Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is your FAVORITE 4 cyl for a HotRod project? MPG-HP !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, May 28, 2004.

1. Are you crazy? those rims/wheels are SPOT ON...

but if ya do change ya mind let me know, as they'd suit my 18RGE powered rpu, I need some more 'appropriate' rims/tyres:D

Attached Files:

2. tjm73

tjm73

3. TexasDart

TexasDart

4 cylinder and FWD..now that would be cool....:)...actually would be really easy to get it low...no drive shaft. You wanna be different ...don't ya...

I would probably go with a late model /6..with a 5speed...they look cool and there are some after market parts.

4. tjm73

tjm73

Kinda along those lines...I've thought it might be feasable to use a FWD engine/transaxle in a rear engine hot rod. That's about as far as I went with the idea though.

5. kiotes

kiotes

I kind of like the four on the left, but the four on the right are nice too.

6. tjm73

tjm73

This is a thread about 4 cylinders. If you want to talk 8's take it to a different thread please. If you don't like 4's don't read threads about them. You post adds nothing to the thread.

7. kiotes

kiotes

OK fine! Has anyone tried to use a 172 International motor in a hotrod? I had a 64 scout with one in there, the thing was bullet proof, and had lots on power for its size. I have seen people take the V8 4v intakes cut them in half and put a 4v carb on them. Not much for tranny ops, but there are alot of smart people on here that could make an adaptor to one.
    My 2 cents

8. tjm73

tjm73

I've never heard of this engine before....... got any pics?

9. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

10. I got my Nissan KA24DE Block and Crank at the machine shop getting honed and check right now...

I need a cool ass chassis to drop it in, and you guys have some cool rides!!! Thanks for the ideas

11. Hey, just some food for thought - has anyone mentioned the little 1.8 and 2.2L Isuzu diesel 4 used in Chevettes, Chevy Luv pickups and like one year of S10? A guy on one of the diesel boards claims close to 50 MPG out of the 1.8 in a Chevette. That almost makes it worth suffering through the fact that you're driving a <I>Chevette</I>. (my guess is on steep hills you have to get out and push, though).

I know it's non-traditional, but with gas prices going up and up and up.. a Shi... err, Chevette weighs like 2100 lbs.... have to think you could build a roadster or maybe even a coupe that light.. if the 50 MPG is really possible, that should scare some hybrid owners. Especially if you can still rig up dual tanks and run it on waste vegetable oil.

12. woodrow

woodrow

If you want more info on the Ford 2.3, try to get a back issue of Hemmings Rods & Performance. (June/July 2002) There is a real good article about rodding the Lima 2.3 from mild to 600 HP.

Woodrow

13. purple

purple

14. Any good articles on the Quad4?

15. kiotes

kiotes

Sorry what I ment was 196 4-cyl. I was thinking of the 152.. This is something else I found. What I didnt know that there was a turbo version out there (would be cool for a hot rod).

International offered the Scout with a variety of engines over the years. The Scout 80 800 A B (1961 - 1965) had the 152 4-cyl. as its standard gasoline-powered engine. From 1965 to 1971, models had options of the gasoline-powered 196 4-cyl. and bigger engines, a turbocharged version of the 152 4-cylinder engine was offered from 1965 to 1967. The Scout II (made between 1971 and 1980) had the following engine options: the 196 4-cylinder. At the time International did not manufacture a diesel engine small enough to be used in the Scout, but the Nissan SD-33 diesel engine became available for the Scout II in 1976. This engine was replaced by the SD-33T turbodiesel engine in 1980.

Kiotes

16. TexasDart

TexasDart

I think the diesel 4 cylinder would be cool..you could even brew your own diesel...maybe have the distiller in the vehicle...:) Stop at McD and fill up with french fry oil...or maybe the donut shop..

17. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

anyone know if this 1.8 and 2.2 isuzu diesel was a 49 state thing? I don't think I've ever heard of these little diesels, thinking it may just be because I'm in the emissions bastard state...we don't have more efficient vehicles here, just more smog inspections and restrictions to generate income.

if you're talking about a fwd 4 banger, the 88-92 sohc d18 civic engine or the dohc vtec are incredible engines: reliable, awesome mileage and a billion replacement and aftermarket parts.

18. and no torque/power until 5000 rpm... LOL

19. If you want REAL different, use a Crosley welded block! You won't get ANYWHERE fast, but it'll stir up LOTS of conversation...

20. mercjoe

mercjoe

Argentine Dodge 1.8 (1977-83)

21. DVierstra

DVierstra

Believe it or not a 2.5 liter (4cyl) 4-tech. Little sucker got at least 28 Miles to the gallon. I got over 200,000 miles out of that sucker and didn't burn a drop of oil! That little motor had so much torque It kept breaking the top motor mount (shock absorber type)! Went to a solid mount after breaking two of the others. No wonder they made police cars out of them.

DV

[​IMG]

22. tjm73

tjm73