Register now to get rid of these ads!

what to do with my 53 chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thebrassnuckles, Dec 14, 2009.

?
  1. keep it stock, getting running good and win shows

16 vote(s)
    48.5%
  2. STRAIGHT AXLE ALL THE WAY!!!!!

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. both (ie... build the 54 gasser keep the 53 stock)

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. dont care/results

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

i have a 100% original 4dr 1953 chevy 210, it was my first car, and wont ever sell it.
    i also have a 4dr 54...
    here is the delimma...

i really want a gasser. i was going to build the 54 into one,
    but i have 5 cars. (53, 54 [selling], jeep [selling] a 4runner (to replace the jeep as offroad/camping car due to increase in faqmily size) and my company truck.

i need to get rid of a few cars, i could use money, and the space.

should i take my completely original 53 and build it into a gasser?

everyone says it'll hurt the resale.... but if i'm not gonna sell it... why do i care?

my thinkin/plan

keep the original drivetrain in it for now, i dont have the funds to swap the engine because it would require a new rear and driveline all at once... so just get the stock motor running good... possibly rebuild.. (its tired, and leaks alot)

i want to eventually upgrade to a cad 500 (i know, big upgrade:D)
    and they are basically the same weight 5lbs if i recall

i have the front axle out of a 54/55 1st series p/u

i want to put that under the front end and set up the leafs, so i wouldnt need to figure out new spring rates when i put the caddy in it. (~same weight)

i got off track somewhere i think.. i got distracted while typing this ...

so opinions please.. (i wont get mad at anyone)

should i "destroy the value of an original car" and have a car that i REALLY want....:D
    or

just keep it stock and suck it up.:confused:

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what's wrong with a 100% original 4dr 1953 chevy 210?

a 4 door gasser with the stock drivetrain? I see plenty wrong with that.

3. atomickustom

atomickustom

You asked, so I'll tell:
    I personally don't think anyone should perform any heavy modifications of any kind to any nice, 100% original car. There are too damn many field cars and junkyard bodies out there to go hacking on a nice survivor. So if your '53 is really nice I'd say don't start cutting. If it's not so nice, then go for it.

My '53 Chevy was a field car when I bought it and so was the '51 I'm just starting on. I won't cut up a really nice original, but I will do ANYTHING to a field car or one that has already been hacked up by a previous owner.

4. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

5. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

6. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

youre in CA.. some rockabilly kid would kill to have taht car with red wheels... sell it and buy a beat up coupe to gasser if you must..

7. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

but.. i am (ok was) a rockabilly kid.

but i dont want red wheels.

some rockabilly kid can buy my 54.

8. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

lol, they want em runnin

just reread your post...

man, u say you never wanna sell this car, then DONT, i repeat DONT gasser it... keep it the nice stock riding car it is, lower it a lil, lil stuff... the gasser thing will get old and you will sell it cause yuo wont be into it anymore.. the hot rod in your avatar can be your loud and fast car.. plus a 6 in a gasser would just not be right

DONT ruin this car to where you wont want it in 20 years if its that important to you

as a side note, if i was closer i might be buyin that 54... its a lil high in price, but seems pretty solid.. i need a new lowrider project

9. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

sadly.. i sold the 31.
    it was beyond my scope of abilities, and i ran out of storage space.

i dont see the problem with unbolting the stock suspension, and bolting on a straight axle. i could unbolt and put it back if i ever so desire.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Yep, what they said. Hope that you have the stuff you want to sell posted here for others to buy. Then you might have enough $$ to buy a body style that fits the gasser world better. Put a post in the wanted section here too. You might find a project gasser with a lot of work already done. Being in Bakersfield you can access So Cal and Nor Cal for lots of stuff. Hit the big Tulock Swap Meet at the end of January. Hope that you have taken '54 to swaps at FAMOSO, etc. If no offers from here try craigslist, etc. Again, you can put ads South and North for it. For newer stuff sell on regular sites. You have to make it happen. I have some heavy parts I am trying to sell local with no action. But, ya never know who might read your next ad.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  11. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

the jeep is a 98 so.. it cant be posted but the 54 is in the classifieds, and it has been for over a year. its at 1000 bucks, i dont think that is a high price but i guess i must be retarded. i have considered putting it on the straight axle just to sell it faster as a gasser project, but then i would want it more.

12. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

hack that car up and in ten years, when you realize you want a nice original style '53, you'll learn why you don't hack up nice original cars. It's alot harder to "undo" those changes....