Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to use to buff a hood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gus68, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Hey!!! I'm more of a mechanic type of guy than a body type of guy, so sorry if this sounds a little stupid. Anyway, my kid has an OT car that had been sitting outside for quite a few years. The paint is black and cleaned up pretty good, but the hood is kinda whiteish/chalky looking. I bought a buffer wheel from my neighbor buddy but I don't know what type of compound to use. I think it will turn out OK, I took a little wax on a rag with my finger and rubbed the hell out of one little corner and it started to look better so id just like to try to buff it.

2. slammed

slammed

3M 06068 polish is good. Stay off sharp edges. Use plenty of clean fiber towels. Follow with cleaner wax or a quality glaze. Top w/ straight carnauba or Wizard Sealnt (sealant last's months not weeks) two coat minimum.

3. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Use Slammed's avatar sittin on the hood for about 5 minutes..:D

4. slammed

slammed

Spit shine w/ that behind!

5. oldsman41

oldsman41

go to a good auto paint dealer and ask them. most deal in several kinds of products. i prefer 3 m products myself.

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

just watch out for dingleberries:D

7. 2racer

2racer

this works good, wax after...
    polish.jpg

8. ihv800

ihv800
    from Colorado

3m has a 3 step system, it's a rubbing compound I like to use with a wool pad, a machine polish with a foam pad, and a ultra-fine with an orbital. I'm not certain of the numbers. Always run your buffer so the pad spins off the edges, and as a general rule use the least aggressive products to get the job done. That will lessen your chances of burning through!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. If it's base coat/clear coat and the clear has failed, you're SOL

10. Go to www.3mcollision.com to watch a great training video on the Perfect it paint finishing system