Register now to get rid of these ads!

what is with people with cars that SELL their stuff?!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt R, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. everytime I go and look at a car or parts for sale, they are always overpriced so I offer half or less of asking price and never get the deal. Then the person turns around and sells the item for his asking price. One guy said, "you know it is like opinions and asses, every one has one and there is an ass for every seat, I'll wait until the right ass comes along". What is with these people?
    Ready, set, go let the as--- oops opinions roll.

2. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

There is a buyer for everything, if its something you really need or want sometimes you have to step up to the plate. A steal is'nt always available and you have people who are willing to spend money on there toys.

3. Yeah, what are they thinking? What would make them take twice what you are offering? It is indeed a mystery.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Reminds me of the guy I used to go to flea markets with. ALWAYS had to offer 1/2 price or LESS, never got the items. Then I had to listen to him bitch all the way home about "Should have offered more" etc. Step up pay the price and move along.

5. DrJ

DrJ

I could see your question making a lick of sense if you sajd the seller eventually sold the item for LESS than YOU OFFERED but obviously you are a cheap idiot, did I say cheap? who thinks he's going to steal everything he runs across.
    You sound like you're probably just a fuckinhuckster too, who just wants to steal the item for half it's value so YOU can turn it for what is obviously a fair market price.

SO, SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Furthermore;
    I think people who buy stuff just to turn it again the next day are part of the problem. If you don't want something, (other than oe of those dubious buy it now or that shreader over there is gonna destoy it starting right after lunch deals,) leave it for someone who actually WANTS TO KEEP IT to buy.

6. Have you ever gone to a nice home and noticed 7 or 8 nice pieces of art? Or maybe they have 3 couches as well as a nice deck with several places to sit? Do you say they have to much art or to many places to sit?
    Same thing, we just enjoy looking at and having car stuff. You can't drive more than one car at a time so if practicality was the point nobody would have more than one car. Who want's to be practical?
    Stop your winning and being "CHEEP"!! Money isn't worth a Fuck. Ever take out all your Hundred doller bills and have people admire them? Fuck No!!
    40 years ago 40 bucks was like 4K today. It isn't about money, it's where you find enjoyment. I enjoy collecting stuff and could afford it 40 years ago but not today. That's why most of us Old Fucks don't want to sell our stuff. We can't afford to replace it and we enjoy it.
    Here is a hint. When aproching us Old Fucks, a little respect goes a LONG way's. Don't try to insult us because you really just annoy us! You should understand it's part of our life, some have just done better than others.
    The Wizzard

7. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

WHOA guys CHILL.

DrJ couldn't be more WRONG on this one..

OG 001 is probably one of the smartest guys on the Hamb.... we can all learn from him...

He just wants to build a Hot Rod that he can afford, that isn't a shitbox.

Some of the prices these guys get for shitboxs is crazy, you can't really blame them though if someone is willing to pay.

There's still alot of deals out there for sure, but you have to hunt.....
    You just can't buy from the middle man..

Anyway, OG OO1 I saw a 32 sedan body last weekend that might have your name on it....... PM me and I'll give you the lowdown....

8. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

BTW OG stands for "Old Guy"

He's no punk........ You fags need to relax.

9. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

I think this cat's just being a smart-ass. Well at least I hope so:mad:. Just to see if he can get everybody all hot like the other "Won't SELL" post only worse. Let's let this one fall of the page.

10. Wizzard you rock- couldn't have said it better myself

11. OG 001 looks like Bleed likes you so you can't be all bad.

But here's the deal, I price my stuff to sell. I don't give a damn about money, if I did I'd probably have some. Never the less if I'm selling it and you offer me half of what I'm asking I'm probably going to shine you on just like everyone else. There's always a little wiggle room built into every price but you got to be realistic.

If something is priced way outside your budget look someplace else.

I don't know what you're lookin' at but if you're lookin at Duece stuff as Bob suggested then the rule of thumb is think of the most outragious price your brain will allow then double it. That's what Deuce means.

I'll agree with you that prices are way out of hand these days. The highzoot guys have made sure of that. Buts that's the way it goes, the day of the $30.00 project is long gone. Don't get 'em in a bunch, take your time and shop the right deal will come along or you will have saved up some more cash or both.

12. DrJ

DrJ

I think so too.
    And yea, I was coming off all hot because I just finised my second cup of black Colombian Java and I was ready for some varbal FUN, but I am CHILL, just funnin around before breakfast...
    Words always look more intense in black and white...
    but still, looking at this guys list of cars owned.. he's had to turn them two or three cars a year, which means he does know the game and it just caught up with him and it's no fun any more, or his "OG" pension won't let him play as hard as he used to, like Pist-n-broke said.

13. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

Bob, I had a lot of respect for you up until this post, What the fuck?
    I read what the old guy wrote and I agree with the Doc, if you offer half what the asking price is no matter how overpriced you think it is, you will probably not buy it. So stop bitchin if someone else steps up and pays the price to complete a project.
    30 years ago I paid $100 for a 32 sedan body, they aren't as plentiful anymore,I expect to pay considerably more, If I have the money I step up, if not I don't go on a traditional message board and wine like an some old bitch because I can't pay the going rate.

confusious say " don't bring water pistol to shotgun fight!"

14. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

Well said!

15. Paul

Paul
    Editor

are you trying to say that you offer what you think the part is worth,
    or are you saying you just fuck with the seller?

sounds more like the latter

16. Squablow

Squablow

Does everyone here know what sarcasm is?

17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

You're kidding right? You offer 1/2 & expect to get it. Here's a bit of an education. Do you own a home? If so You've notice a 250%(I'm being conservative here) increase in property values everywhere! Gasoline has shot up 100% in the state of California within the past several years. Aluminum has gone up like 45% with in the past 2yrs, so like are you thinking that these peolple sellling these parts aren't gonna be hep to what's happening around them? I hate to say it but it ain't 1946 anymore, Cylinder heads aren't $65-70 any more & neitiher are Quickies @ $250.00 Yes, they too have gone up 100% over 60yrs which by my calculations are far below the infation rate, So any of these that are in good condition or even NOS. are still the deal of the lifetime. When I want something, I step up! I don't beat the person down to walk away thinking,
    Man I just scored,what a sucker,they beileved my sob story!"
    If you want something bad enough,you're gonna figure out a way to get it for a fair price period!
    Nuff said there.

18. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I think some folks missed yesterday's goober thread. :)

19. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Not another one of these threads...

Times have changed, shit is expensive unless you really work at finding what you want. The stuff is out there... either pay up or do some digging.... you might find what you want for cheap if you look hard enough.

20. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

BTW gotgas everytime I read your sig I have a mental image of that greasy Darnell chompin' on the cigar... gross.

21. Isn't that :rolleyes:?

22. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

I'm not looking for respect....

BUT, I do have a TON of respect for OG 001, he may have worded this post bad, but he is as stand up a guy..... He actually worked on my Roadster with my Uncle in 1956, in high school shop class....

I buy stuff at half the asking price all the time..... I'm not insulting about it at all, I just explain that it may be worth what they are asking, but I can only afford this..... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...

I'm not trying to fuck with the seller, I'm just being honest as to what I would be willing to pay...... The worst that can happen is they say no...

No big deal.

I just talked to a guy with a 42 Ford with a Pontiac in it..... Old Hot Rod.....The guy origionally told me it was a merc with an Olds, but it wasn't. He dragged it out of a farm field, diddn't even know what it was and sold it on ebay because he figured it was worth something.

No Passion, just wanted the buck..... he may as well sell sheep or something..
    The guy doesn't care about Hot Rods, or who buys them as long as he makes his buck...... I think OG 001 was refering to these types of sellers.

Now I won't blame anyone for for making a buck.... Good for them, but it sucks sometimes for the guys who just like old cars.... thats all.

I've bought Hot Rod parts instead of paying my mortgage more than once.... priorities, you know.

23. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

not anymore!!! the wife will have your balls!!!
    [​IMG]

24. 53burb

53burb

OK. I am going to make this clear and simple. There is always deals brewing for all of us. Look at the HAMB here. That is why we have it. Hello? Ya get it? This is a place for "US" to give each other a great deal and help each other out in this overpriced world. We all know that there are those that think their shit is worth the weight in gold. Let someone else pay the price of what they are asking. There will always be deals to be made or had. I got my wagon off of ebay. It did not meet what the guy was asking for and I told him if it did not sell, to call me or I would call him to stick at what my offer was. He did so and I got the car. Just an example. I also got a set of Halibrand rims from a fellow HAMB'r, dodgerodder, for $375.00 and he paid for the shipping. Ya can't get any better than that. And Halibrands are way over priced and I got copies! That is a fuckin steal! By the way, thanks to Dodgerodder for the great deal! KNUX!

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Try this the next time you are selling at a fleamarket. When someone asks you the price and offers you HALF, say YES, then watch him squirm when he can't come up with the bucks. Works best when there is a crowd of people around.

26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

every opportunity is unique

sometimes a seller does need to be fucked with,
    sometimes the buyer needs to be fucked with too,
    sometimes they can both just fuck each other..

just kidding of course,
    I've bought and sold enough stuff to know how a deal should go down,
    after I walk away, when I have time to analyze the transaction,
    ..when it's too late :rolleyes:

Paul

27. RonC

RonC
    from Montebello

I realize the original post was was just a goof but there are some guys that are way overpriced and I think they really don't want to sell their stuff. You see them year after year at the swaps with the same exact stuff set out. It doesn't bother me because it helps when I sell.

About once a year, I end up with enough extra parts I wont use and haul them out. People usually see their prices and run back to me to buy the same part at half the price.

There are ways to get stuff from these guys at a great price. If you find something that they usually sell for a ton of money really cheap, offer to trade it for something you need. You get the overpriced part you needed for the price of the part you traded and those greedy shits think they screwed you on the deal. I've done this a couple of times and I crack up everytime I walk by their booth and see the part I traded still sitting there.

28. monsterflake

monsterflake

where IS the sarcasm button on this thing?it doesn't seem to be working very well, cause everybody's missing it...

29. 53burb

53burb

I was in the middle of adding something else to this post until my 'puter decided to take a leave of absense on me. Fuckin things! If it weren't for the technology, I wouldn't have gotten to know all of yer sorry asses on here! Just joking fellow HAMBS! One more ex: I bought a '54 Chrysler Windsor coupe off of chopped50ford. I cannot say the price but I did not bitch about it. It was complete other than no engine and trans. Get this, he even chopped the damn thing too. You tell me that that is not a pretty buck in itself to do such a task! My thanks go out to chopped50ford and all those that I have gotten great deals of the century.....ok, of my time, from fellow HAMB'rs like them. KNUX!

30. 5window

5window

So we got threads of people who won't sell their shit and people who want too much for it. Realistically,there are guys who want the sky and the moon for something and there is probably somebody who will pay a ridiculous amount above what is fair and reasonable just to get it.

Nobody is going to cut their price 50% so don't be insulting-it's fair to offer 10-20% less,especially if it's the end of a show or swap meet. If it's something you want or need,know what's fair and pay the price, or pay the inflated price just to get it, or walk away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.