Register now to get rid of these ads!

What kind of hood tension spring is this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Rails, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Here's my bad drawing of a tension spring used to hold down old hoods. It can be seen sometimes with the leather hold-down straps.

What would you call this thingy? And I can I buy some cheaply somewhere?

Attached Files:

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The name usually used refers to the Z-ness of it all. Can't remember exactly. There's an advertiser in SOSS who sells them, likely also available via French or British sporty car-Special restoration sources. Used on Bugattis, Amilcars, etc. as well as on many British specials/rods. Are you going to Hershey? I've got a ton of literature and a rubber deuce for the kid to send you.

3. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Thanks for the reply, Bruce.

I really, really want to go to Hershey, but I just can't get away from either work or the kiddie. Which figures: it's probably the best weather Fall Hershey's had in ten years.

But just out of curiosity, when are you going?

--Matt

4. lesabre59

lesabre59

Bruce...whos SOSS.? I have also been looking for these same springs. i posted a pics a couple weeks ago and I got a response to a place that sells the brass springs and rivets for $700 +...definately need a cheaper source

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'll be there Friday AM through Saturday dark. I did a few Hersheys with kid in tow long ago...OK when the kid was just freight in a backpack looking out over the crowd, but just too frantic, crowded, and endless for a toddler. But my kids still talk about neat toys they saw twenty years ago--"Mister, how much is the toy tractor?" "That's $2500 firm, kid". Life sucks when you're six and the adults have bought up all the good toys!

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"Bruce...who's SOSS?"

Secrets of Speed Society, a four-banger speed magazine. Send me a reminder after Hershey and I'll try to find the ad.

7. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Bruce, the little fellow is still feeding about every three or four hours. I would be there if I could, but I really can't.

lesabre59,
    The webpage for Secrets of Speed is:
    www.secretsofspeed.com
    I don't think that they'll help much for these springs. They're good for four-banger information, and are the home for the Riley two-port head. It's run by a guy named Charlie Yapp, and he publishes a magazine every other month.

There is, however, a cool source in England for similar bits and pieces:
    www.completeautomobilist.co.uk/
    I hope that helps.

--Matt

8. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Oh...

As to my original post, I was hoping that someone has seen a similar spring somewhere. Maybe on a toolbox, or perhaps for some completely different application.

If I have to, I guess I can bend four myself. Any advice on what material to use? Or how to build a jig that could compensate for memory spring-back?

Who's wound their own springs?

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I think the co. Bruce was talking about is Restoration Supply co. in Calif. somewhere. They sell all the hardware for the leather strap hood hold downs as well as Rajah clips and other really cool detail items. The catalog is at work. I don't think they have a web site.

10. McGrath

McGrath

You can buy spring-stock in different shapes(round, square,flat,etc.) from McMaster-Carr, but I believe it has to be heat treated after you form it.

11. DrJ

DrJ

I bet there's some simple descripive name for it like a Celtic braid or something. That's what I'd call it i I was naming it, a Celtic Braid Spring. [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Hey Deuce, do you have any Dem on the spring O.D. of wire and length ,width and such. A good picture would help as well. Looks like a fun project. I'm a springmaker/toolmaker and have a little shop. When it's make, I would say SS so it could be polished and spring wire is a must! Let me know if I can help..thanks continental

13. lesabre59

lesabre59

DUECE RAILS.. I just ordered a set from
    Restoration Supply Company
    2060 Palisade Dr.
    Reno, NV 89509
    775-825-5663

They were $19.95 a pop and they are stainless. Didnt see any pics but they decribed them to me over the phone and it sounded like them to a "T", I'll get them in about 5 days and will post pics if your interested