Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do with old gasoline?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dane, Sep 18, 2011.

1. metalman

metalman

The last car I parted out (took the motor) had more gas in it then when I got it as it headed to the local Pull-a-part! Easy way to get rid of 5 gallons of really nasty old gas.

2. boutlaw

boutlaw

degreaser and weedkiller, or run it through a paint filter for the mower.

3. Please be really careful if you try to it burn it. I've had too many close calls when doing stupid things when I was younger.

I'm surprised your local county hazardous waste facility does not take it.

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

My God Man! Why come on here with a question like that and get 28 inane replies. Didn't you even THINK about parceling it out in your daily driver? A gallon at a time will never be noticed-by you OR the car.

5. cavisco

cavisco

Use it to kill fire ants. About a half cup per mound does the job. Also good for killing yellow jacket wasps.

6. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Whether or not you use if for degreaseing, I'd second the suggestion to call your county hazardous waste facility. They won't refuse to take it because they know it will end up leaching through the soil if they don't. And nothing helps the public perception of car guys quite like pouring oil and/or gasoline out back of the shop.

7. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Got an old white tee shirt?
    Got a clean 5 gallon bucket?
    Strain the gas through the tee shirt in the bucket.
    Now, you have clean gas and can use it in small quantities in various gas engines.
    No more than you have, pour it into the tank of your daily driver. Will not hurt and will get rid of it pretty quick legally.

8. Be careful using it for weed killer or pouring it on the ground (not recommended), gasoline will penetrate PVC (white plastic) pipe . Dispose of it responsibly.

9. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

At the scrap yard I work at, we pay a company to pick up the old gas. I used to get some from there but they worry about liability. I told them we can strain it and add some to our diesel fuel or use it in yard vehicles. To use it in a vehicle, let it settle out and take the gas off the top. Some people add water to fuel tanks for weight. I liked to put it in plastic barrels and let it sit until the temperature drops below zero. The water freezes in the bottom sealing all of the rust and muck in.

10. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I have a couple year old lawnmower with a Honda gas motor. I had a real hard time getting it started at the beginning of the season. Switched to fresh gas and it ran like it was new. The old gas was only two years old. Why am I telling this story? I don't remember.

11. PackRatWrecker

PackRatWrecker
    from Kansas

If you have a waste oil heater, that would be the safest. A lot of guys I know cut their burner oil with old gas, to make the stove burn cleaner. Of course, those are the same guys that filter their waste oil, before it goes into the stove tank.

Once you degrease with it, your parts stink & you have greasy old gas to get rid of.

12. RpR

RpR
    from Minnesota

13. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

The manager at the local parts store lets me dump a gallon at a time in their waste oil container as long as I add old oil at the same time.

-KK

14. Oklahoma City takes used oil, old gasoline, and all other hazardous materials like insecticides and such, BUT you have to bring it to them. They have a recycling center specifically devoted to hazardous waste. If you receive an OKC utility bill (trash, water), you can dump there for free Monday through Saturday. I recently took over 25 gallons of used oil, a bunch of old rat killer and bug killer, and four gallons of two-year-old, crappy gas to them, no problems at all.

I am surprised more municipalities and counties don't do the same. It's too easy to do things the RIGHT WAY, guys.

I was saving up the oil for a waste oil heater for my shop, but decided for the work involved, it was not going to be worth the trouble.

15. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I dump it along a hedge row here on the farm to get rid of sumac. Almost as good as agent orange which I am familiar with...........

For the enviromentalists: I've been dumping gas and draining oil in the lower 40 for the past 60 years or so and my pappy before me. We,ve had the same well here on the farm for the past 120 years dug by my grandpappy. Still the clearest freshest spring water that can be had. Better than the "city water" your drinkin!

Not to say it's right but this "save the planet" business is relatively new........

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

correct.

man, we all must be bored to spend time posting on this thread. Time to watch some old car movies

17. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

yes.. bored.. this thread is awesome.. crazy funny ideas.. my grandpa had alot of old gas

18. I live in Los Angeles County and they have a program to dispose of toxic waste. You call (888) CLEANLA and they will tell you where there are permanent recycling centers, when special recycling events are held around the county and they will sometimes even come to your house. Try calling your public trash removal agency and they can probably point you in the right direction.

Charlie Stephens

19. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Hope the EPA doesn't monitor this site.

20. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

put it in a bottle and huff it!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SIyY0n6H3qw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

21. GREASER815

GREASER815

Mix it in with your used oil and stick Autozone or someplace with it that takes used oil. Or take it to a local shop, we burn waste oil for heat and put old gas in with it if we get it. Our 2000 gallon tank will not notice 4 gallons of gas. Just a thought

22. Clik

Clik

Some of the shit showing up in the aquifer is new too. EPA in their infinite wisdom found it a great idea to put new shit in gasoline to fight air polution and now it has polluted ground water. But I'm with ya on this environmental crap for the most part. Global warming and Al Gore are full of shit.

23. True on the fuel additives that were originally mandated by the EPA. In the 1970s, MTBE was added originally for low-lead and no-lead gas in California, which then spread to the rest of the nation. Problem is, MTBE is incredibly toxic, and was seeping into the ground water in CA and elsewhere. It stays toxic for centuries! It poisoned the ground water in many places to the point where the damage was irreversible. Many wells were rendered useless. Don't think that individuals are the only ones using water wells. The majority of municipalities use water wells as a major sources for their water, as well. The movie "Erin Brockovich" was based on this very case. Granted, the movie has its share of anti-business propaganda and had its own agenda. Problem is, the replacement for MTBE evolved into what we now use as ethanol. It has its own set of problems.

So, when it comes to drinking water, yes, it DOES matter what you do with your oil, gas, etc. I'm hardly a tree hugger, but I DO employ common sense. To Straightpipes - have you EVER had your water tested for contaminants? The water can be, as you state, "still the freshest, clearest spring water that can be had", but contaminated water can look just like that. And after 60 years of "dumping in the back 40", it definitely is not uncontaminated. I'm on a well, and you can bet I do not dump anything on the ground.

Common sense in disposing of ALL possible consumer contaminants is easy to do, costs little to nothing for the consumer to do, and is the right thing to do.

And Algore IS fuill of shit, BTW.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  24. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Just remember. Just because it's old and stinky, doesn't mean it's less volatile in an open fire pit situation. I dumped 5 gal on some brush in the back yard, let it soak in, and lit it. My wife and the neighbors both came out of the house wondering what made the cuncussion that shook all the windows in the houses. I was like "nothing", as I stood there near a 20 foot tall blow torch shooting out of my yard. Luckily, I was turned away just enough not to get really singed except all my forearm hair. I did feel a HELL of a whoosh as it lit though.:eek:

25. moefuzz

moefuzz

Wow, that is some facked up sheet.

When I was a youngin I worked for a car detailing shop.
    One of our customers was Hertz Rent a car.
    Often times, rental cars would be returned with road oil or tar all over then
    That would be the oil they lay down when they are paving the road.

When a car would come in with tar all over it, Hertz would make the customer pay for the removal of it. And they charged Plenty...

My job was to go down to Hertz, get the car, bring it into our shop and wash it (under the shade tree) with gas and a rag. I kept the water hose trickling fresh water along side me as I worked.

Working in the shade allowed the gas to quickly thin the tar (without evaporating) while I washed the residue off with the water hose.

On average it would take me a 1/2 hour to wash the bottom third of a vehicle in which time I would use ~ a quart of gas.
    Total charge to Hertz would be about $25 and that included pickup and delivery.

Hertz would charge the customer 2 or 3 times what we billed em (that's why they keep a copy of your credit card).

What I learned,
    :Gas is paint safe, have you ever seen paint peeling off your car at/around your fuel filler even after all those times you spilled gas while refueling? no and nether have I

:Gas evaporates quickly and leaves little behind.

:Gas didn't kill the grass or the oak tree that I washed tens of dozens of cars under.

:The EPA would like you to think that gas is environmentally toxic so that they can collect a fee for them to dispose of it (as it evaporates).

If you are worried about left over gas, let it evaporate or use it as a degreaser or bug and tar remover.

Just don't let Teresa the huffer see it :eek:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  26. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

Speaking of burning gas.... I once attended a memorial for a friend at a beach on the island of Molokai. Someone was tossing a net and brought in some fish for everyone to share. Alas no briquets or fire wood so some 'Brudda' rips the top off a beer can and fills it half full of gas then lights a match to it.... I was expecting something other than a nice flame quietly burning away for the next hour. Of course everyone was careful not to disrupt the cook

27. dragsterboy

dragsterboy

You can light all those bald tires you got hangin' around on fire.

28. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

We used to use a coffee can with gas for heat and light. Gasoline vapor is explosive. That's why you don't pour it on a brush pile where it will vaporize and hang in the brush. The dangerous part of having it in a can is it could tip over and spread out.

29. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

$3.03 for cheap stuff this p.m. in Laurens, SC. I mix old gas with oil and take to recycler, usually 1 gallon to 4 gallons oil.

30. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Put it in a open bucket outdoors. It wll evaporate before this thread ends......