Register now to get rid of these ads!

What kit to shorten a 39 steering column?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by selohssa, Oct 19, 2010.

1. selohssa

selohssa

I saw a kit in a magazine a while back that would allow me to shorten my 39 Ford steering column and still be able to use the factory horn wire. I can't find that article anywhere. Who makes it and have any of you used it? How well does it work? I am running a vega box but still want the 39 column and banjo wheel.

Thanks

2. selohssa

selohssa

Some body has to know what kit this is.

3. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Never heard of "kits" for this mod.

4. selohssa

selohssa

It was featured in R&C or Street Rodder (or a different mag) in the last couple of years. They showed it on a F-1 column but said that it would work on older columns as well.

5. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

can you use whatever you have to adapt it to the vega box, cut the bottom shorter and reattach that on the end?

6. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

You can shorten the column easily and make or purchase the bottom bushing. I use delrin or aluminum with a bearing. The horn wire must exit thru the steering column not the bottom of the shaft. The Limewokrs can guide you through the procedure. The article was in Rod and Custom a few months ago.

Attached Files:

7. selohssa

selohssa

Thanks Pewsplace.

Do you know the name of the company that sells this? It came with the bushing and everything for the horn to work.

8. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

I saw this too, and it's mostly a clever little machined rig to allow use of the horn with the hollow steering shaft. Hard site to find and navigate, but it's BLUNDELL SPEED SHOP. I want one, too! Try the link below. DD

http://www.blundellspeed.com/

9. 4woody

4woody

Here is the article:
    http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com...ford_flathead_power_steering_system/horn.html

FWIW the bearing for between the column & jacket can be handled at most good hardware stores for a few dollars, and Limeworks Speed Shop sells a horn adapter widget like the one in the article too. Last time I looked it wasn't on the Limeworks web site, but call Steve there. He'll set you up. I bought from him and am happy.

10. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

All you need is a sleeve and weld .

11. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

yup, thats what i did....

12. pretty neat idea I have always just used a horn button under or in the dash

13. selohssa

selohssa

Thanks for all of the info.

I called Steve at Limeworks and he does sell that kit. It is not on the website yet but they are adding it soon. He is shipping a kit out for me soon.

14. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Cheers Ryan that will go out tomorrow, we have been doing it in our columns for over 12 years it works good & is easy to fit . I don't know about the Blundell Speed Shop,funny thing my Mom's maiden name is Blundell , Small World :)