Register now to get rid of these ads!

What kind of battery do you run? Location etc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clockwork31, Nov 21, 2011.

1. clockwork31

clockwork31

Hi, I'm building a 31 model A sedan, I have very little knowledge when it comes to electricity. I need to find what kind of battery to run, I have minimal space cause I have a backseat and the gas tank is behind it, I'm planning to place it on the firewall behind the dash but I'd prefer under the floor. I've heard good things about dry cell Odyssey batteries, I need one strong enough to crank a 327.

So my questions are,

Where your battery is located?

Any issue with the firewall mounting?

What kind do you run? Odyssey PC680 or PC925 are the size I'm looking for but is it powerfull enough to crank a small block?

thanks for your advice.

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I ran the Odyssey 680 in my 23 because I had a real space problem and it was terrific. It would sit for weeks and never failed to crank the engine or to hold a good charge.

When I first saw them I was skeptical because of the small size (7 x 3 x 3) so I called the factory and spoke with the CEO. I told him I was going to use it with a 350 sbc and worried it wouldn't crank it. He told me his car has a 700 hp blown bbc and it cranks it just fine. Turned out he was right. I know some guys who have the same battery mounted under the dash, it is that compact.

Mine was mounted clear in the back of the 23 and even the longer cables were not a problem.

Don

3. squirrel

squirrel

I use the cheapest battery I can get at walmart, and put it in the stock location. Under the floor is a good place for the battery.

One problem with getting a special expensive hard to find battery and making the car so it needs that battery, is that when it dies you might be stuck without being able to find a new battery.

Notice I said "when it dies" not "if it dies"

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I have an odyssey but I'm trying to track down a live wire that is draining it every few days. I pulled the battery for now until I get to it but I've seen a lot of good things from Odyssey from Nascar to hot rods. I bought an old Thor Tool box and mounted it right behind the seat in my '35.

5. big creep

big creep

if you have a radio in it that could be it?

6. turdytoo

turdytoo

I like group 31s truck batteries. With 3/8 stud terminals and brass manifold nuts, cables and connection are easy. You can buy these almost any where and lots of CCA's are available plus the truck battery market is competitive enough to keep the price fair.

7. Weasel

Weasel

I have had great results with Oddyssey PC 925 mounted in the trunk on one car and sideways under the floor in another. I am planning mounting one under the front fender behind the front wheel on a 1940 Willys. I use the Odyssey battery mount sleeve. I also ponied up the cash and bought the Odyssey battery charger - you might want to check out what kind of battery charger to use on AGM batteries....

8. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I'm running a cheap CarQuest battery in my trunk now. Was out in the middle of nowhere when my brand new Optima yellow top decided to give it up in the motel parking lot. Going strong for 3 1/2 years now. I'd think twice about running some oddball shape/size battery. If it gives up in the middle of nowhere, where are you going to get a replacement in a pinch?

9. Dirk35

Dirk35

I always go the local Napa and ask for th emost generic battery and build the batter box and battery tray around it. When it goes dead, I can go to any store and get another the same size.

On my 28 Model A sedan (built by previous owner), the battery is under the rear seat riser, but the seat riser was a home built thing and I had to cut the seat back down about 6 inches to get it under the rear window.

10. 41PICUP

41PICUP

I use a Die Hard, sits in a vintage ice chest in the bed of truck.

Attached Files:

11. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

Still using my JC Penny life time warranty battery from 1975, located in the trunk. Have interstate batteries in most of all the other older cars in the normal front position.
    I still feel the best buy value is a Honda Accord sized battery ..Has 100 month warranty, 3 year full replacement... costs $80 - $100 & is a quality battery.
    Be sure to use a battery tender maintaining charger to get the full life out of those batteries that do not get driven weekly.

12. After using WalMart Neverstart, Exide and Advance Auto Parts junk batteries I went back to Interstate batteries and never looked back.

Sure WallyWorld and others warranty their batteries but constantly taking them back got old.... REAL OLD!

13. clockwork31

clockwork31

Hey guys, wow! Thanks for all the answers! So If I go for the most generic or the cheapest battery to make sure I can find easy replacement if it goes dead what specs do I need to look for? What's the minimum crank amp, cold crank amp etc to be use with a sbc, 450CCA, 600CCA, 780CCA? thanks

14. It depends on the horsepower and compression ratio.

A 600 will be plenty for a stocker unless you have some real power then more will be required.

15. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Running a Kinetik Hc1200.. About the size of a honda accord battery with 1200 alot of juice... They offer a HC800 and Hc600 that is about the size of a 6 pack of cans..

16. Anybody going to mention cost???

An Interstate is about 70 bucks.

I for one don't believe in "cheap" but I also don't believe in "overkill".

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks Creep but no radio. I'm thinking that it just might be the wire that I ran form the ignition to the coil to provide a full 12v during starts. I'll have to see. I do appreciate it though!

18. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Cheap .....where it belongs.
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

19. well i run optima. i have had an optima for over 10 years in one of my pickups. no problems at all. but i have 7 optimas. i will be buying more in the future. and if i get rid of a vehicle i go buy the cheapest walmart battery i can get and keep my optima.

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I buy 84 month batteries from my local BiMart store for $60, and locate them in the right side trunk area in a battery box. I also use battery disconnects on my hotrods, just for additional safety and security. I have fused taps ahead of the disconnect for the radio, so I don't have to reprogram it every time I turn the battery off.

21. Cerberus

Cerberus

If the battery is to be mounted in the trunk or cab, I install an Optima. No fumes. Otherwise, I like Interstate batteries.

22. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

This has been my experience with an Optima red-top, 10 years, still going strong, daily driver only vehicle '49 Chevy 1/2 T.

23. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I have an "on sale" at autozone battery. that said, I like optima's but haven't sprung for one yet. if you're pressed for space look a the closed cell racing batteries. small, light weight and much easier to shoehorn in somewhere.

24. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

Red top Optima in the trunk. Two years old, no fumes, no corrosion, looks brand new, master disconnect switch, spins flathead like a banshee, starts first turn.

25. clockwork31

clockwork31

HC1200 is 330 bucks... I like the size though...

26. BigChief

BigChief

FYI....interesting information I just pulled this off a Consumer Reports like site while searching for a battery for my GF's Subaru.

"Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts."

27. squirrel

squirrel

I buy Interstate batteries (made by Johnson Controls in Mexico) at walmart...they sure cost less.

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Interstate, baby!

29. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Sits up and out of the way on the package tray in the trunk of the 55. The mount is adjustable enough that a regular battery could be put right in place, but this (pre-Mexico made) Optima has done very well. Will always do dry cell from now on for the number of advantages.

Attached Files:

30. big creep

big creep

you know i had the same problem with my 69 chevy, i just put in a hidden kill switch, now i let it sit for months at a time. no dead battery!