Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What to use on floors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sporty45, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Sporty45

Sporty45

Can someone tell me what was used on car floors in the 40's? I'm getting ready to finish the floor in my 47 Olds and don't know what to use over the primer. The stuff that is still there is kind of like undercoating, but much smoother and not as thick. Not sure what it is. Anybody know?

2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

It's like an asphalt pad. It's like tar paper but much thicker and a a lot more tar. Sometimes it had a square pattern to the material...almost checked looking but textured.
    You'll see it sometimes in doors and above head liners and on floors.....I think it's for sound or to prevent rubbing (head liner bows...hold floormats in place..) more than anything else

olscrounger likes this.
  3. Sporty45

Sporty45

No, this is what is on the floor under that stuff. It's too thick to be paint, but not as thick as undercoating.

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Seam sealer or "dum-dum" followed by prime and/or body color overspray. Each mfr. had their own procedure; the more the car cost, the better the quality fit & finish.