Register now to get rid of these ads!

What front axle did I buy??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eberhama, Oct 31, 2007.

1. eberhama

eberhama

I picked up this tube axle last week, and I'm wondering what it fits? Its aftermarket, 47" center to center on the tops of the king pins, 41" center to center of the spring?/shock? mount holes. The thing that threw me was the spring perches welded on( to run parallel leaf) They are 33" center to center. It has what appears to be 37-40 roundback spindles w/ a disc brake kit. Would this work on a '36 ford? are those ford spindles? Any help is appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

I think they are 37-39 spindles under all those junky brackets and adaptor sleeves...chuck the rest away..its seventies street rodder junk.

3. eberhama

eberhama

Anyone have any ideas what rotors and caliper this setup would use?

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

It looks like an old Superbell to me. I think you'll find the ends are cast with a slanted weld seam around the tube near those perches.
    The spindles are original Ford 37-41(check the back for 7:cool:, and the rbackets look like thte usual early Chevrolet caliper mounts still sold today.
    "70s streetrodder junk", what is that?

5. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

chuck it to me freight collect.....................:cool:

6. it doesn't look like Superbell to me at all....the ends don't look cast and welded to a center tube...and the center is straight , no slight curve or "smile"

i think it's MAS

7. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

The parallel spring mounts indicate that it could have come from a gasser style setup. You can still use basic traditional early ford drum brakes instead of discs.

8. eberhama

eberhama

I guess that answers most of the questions. Looks like I'll be selling the bare axle in favor of an I-beam. The axle is 1 piece, w/no weld seams. I'd still like to figure out what rotors and calipers to use. I'm not getting very far trying to reverse ID them by the wheel bearing part #s.