Register now to get rid of these ads!

What the Heck is this??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chaddilac, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Whoa!! I wasn't trying to take anybody's credit, I thought I linked it together through the Hemmings Blog of the Old Motor post. I won't take NO CREDIT for someone else's sleuthing, just hope it can be "re-discovered"!!! Besides, if the HAMB were around in the '70's, maybe the world would have more than one original Dymaxion!!!!

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

You guys chill before you get the thread closed for bickering like little girls....

3. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Are you going to try to track down the remains?

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

My buddy last saw it a few weeks ago in Okmulgee, OK... he's asking around.

5. The HellyDid

The HellyDid
    from Florida

I hope....that thing is cool and needs to be saved, not by me though, I got to much stuff :)

6. Keep us posted. Now that you know the history...it's on.
    Good luck.

7. I kknew abortion was legal when i saw this thing!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. It has been FIVE years ago today, that Chad, first posted this amazing mystery, that is now solved.

9. Any word on what it was originally powered by? Looks like room enough for even a V8 if you wanted.

10. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Hate and caffene......anything that ugly thats gotta be it.....

(I was wondering the same though, I was even more curious about the drive system, if they used a chain drive or something else)

11. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

The article says that is was front wheel drive with a tail wheel steer. I couldn't tell from the drawing if it had two or three exhaust ports on the drives side. If it was three, I'd bet on a flat head Ford turned around backwards since the rest of it had Ford parts. The front fenders look kind of like Studebaker truck fenders. If it is a tail steer, you can almost bet this guy had seen or heard of Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion car from the 1930's

12. chaddilac

chaddilac

Thanks for the reminder PTDF!!!

13. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

wow! i cant believe this was found! it always stuck out in my mind. the only other mystery was that 57? cadillac with the airplane parts, crazy afterburner things and a supercharger? someplace out in the desert.

i think tax records for that property should be public domain, if you have that address. you could find out who owned the property and then youll have a name to look up at least. wouldnt it be a bummer if after all this time it got sold for scrap like a week before we refind it...

14. well, well,well where is this thing I am worried ?

15. i will not forget i will not forget..................

16. It is time AGAIN to bring this thread back to the top , here on the H.A.M.B.! It has been six years, since the start of this thread. I just know that any new member that has joined in the last year time frame, might need to see this thread.

paperdog, are you out there?

17. verde742

verde742

Find it.....or it will RUB out....

18. from the hamb archive of useless posts .....

19. jazz1

jazz1

From the first post I see in the second last picture a dog,,,an Ibizan Hound to be exact.. Possibly find the mysterious car by searching out Ibizan Hound owners since the breed is not common,,,i know its a long shot,,,this is my Ibizan ..Jazz

[​IMG]

20. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I like it ! Rebuild it, and I bet you'll have the only one in town !!!!!! How cool would that be.

4TTRUK

21. Present and breathing

22. chaddilac

chaddilac

New Update: The daughter of the builder contacted me and is looking for the car. I'm gonna try and help her if I can!! If anyone knows that would be helpful!!!

23. Don't know if this was posted...I just LOVE some of those answers given as to what it is.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  24. Slade C.

Slade C.

Wow, growing up I had always taken this car for granted as the awesome car that my grandfather built.. By the time I came along the car was long gone and all that was left were the original patent documents and a few pictures and the start of a second version of the car.

Alittle background from I have gotten over the years

Front wheel steer and drive with a front end from a Willy's jeep (maybe)
    Mid engine Flat Head V8
    Alot of the parts came from a Buick

There was mention of alot of angle iron used. I would contribute that to him building chicken houses and building his own trusses by trade.

The car wasn't on the roads for very long before the motor was pulled out and remains sat under a carport at my aunts house before it went to Oklahoma..

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. hey ... GOOD LUCK CHAD

26. Johnny Cash couldn't do that I bet? When he was building the caddy one piece @ a time.

27. Well it lives...any updates

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

bump! still havent forgotten, the death of Buckminster Fuller and his streamliners reminded me