Register now to get rid of these ads!

What I've been doing and my Thrash for the Rumble '07

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57JoeFoMoPar, Jul 15, 2007.

1. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Well, the once proud '57 has fallen into a state of disrepair. The bottom end got wiped out about a year and a half ago, so I decided to drop in what I thought was a "good used" motor....which never ran right. After spending all the time and money doing the swap for nothing, I put the car in the garage and figured I'd just deal with it when the time was right. That was over a year ago....

In the mean time I graduated from college, have been working full time 6 days a week, and this week got accepted to Widener Law in Delaware...where classes start in 4 weeks. It dawned on me that if I don't get this thing running now, it's going to deteriorate into a pile of parts I'll wind up selling when I graduate...which is something I swore I'd never let happen.

So the Road Agent's show is less than a week away and I decided that this car needs to be there. As soon as I finish this thread, I'm going to pull the motor out, install a new TCI converter, cam, new lifters, timing chain, and pray to God that it runs well enough to enjoy it for the next 3 years, because Lord knows I won't have the time to mess with it.

Wish me luck....anyone in the area feel free to stop by and have a beer

Attached Files:

2. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

good luck and hope all works well in school!! and beautiful 57!!!

3. Gasser57

Gasser57

Glad to see you still keep her going, even though the school and work stuff is heavy right now. Hope all goes well.

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

That's why you were MIA this weekend! Pete's been asking for you!
    Good luck..wish I could help! I need to get a radio, speakers, and heat/AC controls hooked up in the Dodge this week.
    You'll get it done! I'll buy ya a beer on Friday night!

5. teddyp

teddyp

i will see you in conn. working on my ford too!

6. Good luck.... I'll be looking for your car at the Rumble.

7. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

8. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Thats funny, I'm thrashing for the Road Agents too. But not on any of my junks, customer shit so I have the time to take off. And I'm off to the garage now. I'll call ya man and stop by.

9. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

slick looking '57! good luck, and hang in there. although I never went to law school (takes more brains then I got) I did go to college so I know the money gets tight

10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Eh, could be better, but it's going.

Here's the update...

I was going to try to do all the work with the motor still in the car, but I decided to pull it and put it on the stand where the work would be easier. New gaskets all around, checked out the bottom end and appears to be in good shape, very little ridge at the tops of the bores. Reassembled the engine installed the TCI converter, then dropped the motor back in at 1 am Tuesday. Took yesterday off because dinner and drinks with a pretty lady take priority over a car (I'm serious about cars but I'm not gay).

I took the day off today to finish up. I go to put the convertor bolts in....problem. TCI 11" converter has a smaller bolt circle than the stock converter...I need a new flexplate or put the stock converter back. Since no stores stock what I need around here, I pulled the motor and reinstalled the old converter. Motor is back in, starter, intake is going on in a couple minutes. One of my buddies is coming down to lend a hand, and with any luck, we'll fire it up tonight and take it out.

If anyone is around and wants to stop by, there are plenty of beers and hot dogs.

11. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Damn, and here I was makin subframe rails for a Model A, sellin my truck, and hangin a door and fender on my friend's, friend's, girlfriend's Kia. I missed out, tomorrow night tho.

12. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

well you already know...putting a mopar in a ford is worse than being gay!!

but yeah hope it makes it, i've been workn on my chevy for connect.