Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the best reaction you have gotten from people?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Jack Sandeen

Jack Sandeen

The first, best comment was when I took my '49 5 window to a show on a hot day in Kansas, 4 hours from home, before the interior was much more than a horse blanket... day's almost over and had been positive, but now I'm tired and trying to catch some shade. A guy walks around the truck several times, arms crossed in front of his chest, looking like he has a problem. I screw up my courage and ask him what's wrong. He cracked a smile and said "I have 3 or 4 of these parked on the farm, and I've never before seen the possibilities."
    Next best was a little old lady asking me for a ride in my bubble machine.

2. Justin B

Justin B

last year when i still had my 35 truck i stopped for gas out by barona, a lady probably in her 70's on the other side of the pump comes over and looks at the truck and says how she used to go out with a hot rod guy back in the 60's-70's. told me how they used to go to the prowlers picnics, and get drunk all day, and that times seemed real tame now compared to back then. i'm getting ready to head out of the station, she reached in her car to honk the horn to get my attention and she flashed me....... looked like two raw eggs hanging off a couple nails. creeped me out but was so funny i laughed about it all weekend.

yblock57 likes this.
  3. Larry T

Larry T

Here's one that anyone that rode a Harley in the 70's recognizes.
    Parents going out of there way to not look and kids grinning, waving, piece (ok, how about peace) signs.
    Larry T

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  4. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

this happened recently...made me laugh..this guy came up to me at a car show, and said he had one just like it and asked "its a '40 ford isnt it?" haha

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. Brog

Brog

Hahahha

6. Roadmistress

Roadmistress
    from Van Nuys

These have been a LOT of fun to read!

I've had a lot of really good ones...

First, and most regularly, is when someones pulls up next the Nova and sneaks a peek, only to blurt out something like "Holy shit it's a girl!" Occasionally, I get, "Why are you driving a man's car?"

I cruise Mulholland a lot, and one night I had a young woman with a car full of girls pull up next to me at a red. She started yelling out the questions: "Is it hard to drive? Is it hard to fix? Do you drive it alot? What's a good classic to drive everyday?" Awesome!

In the Roadmaster, I find that more than anything she's an elderly man magnet. Once, though, I had an old lady tell me, "I'd love to drive that Roadmaster but I don't think I could see over the dash!"

What's with my propensity for "manly cars" and "old lady cars?"

7. rittmeister

rittmeister
    from texas

We took the Hawk to my aunt's for Thanksgiving last year. I had told my wife, Teresa, about the reactions and looks I get from people whenever I put the Hawk on the road. Anyway, we had just pulled up to a light when my wife asked "So..where are all these groupies of yours that stare at our car...? Oh..there's one now...''

Got an actual mouth open double take on Eldorado in Mckinney...and had a guy and his wife follow me to my house just to ask if they could take pictures of the Hawk.

But the BEST reaction is from my daughter Grace..she was almost 5 when we brought the Hawk home..she hugged the fender.:D
    Grace named the Hawk too..."Pretty"..I have a Studebaker Hawk named "Pretty".
    We have a 4 wheel pet...:eek:

8. big bad john

big bad john

.......Best reaction came from a old couple a few years back......At a car show with my 40 Ford coupe and theis very old couple came up to look at the car.....the husband ask his wife if she remembered the night they made love in thier 40 coupe back in 1952......The wife turned very red....

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Gary Meadors and his clan show up in Tulsa once a year and meet at Hot Rod Garage. A lot of rodders show up and we all go to lunch.

When we got ready to leave for the restaurant, they all asked Gary who he was riding with...he looked at my old coupe and said "I'm going with Larry". :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Smiles and thumbs up from people while its pouring rain; had this reaction several times while driving my bias plyed, open wheeled, topless roadster. My son still talks about a drive home from a cruise night in the rain as the funnest ride he's ever had.

11. havi

havi

I soooo look forward to this day as well.

My only reaction, which had me quite puzzled, was when I drove my '88 Tbird through the McDonald's drive-thru, when the window guy said, "Vintage classic!"
    I'm like, "what?"
    "Your car, classic."
    "Oh, ok, thanks."

12. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I just left the Mooneyes Open House on my way home driving this..........
    IMG_0607.jpg
    Going down the freeway, I'm in the #4 lane, cruising along. Suddenly I hear someone blasting their horn. I look over and it's a Hot Redhead in a Mercedes 500SL with the top down. She's smiling and waving.........

13. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

When I drive my 50 Ford I get a lot of guys telling me stories about when they had one back in high school. I enjoy listening to the stories.

But the best thing I have heard is "I have cash"

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would have to be the gal riding with a guy in his new BMW a few years that was giving me a big smile and looking like she thought wheeling down the road in the 48 would be more fun than riding along in the Beemer. Then he caught her and nailed the gas and took off down the road.

15. 57J2

57J2

One time, back in high school, my parents were out of town for the weekend, so I snuck out my mom's 58 Impala. We took it bracket racing, and though it wasn't very fast (17.80 dial in) it was consistent. I think I went 3 rounds that night. After racing we took it out cruising with the dial in still on the window. At a stoplight a car load of babes pulled up next to us. One of the girls leaned out the window and asked me if that's how much I paid for it. They all busted out laughing. I thought that light was never going to change !!!

16. My 8 year old grand daughter came over the other day and wanted to sit on my Bonneville bike. Grinning from ear to ear she says to me.......

" When I grow up, if you are stil alive, will you teach me how to ride so I can race this for you?"

17. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

As I pulled into the parking lot of Home Depot in Oklahoma City in my turquoise 1939 Ford, there was a dozen people walking out of the store, fanning out in every direction headed for their cars. Every one of them saw my car at the same time and every one of them smiled. It made quite an impression on my new girlfriend.
    Try for that in your late model car!

18. Greezeball

Greezeball

Best one I've had is ....
    Quite a few years ago(nearly 20) I had a '60 Pontiac 2 dr sedan that was pretty much a POS but looked cool, it was black primer on chrome reverse rims with pinner whites and torched coils so the rockers wer3 about 3 inches of the ground. While waiting in a McDs drive through I hear a kid shout "MOM! IT'S THE BAT MOBILE!!"
    Awsome!

19. Went to PASO for the first time out in the car.Actually first road trip in it=untested for the long haul. Saw an elderly gent(think 80 or so),and what looked like his son approach me.We talked a bit,and his quote was- "If I had that car,I would've gotten all the ass in town". I couldn't even reply,and my mouth was just hung open.... I thanked him and just stood there dumbfounded.....

Attached Files:

20. havi

havi

Now that's traditional!

21. raidmagic

raidmagic

That's pretty damn funny!:D

22. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

As I rolled up to a neighborhood stop sign yesterday, a young guy on a classic Schwinn cruiser came around the corner. I saw his eyes get big and his mouth form "wow!"
    He was so busy looking at the car that he never saw me

23. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

this happened about 5 minutes ago during a phone call with my best friend. after about 5 years, you'd think he would've known better:
    me-we were driving down the street in the old chevy the other day
    him-what old chevy?
    me-that green beat up truck, sitting in our frontyard
    him-oh, what do you mean you were driving down the street?
    me-well you see, when you put gas into a internal combustion angine and run power to a friction source, it will usually get you moving.
    him-wait wait wait, your telling me that thing drives?!
    me-*sigh*

so needless to say he is on his way over to go on a ride with me and my dad to the scrapyard to drop off a load of metal.

24. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Thanksgiving 2008, gassing up the Stude to go into the InLaws for dinner and a kid in a Jeep slowly rolled past staring at it and grinning like the village idiot. He rolled down his window, looked up at me and in his best stoner dude voice said " AWWWWESOME!", nodded a couple times and drove off.

25. Gman0046

Gman0046

Best reaction I've gotten from people is " would you sell it".

26. Blue Coupe

Blue Coupe

One "lady friend" of the family came out to the shop to check out the coupe with her hubbie in tow. After walking around the car her only comment was,"so why is the glass in the wing window cracked"? She could only see a old car.

The best was a older man, who thought it was the coolest thing he had seen since he was in high school back in the day when he wanted a 40 coupe with a merc flathead real bad......

27. busguy71

busguy71

Oh what a perfect thread for today!

My buddy just called me, he took a drive through the UConn campus with his '52 chevy, one of the UConn basketball players says to him "Yo man, that ride it hot! If a chick saw that she'd get INSTANT WETNESS!!!!"

Hence, my buddy's ride is now named "Instant Wetness"

28. chubbie

chubbie

I got flashed!:D

29. I think the car than got more attention than any other i've owned was one I bought already chopped and running...a 50 ford tudor built by a local guy who's also on the HAMB..kept it long enough to sell to finance my 40 chevy coupe project...
    Most people asked if something got dropped on the top.

Attached Files:

30. franklgr

franklgr
    from SWPDX

Oregon is one of two states where you can't pump your own gas. So there I was standing at the back of my OLD Corvette watching the kid hold the hose putting gas in the tank. He's looking at the car carfully then takes his knukle and thumps the body a couple of times. Looks at me as says "hey, is this a kit car? Its fiberglass!!!!