Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods wHAT REAREND SHOULD i USE??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edgeabilly, Apr 12, 2011.

1. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

I have a 31 Chevy 5w coupe running a 292 IL6 and want a Chevy posi rear. Also any ideas on trannys? I was thinking a Muncie 4 speed but in another thread I kinda got ripped apart for that idea. :D

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

tri five chevy rear with a t5 up front. I had a '55 Chevy rear in my t with welded spider gears which I use to hear a ton a shit for but I loved them. Little crazy around the corners but awesome over all.

3. Are you trying to matcha specific bolt pattern? That may help narrow the choices down. If you already have wheels for instance, get a rearend that has that bolt pattern.

T-5 is nice for the OD gear when you want to drive on freeway. The 292 six has plenty of torque to pull the OD. I was thinking the same thing about a 55-64 Chevy rear as a suggestion. 55-57 are leaf spring, after that they are coil with control arms. But any can be cleaned up and new mounts welded for your 31.

A Ford 8 or 9-inch rearend could also work fine.

4. 70dodgeman

70dodgeman
    from Alpha NJ

Mopar 8 3/4 rears work well and parts are everywhere. I'd run a munchy or a T-10. A friend of mine towed a class A Winnebago up a huge hill near me with a 292 powered van. Torque is not a problem. I knew a few old late model racers at Flemington speedway that ran 292's and put a hurting on the V-8 guys.

5. Oh yea you must run a richmond 6 speed just like they did back in the day. :rolleyes:

A saginaw 4 speed actually would be more than enough tranny for your 292 and keep your cost down. I ran a sag 4 gear behind the 292 I had in my '41 Chevy truck.

You could find a 10 bolt from a Nova. Should be just about the right width and pieces are easy to come by. Or if you want to stay trad perhaps you could find a 8 3/4 rear from a '57/58 Ford. That would give you 5 on 4.5. Or 9" from an early bronco but that would actually be overkill for your engine and vehicle weight.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love the old M 21 Muncies but the collectors and horders have driven the price up out of my range.

I'm probably going to end up with a Saginaw behind the 292 going in my 48 but would like a T-5 out of a Camaro if I can get my hands on one.
    Rear end is a ten bolt posi with disk brakes out of some sort of late 70's Camaro or Firebird that Pete Compos donated to the cause several years ago.

Rear end decisions need to be drawn on Width, bolt pattern and strength enough to handle the engine you have and driving you do. Plus the gear ratio to match the desired running speed of your engine if you are planning on running mostly at highway speeds. It's pretty easy to figure out what the sweetspot rpm for highway running is and match the rear end ratio to tires and engine speed.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  7. I have a 33 Chevy. I used a 10 Bolt out of a 1994 Chevy S10. Width was 54" at the wheel mounting locations. I have a 283 with a 700 R4 trans in mine.

Attached Files:

8. squirrel

squirrel

Id look into using a three speed trans, and 3.08 gears from a 64 chevy car in a 55-57 rear housing.

I can't imagine why you'd need more than 3 speeds in that car.

9. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

i was thinking cursing speed on the freeway.

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whether three or four speed, you'll have a 1 to 1 ratio in high gear, unless you've got an overdrive. So "cursing" speed shouldn't be affected.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was cursing speed on the freeway all the way in to the shop this morning.;)

12. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

cool thanks. I found a
    BORG WARNER SUPER T-10 TRANS w/ Hurst shifter for 600.00 and a Chevy 373 posi - for $850

What do ya think?:D

13. 17rattycaddy

17rattycaddy

Isuzu rodeos and amigos used a dana 44 rear with HUGE axles. Most were posi and all I have found were 4.10 or 4.56. Can buy these things dirt cheap. I think the rodeo was 56" wide. Have real nice disc brakes if your into that kind of thing. I lopped mine off and installed 9" ford drum brakes. Also they have a bitchen' finned aluminum cast cover. I think the chassis code was G56 or G63 for the posi unit. Bad part: 6 lug wheels. Good part: easy to redrill. Be a good match for an OD tranny.

14. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I have a local that parts out 1st Gen Broncos. I get the 9" rear ends all day for $150 with a 350 gear, perfect for highway use and around town.

15. felix37

felix37

I used a Buick grand national rear end under my 37'.It fit perfect! And was posi-trac. Grand nationals are not plentifull, but the Monte Carlos of the mid eighties are the same. I believe they all used the chevy 10 bolt rear.I think the s10 pickup had them as well,and would probably be narrower. They are cheap and plentifull.

16. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

I was going to say that was a lot of money for a 3.73 posi but then I remembered what I have invested in the Dana 44 3.73 Twin Trac for my Stude by the time I replaced the bearings, seals, R & P and upgraded to Fairborn Studebaker's (by Moser) 1 Pc. axles. :eek: Sounds like a deal to me if it's been freshened up. ;)

Buick GN's came with the 8.5" ALL other G-bodies except for 2 years of 4-4-2 came with the 7.5" "riding mower" rear end. Buick GN 8.5" 10 bolts are neither cheap OR plentiful. Empty housings will bring $600 and up. #1 - Sounds like you stumbled on a good buy, #2 sounds like you de-valued an expensive rearend. Sorry.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  17. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Well if you can get the BW T10 for $450.00 and the 373s for $700.00 you could be slicker than snot.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think a 3.73 Posi for 850 is a pretty stiff price unless it has a complete and running car attached to it or it has been completely gone through with the invoice for parts and labor handed over with it. Around here you can get one out of a late 70's Camaro/Firebird for between 2 & 300 and maybe less with disk brakes. Sometimes for less on Craiglslist.

The super T 10 with Hurst shifter is still too rich for me but with the shifters going for close to 300 when you get everything added in that is probably a fair deal.

19. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I read your previous threads about a Muncie. Maybe I missed something, but it didn't seem to me you were "ripped apart for that idea".

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If that is what you want to run, run it. There is always going to be someone that will criticize you for anything you do. You can't live you life, or build your rod to please other people.

I run a T56 6-Speed in my A, and I get crap for it. Who cares.

21. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

Actually I got the newly rebuilt BW T 10 FOR 400.00 WITH A 1YR WARRANTY. Going a different route with the rearend. If ya still have that cowl and door I still have that 250.:cool: