Register now to get rid of these ads!

what is the current best way to sell a car out of state?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rickyracer1962, Jan 17, 2011.

1. I have someone interested in buying my truck. They are in Tennessee. What is the preferred way to handle this kind of transaction these days? PayPal? wire transfer? bank deposit? I did a search but didn't find anything too current. let me know what has worked well for you guys please!
    Rick

2. fonti

fonti

bought cars in the US and I'm even from out of your country...
    Bank transfers was smooth and easy for me and the seller. Works just fine.

3. second that. bank transfers ARE the only way to go.

4. fonti

fonti

I forgot:
    there is NO reason, that a buyer would not just pay the whole selling price before he needs any paperwork or so.
    and there is NO reason that YOU have to pay any transport companies (ok, if that is a part of the deal then yes), or storage fees or anything else.
    And there is absolutely NO reason to even answer mails from guys that are from let's say Spain but study right now in the UK and would send you a check and then want you to give the car free!! You can see the money on your bank account but the money is not yours till the bank cashes the check in Spain (in this case). So they can get the car and after 2-3 weeks the bank says that the check is no good and you're really fuc...

I don't know if those thieves try that in the US, too. But over here in Europe they still do that and I guess sometimes they have "success"!!

If a guy from out of state or out of the country really wants the car, he or she pays for it first. I'm writing that because some sellers are afraid to do deals with people like me from Europe...

5. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

I have sold cars both out of state and out of the country and bank transfer is the best option.Be sure to take pictures of the car on all corners with it up on the truck before it leaves the house.I had sold a guy a willys pick up and it was being shipped to North carolina via large car hauler.They put the truck on the very top over the cab and when it arrived to the buyer the rear fenders were missing.He was very pissed off and was directing it at me.I told him I had pictures of the truck on the hauler WITH the fenders on it.I sent him the pics and he had nothing else to say.So, take pictures.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  6. Only a crackhead would accept big money through Paypal, between the fees and their willingness to refund the buyer at the drop of a hat.

If you take a check verify it with the issuing bank before accepting it.