Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What I am I missing about muti-thousand dollar paint jobs? The anti Patina counter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robert J. Palmer, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Really? Two of the fastest and most winning NASCAR modifieds Lou Lazzaro's 4 and Lenny Boehler's Old Blue.
    Both focused on engine and chassis handling and putting the power to the ground. They also had an issue with authority and let the cars get so bad to Piss Off the brass at NASCAR.

Lazzaro's car was so bad body wise it was going to be turned away at Martinsville for a NASCAR modified race.
    It was only after it was explained that it was a top runner in the north east it was allowed to run.
    upload_2019-11-10_18-57-56.png upload_2019-11-10_18-57-10.png upload_2019-11-10_19-0-37.png

Please note that I would never let my own cars get this bad, but if either of these cars was found to replace panels or put shiny paint on them would be incorrect because they did not run that way.

jimgoetz likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like paint and chrome. Can't help it. Just a guy from the 50-60's. image.jpeg image.jpeg

impala4speed, Jay71, jimgoetz and 6 others like this.
  3. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I agree with the OP. I like original patina and I like decent paint jobs. I even like some cars in primer. But when I see the Ridler cars, they are the farthest thing I can think of from a Hot Rod. I respect and appreciate the time and effort that goes into them but to me they are just art or jewelry.

4. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 41 pickup that has patina on it and I have been driving it locally based on it's mechanical "worthiness". I have people tell me that they like the truck just as it is and that "if it was theirs, they would just drive it as it is". I usually don't respond , but if they press on ,I reply " it's lasted this long; it deserves better".
    As far as paint stick door and panel gaps, I'm not good enough and I'm not willing to pay someone who is. I prefer shiny paint and I think the painting process is as much about preservation as anything. I haven't kept track of build costs on any of my projects because if you're not selling it doesn't matter. When I was young ratrods were thought of as junkers or roundy round cars or maybe parts cars and paint and body didn't matter. However, I did sell a '39 tudor parts car body to a young man who wanted to make a ratrod. I hope he changed his plan when he started working on the project. JMHO. BTW, I'll bet I have closer to $3000 in all the materials to paint my avatar.:D

loudbang likes this.
  5. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.
  6. This is the problem I'm up against, so many people out in public and here on the HAMB say they really like it the way it is don't change it, some days I like it too but other times I want to see it in paint. TheMoose and Madfish have been helping me slowly make the changes I want to do through Photoshop , but I've not asked them to change the color, I have major hospital bills due to cancer, ( but not a physical issue with cancer) so I've been picking up parts here and there for the changes, good bumpers are hard to find an not cheap and I don't know how many "year, make an models" are the correct length and curvature for a '47 Ford, hole aligment is of no concern. Anyway I tend to sit on the fence about this, I do agree that some cars deserve the royal treatment while others are beautiful with high dollar paint or a Macco paint job or patina an to those who do their own painting sometimes they still have to make a hard decision . To each his own whether for the sake of design or budget, its all good. BigO

Future look I'm planning...
    48 (1)2.jpg
    As it is now...
    20191104_120336.jpg

Gotgas, guthriesmith, adam401 and 3 others like this.
  7. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

When I was a kid growing up in the 60's My uncles always had 4 to 6 year old hardtops or converts and they where always washing and waxing them. My older cousins may have had 10 year old 55 chevys or what ever they could afford , but they where always 2 doors and may have had some primer spots because they shaved and decked them or made minor repairs . But the final intent was always shiny paint, Earl Schibe, but always shiny! My first World of Wheels in Milwaukee was 1968, I was 13 and its been chrome and shiny paint ever since. I spent 50 years becoming the best metal and paint man I could! I can do any aspect of car building including interior and have won many Best of Show and Best paint awards. To me any car that has worn paint, rust and a frayed interior is just a project car in waiting! I have a 1964 Merc Marauder that is a South Carolina car ,low mileage original interior , chrome and a 20 year old repaint. It will never get a frame off redo, but it will get a nice repaint , I will fix and buff the stainless and re chrome a few pot metal parts and replace the carpet. It will also be modified to resemble a factory super stock. I like my cars to look like they go a 150 standing still , but 75 on the interstate is all they need to do. So unlike a lot of guys I know of or have built cars for there will not be 10 grand plus in the motor! My 51 Merc is a ground up build. It is my style and preference. Whether you get it or not , at least respect it as I do your choices! Larry

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  8. I love shiny paint and chrome!!
    As long as someone else is paying for it and owns it..
    I’ve owned that perfect car, continuously judged as perfect paint by others. Owning the thing brought me ulcers not joy.
    I get the natural look, plus it’s way cheaper.

lippy, BigO and scrap metal 48 like this.
  9. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I love all old cars. Doesn’t matter to me if they have a expensive paint job or 3 to 4 fist sized rust holes. To me the cars paint finish is just part of the whole picture - some well finished cars are just junk others are perfect in every way. Some fall somewhere in between.
    Then there’s cars that look rough on the exterior but are kept in excellent condition every where else that it matters - while others are just junk. Some fall somewhere in between.
    Then another part of the whole picture is the cars owner it doesn’t matter whether the car is shiny or on the rough side - some are friendly to talk to others not so much. Some fall somewhere in between.

Stock Racer likes this.
  10. This is a real problem. I have vehicles in various states (no all over rust though), I enjoy driving them and parking everywhere (night or day, rain or shine). I DON'T go to shows to show off my cars (rarely go to show anyhow) and NEVER use the "P" word.....it's just dumb.

I don't do this for accolades from others, I do it for me, because I have to........like any good junkie would :).

Build what you want, drive what you want.....but do it in a safe manner.

11. Watch it now . You might find some folks here who actually agree with this statement. ;)

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s sad, I’d compliment you on how it looks now. It’s great, but primer and cleared rust is not my thing..

loudbang likes this.
  13. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

Thank you very much.

loudbang likes this.
  14. I want to say that it's passed time for a Tech Week, but the tech would probably on how to distress your paint to achieve that rat rod patina.

Squablow, RMR&C and Special Ed like this.
  15. Special Ed

Special Ed

Yes, really ;) ... It's basic science, and has been proven repeatedly in wind tunnel tests. The less surface tension there is, aerodynamics are improved, and that equates to faster speeds. Doubt me? Tell it to NASA and the Bonneville teams. :rolleyes:
    Shiny is faster.

Slopok and Chili Phil like this.
  16. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

I like natural 'patina'. The recreated BS is akin to the potato in the shorts deal, disco era. ( In the front Timmy, in the front!!):eek:
    :D

joel and fourspeedwagon like this.
  18. Slopok

Slopok

I don't recall the brand name but there was a wax or polish that claimed it would increase your top end speed due to less drag. A lot of racers used it.

Chili Phil and Special Ed like this.
  19. adam401

adam401

Man that car is badass both ways bro. Sick!

20. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Good catch, I didn't see that until you pointed it out. I remember going to the races when I was a kid and hearing over the track pa system things like "car 137 needs a starter, If you have one see John at the pit entrance. He says he will pull it and give it back at the end of the nights program."

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  21. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

You nailed it for me.

Stock Racer likes this.
  22. Monte 123

Monte 123

Where does the idea come from that Maaco paint jobs are cheap? Not expensive as some but they ain't Earl Sheib either, not even close. You'll find their prices are about the same as any newer car collision shop. Being a franchise, probably more reliable than most no name shops. Typically they receive good reviews.

Personally I do my own, I totally get why a great paint job costs what it does and that's what I want. The problem is, less than honest body shops, by far most of them, charge for work they don't do, proper prep and body work before the paint goes on.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  23. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Let me grossly over-simplify this. There are builders and there are drivers. One will likely never understand the other.

24. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Ever wonder why a golf ball has the surface it does? :D

Chili Phil likes this.
  25. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I was watching a show on the tube last week talking about A.M.B.R. or Riddler Cars and they were talking $100 grand paint jobs. Sorry, I just can not comprehend those numbers for paint.

BigO likes this.
  26. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Is this one of those Huell Houser questions?

Flathead Dave and Chili Phil like this.
  27. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'm not sure. :)

28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dimples on a round surface is totally different than a car. If it were true for vehicles every land speed vehicle would be dimpled. I’m not saying that dimple tape hasn’t been used on certain surfaces to break laminar flow and surface tension but if were true George Poteets car would look like a golf ball on the surface. It doesn’t.....

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Put me in with the builders, not the finishers. Bob

30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This being a traditional forum I had to point out a faux pa, traditional golf balls (featherys) didn't have dimples
    upload_2019-11-11_10-10-3.png
    Back to topic, this has to be one of the dumbest threads I have read for a while...other than the golf ball thing which interested me. I cannot imagine driving a car that didn't look the best it could. I was always embarrassed to drive a beater, never will. As nice as I can afford.

As for golf balls, I don't like them dirty or cart path rashed, no tree sap, no threads left by a sharp square groove 60 degree wedge, no paint from a car in the parking lot. Clean, shiny (not those new matte finish balls), white only, Titleist Pro V 1*. Like my paint jobs, the best I can afford to play.

jimmy six, ClarkH and The37Kid like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.