Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What to do with a T?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dumprat, Apr 1, 2016.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

So I have a pre 26 T roadster with turtle deck, grill shell, fuel tank and headlights. And have a line on a TT truck frame. What should I do with it? Stuff my 60's style 289 in it and some slicks and steelies? Or my set of 35 wires and search for a banger for a TROG style racer? Opinions?

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Well your location makes what I want to say moot. :( ;)

If it wee mine I would build it '60s style, but I am sure that my opinion will get overridden. Like the 289 idea real well though. ;)

volvobrynk and falcongeorge like this.
  3. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

Bolth would be my sugestion 289 wire wheels and a closed hood you could have the looks and the driabilty of a v8

4. Squablow

Squablow

This is my 26 T (with earlier turtle deck), on an A frame with a flathead. These bodies fit an A frame really nice. If you had an A body, how would you build it? Do the same for the T. The T body on a stocker A chassis gets you on the road period-style really cheap, and a V8 of several flavors fits into the A frame real nicely too.

03-31-15 009.jpg

5. silent rick

silent rick

don't add a model a roof to it whatever you do

volvobrynk and hrm2k like this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

There really isn't much interest in TT chassis, unless there is a running T engine in it. Stone stock on the outside with 16 inch wires is a good look. Bob

7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

@Squablow i really like your T. But I am thinking somewhat lower. And I won't bother with a flathead Ford. Dodge maybe but not a V8 Ford.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hear that?? Its the sound of a thousand rod-abillies having a collective seizure right now...:D

clem, Sancho, 37hotrod and 2 others like this.
  9. Squablow

Squablow

Thanks. My car sits pretty high on purpose, but you could get one a lot lower with a swept front and a step in the rear, which would still avoid channeling. Channeled T's have a great look but you sacrifice a lot of interior space which there isn't much of in a T to begin with, that's why I like the body on top.

An early Dodge V8 would be a great choice and would fit nicely too.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

first, take some pics of what you have and post here - have any pic of the style that you like for a T? keep your eyes out for something besides a TT frame or, maybe build one - lots of potential

11. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

No pics yet. Still scrounging parts.
    It is gong to get my wavy Plymouth axle and un split bones front and rear.

volvobrynk and falcongeorge like this.
  12. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Is there any special consideration that makes people shun the TT frame? They look like a great platform to me...with modifications of course.

volvobrynk and Runnin shine like this.
  13. My Modified is on a boxed, pinched and zeed TT frame;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

@blackjack any more pics of the rear suspension? Looks real similar to what I am thinking.

15. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

TT frame is a nice base to start with... Stronger then a A. I think the frame is 5" tall there are several cars here on the hamb using the TT frame

16. Here you go - whenever I take pictures it seems like the workshop is a tip.... The rear wishbone is split but pivots off a single rose joint. I have also added a Panhard Bar for better location as the shackle angle is not ideal;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I Would do a mix between the "Multy" Aldrich roadster and the Spaulding brother roadster.

Model A wires, double dipped axle, parallel front springs, straight six Stovebolt, 3 Weber, split fentons, long and painted hood top, TT frame, with those Multy hang up and the rear, model T rear spring and a belly pan and hood panels in Alu.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459679917.550270.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459679940.303973.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459679965.723659.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459680054.817091.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459709195.548189.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459709217.730972.jpg

That's what I would do. And that is what you could do, the rest is up to you.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  18. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

A friend of mine had a TT frame hanging from the rafters in his shop. I thought it was an IDEAL platform to start a build on! Thick steel formed into a nice C rail...and deep too.
    If I ever came across one I would definately grab it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. missysdad1

missysdad1

Suggest you look at some books featuring "roaring roadsters", the real dirt track racers of the late '40s and early '50s for ideas. These cars were stunningly proportioned and fitted with just about every power plant you can imagine - except a small block Ford which in my opinion would be a very bad choice for a number of real-world reasons. There were two Tex Smith publications which would be a good start for your research. Here's just one example of what's possible...

tg181.jpg

Squablow and volvobrynk like this.
  20. Yes! This! This is exactly what you should do with it! Just my opinion

21. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Track roadsters make me wanna puke. Especially with that stupid looking Austin grill. The 50s was a horrible era for Ts.

I really like the Aldrich T. It has the right look. It is simple. And has a healthy race car vibe. Probably the direction I will end up going.

It is either that or a 70s vibe, green metalflake, slicks and lots of Chrome.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. I built this frame using TT frame rails with shortened Model A crossmembers. It's the width of a T frame at the front and a few inches wider at the rear. I wanted the TT frame rails for their extra length and beefiness. I did bob a few inches off the front of the rails and added an X to prevent any twisting.

DSCN8641.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  24. Wow , that hurt Matt. OK, picked myself up off the floor, ready to chime in. I like the TT frame idea, think it would work well. I know your partial to Dodge 6's, nothing wrong with that, even though you have/had that Ford flattie. I'm not big on the 289 idea, too close to a SBC.
    Get your engine choice narrowed down to a family, set your wheelbase/ engine placement accordingly and go from there. I have an A front and rear cmbr if that helps.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  25. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

As much as it ruffles feathers my opinion on Ford flatties is based on tearing down dozens of the to find enough good parts to build one only to find it needed several thousand dollars worth of parts to make as less power than a stock 300 six.

I would like a banger but it would need to be something other than the Babbitt bearing boat anchors Ford put in these cars to start with.

I am pondering the use of an insert bearing tractor engine with lots of cheap mods and simple speed parts.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    volvobrynk likes this.
  26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Hmm seriously thinking of a willys flathead or F head four for this. Should be easy to come by and more power than a T or A engine.

Nailhead A-V8 and volvobrynk like this.
  27. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

TT Frame and a flathead would be my vote if you wanna try and run TROG with it. You can always drop something else in down the line.

28. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Or maybe I Ford 8N or a Mutt engine with a small blower and a good synchroed 4 speed. That would be cool.
    Unless you have a line on either one of the above.

29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Tractor engines are available new. And I know a guy that has lots of willys connections and parts.

30. Squablow

Squablow

That part is true for sure, I can understand that.

And for the record, I think the TT frame rails could work nice if cut properly, to me it's way better than using new box tubing, just for looks.

The Jeep/Willys 4 cylinder had some really cool speed parts made but they're super hard to find. If you could find some of that, a Willys 4 could be really neat in a T.

volvobrynk likes this.