way to get around that? I find it to be very funny looking.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. squirrel

squirrel

If the truck won't go faster than 11.50 in the quarter mile, then you don't need a roll bar to go drag racing. but if you do need a roll bar or cage, then it's going to be funny looking like that. you can download the NHRA rule book and see if you can figure out what it says about the subject.

8. Duellym

Duellym

Ok thank you.

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Some were, depending on the class they were running in. In the mid '60s my buddy's older brother had a '55 or '56 Ford gasser class street car. Nose high, no front bumper, tri power Y block with a big cam, 4 speed, red w/ chrome reverse wheels. I can still remember it rumbling down the street. He ran it at the local track and sometimes had the shoe polish numbers still on it when they'd come home.

CaddyRat likes this.
  10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Beaner is right. Post a side or angled picture of your truck and I'll Photoshop it Gasser style.

11. Duellym

Duellym

I know what they look like as gassers and I like them. Besides it's stuffed in my garage right now. I'll take a picture when I get it out. Thanks though.

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Gasser is slang for Gas Coupe. There alone say's this if your up on "Gasser" history. In the beginning of the Gas Coupe Class there were lot's of production cars running in this class and where driven daily. Yes I'm picking fly poop from pepper.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

This is going to be mine that I hope will make the women and children run and hide. 20151130_143750.jpg

timmy2times, enloe, OahuEli and 3 others like this.
  14. Larry T

Larry T

I think the gas class did start out as a place to race with a street car. Didn't take long for purpose built race cars to start dominating the class. Sure you could go race your daily driver, but chances are you weren't gonna take home a trophy.

saltflats likes this.
  15. Duellym

Duellym

lol. Is that a studebaker?

16. Duellym...As I see it from your profile page,you have many years to read this and other forums before there is a gasser in your life...Read and reread all you can,then maybe you will have a better understanding of what you want or can afford..Daydreams are nice tho,aren't they?

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

No its a Plymouth

18. Duellym

Duellym

Oh. Cool

I need to learn my cars more.

19. Duellym

Duellym

Lol daydreams are the best. Thanks for the tips. I would agree with I'm years away from having one. Unless of course my truck becomes one.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  20. oj

oj

Find an old '40's 2 door sedan, the cheapest you can find. Chop the top, don't get stupid with front axle height and shove the motor back as far as possible. Blower is better. Look up a guy called 'Frank Oddey', he took the gasser to a new level, they just didn't have a name for what he was doin.

saltflats likes this.
  21. Larry T

Larry T

Never mind, I was thinking of Jim Oddy.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Mine found me.

23. Duellym

Duellym

Cool thanks, i will be looking him up.

24. GASSER RECIPE, small light car (for the most part) and big big power. Able to hook to the sky. You better be great at tuning chassis and engine and have some really large balls if running a stick. Not to mention in this day and age, a pocket book to go a long with big balls of steel! LOL.:D

-Brent-, volvobrynk and saltflats like this.
  25. Duellym

Duellym

Lol what's the part about driving stick? Should I expect it to get vertical or something?

26. 'Mo

'Mo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still axiously await the latest gasser madness to go away. Real cars from the day? Not so much, but this odd ill-handling straight axle aboniation build style, yes. When I think true gasser class cars I see the 55 Chevy from "Two Lane Blacktop". Tell me how wrong that is, I'm guessing you can't. Hell I even see a Mustang or 2, sometimes even a Camaro (heaven help us!), but taking anything to nose bleed height with a straight axle is just that "freak" thing from the early 70s. I also think that many either confuse or cross breed certain classes from the glory days. The A/FX cars were not gassers in the colloquial sense, and the whole FX thing was born of no other class to compete in. Not all were altered wheelbase cars either, just ballsy excess of the time including nitromethane. Your results may vary, tax n title extra, void where prohibited...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  28. oj

oj

Jim Oddy! Right you are! Where did I get the Frank from? One of the regulars at Etown that Jim raced? I recall 5 or 6 of those guys meeting often at Englishtown, right about when NHRA merged the 'Gas & Altered' classes. Those boys put on a show that was unbelievable, wicked cars.
    Thanks Larry.

29. Larry T

Larry T

Jim Oddy is still owns a car that is racing in one of the Gasser groups. I think he helped set up the rules for the group - but I could be wrong.

Attached Files:

Duellym likes this.
  30. I like Anglias, Willys and of course '55 Chevys.

It's personal preference, but the classes were all CU IN to weight, so you'd need to choose wisely if you wanted to be competitive.
    12552716_970063739747132_5977523743525407852_n.jpg

-Brent-, chevy57dude, Deuces and 2 others like this.