Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is this trunk lid from?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J'st Wandering, Mar 9, 2013.

1. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I bought this trunk lid hoping it was a Model A. After I looked at it for a bit, I see that it is not for a Model A. What do you think it is for? It measures 40 inches wide and 30 inches long. A Model A is 36 wide and 31 long.

It looks like I could chop it up and make it fit a Model A but if someone can identify it as being valueable for another car, I would not cut it up. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I did a google search and found a picture that looked similar for a 1932 Chevy. What do you Chevy guys think? The spot where the hinges attach looks similar.

Neal

3. This is a '32 Chevy , Looks different to me.

Attached Files:

4. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Yes, that doesn't look the same.

The picture that I found was from a thread of Chopper526 here on the HAMB. As I understand it, the car he is working on is a 32 Chevy. The area where the hinge mounts looks similar.

Neal

Attached Files:

5. It goes to whatever cars had the hinge bolts showing on the outside. Can't be too many of those.

6. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

Im thinking early dodge

7. It looks like Oldsmobile. I could really use that! Here's what was left of my 1932 Oldsmobile trunk lid.- It was cut for a VW engine by the previous car's owner.
    [​IMG]

8. I just measured my '32 Olds lid and it is the same, and that looks like the same inner panel. I bet that's what yours is. Don't cut that up, I searched hard for one and never found any.

9. It may be different because that is a rumble seat lid (in the car photo). Notice where the pivots used to be mounted on the sides of the lid. Notice the car has a striker at the top of the "trunk". That would be for the rumble seat handle/latch. Someone has altered it to work as a trunk lid.

10. Yeah, it has been heavily altered to put it nicely.

I was going by the holes in the inner stamping,
    although they may be different on a rumble vs trunk lid also.

11. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Thank you for all the feedback. I am guess that it would have a home on either the Chevy or Olds. I won't cut it up for now. Of all the odd things, I have a rusted up back half from a 1932 Chevy coupe. I will have to take a look and see if this lid would fit.

Thanks again.

Neal

12. There was way more Chevs than Olds in 1932, so better chance it is Chevy. They possibly could've been the same trunk lids, like alot of the other parts. I've only seen the Chev lids with the inner panel like Flowmeister posted, so I never searched for a Chevy lid. I'll have to start looking, since Olds have been impossible to find.

My pic, is my stock Olds inner panel just sitting on a repro '32 Chevy outer skin. So they are very close in size-
    [​IMG]