Register now to get rid of these ads!

what should the kingpin angle be?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patrick english, Mar 28, 2012.

1. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

i dont know where to find the alignment specs..

2. voodoo kustomz

voodoo kustomz

he brought his spindles over to the shop and im gona fabricate him one...

Attached Files:

3. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

yeah i was guna have bcchopit do it for me but this just worked out better for me.voodoo kustomz is not even a mile from my work.i dropped my spindles and axle off right before work.cool little shop.thanks roger.

4. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

F 100 for 1960 have a factory setting of King pin inclination (KI) 4*, caster inclination of 3* (top rotated rearward) and a camber setting of +1*.

All settings are made with the wheels square to the axle and pointing straight forward.

King pin inclination is viewed from the front position and is the inclination of the steering axis towards or away from the center of the vehicle. It is the angle created by the relationship of the axle boss central axis line to the intersection of a vertical line at the lower point of the measured axle boss.

Caster angle which is seen from the side view and is the angle created by the forward or rearward rotation of the steering axis top position from true vertical position of that axis. Simple terms does the axle top tip rearward (- caster) or forward (+ caster).

Camber not to be confused with steering angle is also seen from the front view, but instead of the measuring the angle that the steering rotates on (king pin inclination), is the angle that the edge of the tire or wheel creates in relationship to a vertical axis drawn thru its center line. Positive + camber angle is created when the top of the wheel points outward from the center line and negative - camber is created when the top of the wheel points to the center line of the vehicle.

Now the tricky part is the spindle design and why spindles should not be swapped from different vehicles randomly. The spindle design contains both the spindle axis (king pin inclination) and camber design.

Camber can be built into the spindle with the relationship of the spindle snout to the angle created by the king pin inclination. If the spindle snout is parallel to the spindle lateral center line there is 0 zero camber at the straight ahead position, camber will be gained or lost as the spindle rotates based upon the spindle inclination angle and the caster setting.

Camber settings an also be build into the axle by angling the axle boss position from the designed inclination axis during fabrication or just bending the axle for greater or lesser position than the initial spindle design setting. This also allows for camber setting for specific application use. Example is a 10* spindle inclination angle and an 8 * axle boss inclination would give a 2* + camber setting ( top tipping out) where as a 11* boss angle and a 10* spindle inclination angle would result in a 1* - camber setting.

Changes in initial camber setting can be made by machining the spindle snout body at an angle different to the spindle inclination axis. By doing this the spindle can have an initial camber setting greater or lesser than 0 and increase or decrease static camber as well as increase or decrease gain during rotation. Most case you will not be doing this because you are using factory spindles.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  5. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

King pin inclination Is what makes the wheel some back to center after a turn.

7. voodoo kustomz

voodoo kustomz

thanx for the the Business Pat, enjoy ur axle,

Roger VOODOOKUSTOMZ714.COM
    Saint City Hot Rods
    Voodoo Speed Equipment

8. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

thanks roger.

(i just wana say this dude is super cool..i work nights just down the street from his shop,and he agreed to meet me at the shop at midnight to pick up my axle..way cool.saved me an extra trip to santa ana..)