Register now to get rid of these ads!

What seats for a 41 Caddy street rod.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curly5759, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Curly5759

Curly5759
    from Aridzona

I have been working on my 41 Cadillac street rod and I am at the point that I want to do the interior. The car is a 2 door fastback (6127d). I removed the factory seat and have some bucket seats from an infinity in there now.
    I am not happy with the fit and would like some advice on what might fit and meet my requirements.

I am hoping to find a late model bench or bucket seat that has built in seat belts, but must be able to fold forward for access to the back seat. Power or manual, doesn't matter. The interior measures 56 inches from the inner edge of each door, so I'm probably looking for 52 inches wide or so.

Thanks for any input

Curly

2. bgaro

bgaro

whats wrong with the original? bring it your friendly neighborhood upholstery shop.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I would be shopping junk yards for nice seats, preferrably from a late model Cadillac. Your car is tall enough that SUV seats might make a good fit. Measure ceiling height as well as width and see if you can find a vehicle of similar dimensions.

The 2 door body will limit you, as you will need seats that fold forward. Possibly from an Eldorado.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless the car is chopped the best fit and most comfortable sitting seat is almost always the original bench seat.

Too modern seats look like hell in most early cars and seats with highbacks or head rests almost always look ridiculous and as more of an afterthought than something that was planned from the get go. I've had probably ten seats in my 48 since I chopped it and the best sitting and best looking was the 66 Toronado seat that was a bench with backs like buckets with an armrest between them. That or an Eldorado seat from that period might work in the Caddy but are getting damned hard to find.

The main thing buckets, bench or what not you want leanbacks that do not stick up higher than the stock leanbacks did. And no headrests unless you have a physical issue that requires them for your safety.

5. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I'm sure the original bench seat fits in there pretty well.

And it will look better than any modern seat you'll put in it.

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I vote the original seat,latemodel seats belong in latemodel vehicles only and just add seat belts.

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Tahoes around the early 2000's have great leather seats with built in seat belts may be a great option.