Register now to get rid of these ads!

What gas cap for a '56 Fairlane but not vented

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 Club - Modified, Mar 7, 2008.

1. 56 Club - Modified

56 Club - Modified

My '56 Fairlane's fuel system was modified from the original open vented to a closed system to support the EFI mod. The gas tank and fuel pump were modified, but the filler tube was not. The cap that is in place is a real sloppy & loose fit. What aftermarket cap (Stant ?) could I use that will both fit the filler tube and be a closed system cap ? (Original is vented).

2. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

I am not positive about this but vented / non-vented isn't about EFI. If I am correct the non-vented systems were done so for emissions reasons, to keep raw fuel from being vented to the air. These tanks have an alternate vent that goes to a charcoal canister, which scavenges the fuel vapors. Your tank should always be vented in some way, to relieve pressure from building up in the tank from heat and to prevent a vacuum from building up as you pump the fuel out.

3. 56 doesn't need a vented cap. The tank has a vent hose on the top port side of the tank.