Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What trans fits?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RUSS BUCKLIN, Oct 18, 2018.

1. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Hi All,

Picking up my freshly built '54 235 this weekend. So now planning the build for the rest of the drive train. Car is 1950 Fleetline Deluxe coupe with a 216 3 on the tree torque tube. Planning to replace the rear and go to a drive line, (S10 best option?) replace the 216 with the new 235, rebuild front suspension to stock with discs and power booster.

Not sure what to do about trans.

With new non torque tube rear do I need to replace existing 3spd? Or can it be changed to accept a driveline?

If I have to replace it, what trans can I use and keep the column shift?

If I go to floor shift, what trans will bolt up to existing bellhousing?

What a I missing?

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing bolts the existing bellhousing. If you get a truck bell housing and a 3 speed from a 58-up trans with a rear mount you can make it work with your column shifter with a little ingenuity. You con also use a Saginaw 4 speed and use the column for all 4 forward speeds and a cable for reverse. Also work especially with the shifter arms but definatly do able. Good luck with your project.

3. squirrel

squirrel

the 1955-66 type small 3 speed (Muncie 318) with the 4 bolt side cover is the easiest to connect to your existing shifter. they came in long and short versions, it doesn't really matter which you use, just make the driveshaft the right length to work with it.

4. Squablow

Squablow

You might consider just bolting up the 235 to the current 3 speed trans if it's good, and find a rearend out of a torque tube car with Powerglide. The Powerglide cars have a better gear ratio for highway driving. That'd be a lot easier.

Also, when you're redoing your front suspension, see if you can find some spindles (uprights) from a 53 or 54, bolts in and gives you almost an inch of lowering.

squirrel likes this.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

^^^^^ this is great advice right here

6. Find a 55 and newer car bell housing and you can mount any “modern” manual trans
    A truck bellhousing will do the same thing.

A diff outta any tri5 Chevy bolts in
    2nd gen camaro is a bolt in
    S10 works but needs the perches moved

A power glide rear end would be easy as then your trans etc all stay the same, you get a better rear end ratio for hwy cursing ( the og 4:11 sucks)

Look into getting 53-53 uprights for the front they lower the car an inch or so
    A jaguar series 3 clip is literally a bolt in and you get disc brakes and power steering

Cool cars I owned one, any pics?

7. I have been using the iron SM420 style or tri5 Chevy bellhousings forever. You get the ability to run a bigger clutch, the clutch can drop out the bottom. You need a 168 T flywheel and a truck starter. The truck starter eliminates any bolt to the block woes.

8. lowrd

lowrd

I used a bellhousing from a 62 Belair with the all synchro 3spd and a Camaro differential. Worked great. Used a T-5 later with the same bell and a spacer.

9. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Lowrd, what car did you use the 62 gear in? Did it bolt up the a 235 and the stock shift linkage?

I'm fine staying with a torque tube. The front is getting discs and I just want the rear Huck Brakes gone. Plus my hubs are on their last legal turn and there is still a lip. They are also a 2yr only item and I see no reason to stay with them.

As for the powerglide torque tube rear, is that a bolt in? All the powerglides I've seen look substantially longer than the stock 3spd manual.

10. Squablow

Squablow

Yes, the Powerglide rear is supposed to be a bolt-in swap.

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

true, direct bolt in. I did one on my 52 chev back in the eighties