Register now to get rid of these ads!

what to consider when choosing the right windshield for your roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by erlomd, Apr 11, 2010.

1. erlomd

erlomd

Ive decided to start this thread to see what your opinions are in choosing the right windshield for your roadster, as well as personal and historical pics that we can all enjoy. model's A and B but I guess it can work for other makes around the same time period as well.
    what to consider in: aesthetics, how it looks with a top, aerodynamics, history involved, different chops, and personal choices etc...

theres not alot of choices out there but here are a few that come to my mind:
    there also seems to be different styles of the same type of winshield...like the duvall...on doane spencers is different to the ones that are more often seen....and theres versions of the duvall with the top glass exposed somewhere...id love to see different combination's out there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Style is, of course, important, but don't build a setup that doesn't work. Start with the seating position, and figure out how tall it needs to be to see well. If you build it so you don't have a clear line of sight, you won't like it a bit, even if it looks racy.

3. Here's my choice.
    has worked good 4 me re: line of sight and I'm 6'3" tall
    All depends how ya set or build the seat.

Attached Files:

4. Chuck R

Chuck R

Thats more of a Hallock windshield mostly see these on 28 -29 ford Roadsters / RPU's

[​IMG]

on a 32 I actually prefer a stock windshield with a 2 or 3 inch chop. The 3" looks best to my eye but it's gotta work with your seat and body. You also need to lean it back a little.
    chuck

Here is mine 2" chop.
    chuck

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Not every DuVall is a DuVall, some are Hallocks, and some are just homebuilt "speedboat" vee'd winshields. I've also seen '37 Ford coupe/sedan windshields mounted to roadsters, for a similar look.

Being from a state with unpredictable weather, I'm a big fan of a raked, slightly chopped stocker; along with a stock-style top folded on the deck.

For a different look, the "Dragnet" Model A roadster used '26-'27 T stanchions.

-Dave

6. EVANS and 3 97s

EVANS and 3 97s

Comfort is also a concern.Losing the cowl vent to a DuVal,to me, is not a good trade.

7. hemifarris

hemifarris

Make sure there's no part of your head above the windshield while driving with no top. Nothing looks dumber than a guy's melon blowin' in the wind above the windshield.When I had my roadster I ran a 3" chop and lowered my seat to compensate so my head was below the windshield. click pics to enlarge.. just my opinion..Mike

Attached Files:

8. Duvall and Hallock windshields are very racy looking, and if you live in San Diego, they are a good choice. If you live anywhere else in the world, where it rains occasionally, they are an absolute son of a bitch to hook up a header to for a folding convertible top.----Brian

9. Just my opinion but I prefer the good old Henry style windshield,,stock or chopped. HRP

10. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

If you head is above the windshield scrub line ... you will DRIVE to regret it. :D

I am 6 foot 2 inches tall and my seat is lowered.

1 ) A cowl functioning cowl vent is necessary ... IMHO.
    2 ( most of the tops look funky on the chopped up, laid down windshields ( IMHO )
    3 ) IF you ever want to sell the roadster ... all that weird stuff ... hurts the resale to MOST folks.

If you are NEVER going to sell it ...
    I have owned my 32 over 30 years :D

Then do as you please and do without a cowl vent and a top ;)

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Me too :)

2" chopped on mine

[​IMG]

12. Chuck R

Chuck R

I just love your Roadster.
    chuck

13. erlomd

erlomd

im 6'1 and seat height has been on my mind too...good point...is that a rodware/wanlass windshield? I love them, they look great even if it wasnt available back then....heard somewhere that it was inspired by early alfa romeo's but I could be wrong

the stock windshield chopped is also a nice option love that look as well, I guess you can always slant the stock windshield back a bit but dont know how funky it would look

14. Chuck R

Chuck R

It always reminded me of an Austin Healey windshield.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. HFKND1

HFKND1
    from Peoria, IL

Great timing on this thread for me. Putting the plans together for this 29 for the wife.

Attached Files:

16. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I recall reading that Spencer modified the Duvall on his roadster (bringing the posts up straighter)

I think the frameless (on top) Duvall your thinking about is the one speedway sells.

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thank you very much.

18. erlomd

erlomd

[​IMG]

is that a track on the frame? adjustable to go lower or higher? its got a slight curve on the glass as well huh?
    looks really similar to the wanlass windshield...I like the idea of using a windshield like this one on my roadster but didnt know if it would throw off the look of the car or even the function....good to know that if you had a junked 1955 austin healey in 1955, and a 32 ford project...you some how could have conceivably built it using that windshield...
    (thats a huge what if btw...)
    [​IMG]
    wow thats bitchin'!! love it....too bad they didnt have similar winshields in the 40's or else this would throw my whole 1940's ("as period correct as visibly at a glance as possible") period roadster off by at least 5 years
    I too also love your roadster langy!....makes me green with envy!

19. erlomd

erlomd

Beutiful axels by the way!.....wish I knew you made them before i got mine.
    i checked the speedway site and the only duvall I see is fully framed in...the Hallock one is the upper frameless....both cool....but I agree with evans and 3 97's that it sucks that the vent is useless with these windshields.

but you cant deny these things look awesome!
    [​IMG]

what about the socal windshield? its like a love hate thing for me....sometimes I like it, other times looks too street rodish for me....its a confusing windshield...this one is one of the few that looks great to me at least...

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Hot rod Pics</td></tr></table>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Would it be possible to put some sort of vents on the sides of the cowls to replace the one that was up on the top? Something vaguely like the one on the side of this car.

[​IMG]

Or would that just suck in the hot air streaming out of the louvers on the sides of the roadster's hood?

And if the goal is to cool your feet and legs on a hot day, is the problem that there's so much heat coming through the floor and the firewall? I ask because it seems to me that an open roadster moving at any sort of speed at all would have a fair amount of turbulent air moving around inside the cockpit just because it's, well, an open roadster. Maybe just insulating the firewall and floor better to cut down on the heat coming through those surfaces would make the needed difference.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  22. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

Check this out in the Hamb Classifieds, for Duvall winshield $500:eek:

Attached Files:

23. erlomd

erlomd

anybody know what kind of windshield is this? its obviously the iron man roadster....i like the winshield though....

[​IMG]

24. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

This is mine, two piece, window post and divider home made and the center support is a piece of aero tube as are the review mirror extensions. Just seemed easier than trying to make something "stock" fit.

Rex

Attached Files:

25. erlomd

erlomd

hey that looks great!

26. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

The one that I used is a Duvall style made by Cam Grant in Canada. It's made of silicon bronze and although it needed a little fine tuning for fit and finish , I'm very happy with the look and the fact that you don't get to beat up in the wind .

Attached Files:

27. erlomd

erlomd

nice roadster!, what body is that?
    love the duvall windshield

28. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

On my deuces I've done just dam near all of them 2"/3" chopped stockers. Laid back 3 inch stocker. Duvall (missed my cowl vent) SoCal (like the guy said a little street roddy) An the last one had a Wanless. I'm using a gennie roadster body next and reshaping the cowl like a 36, kicking the back and raising the wheel wells, and with that I'm going with the Wanless and their top. I can always change it down the road. The curved glass really flows nice with the cowl and what the hell I like sitting on the floor.

spiffy1937 likes this.
  29. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

The body is a Brookville .

30. I dont give a poop how much wind I get in my face, it's all about the angle of the rake.

Attached Files: