Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Fords were these made from?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sideways_403, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Hey guys.

I live on a family farm that's been here since 1924, there's some pretty cool stuff here, mostly wrecked but hey, it's all fun to find!

There's these 2 trailers that have found, I was wandering if you guys could tell me what they were made from?

Sorry for these pretty basic questions, I'm a young guy and I've never known any hot rod guys (or proper old car guys for that matter) so I'm not that good at identifying things yet.

The water cart has a 10 bolt banjo diff so it's from a Model A? Apparently the trailer was made in the 1950's, granddad also confidently assured me the diff was from an Austin. :rolleyes: This trailer still gets used, it's the farms only way of transporting lots of water!

The other trailer is interesting, it seems to be a later model Ford. There is a bar welded on the end of the wish bone to hook it up to a vehicle, quite a clever idea really. I can get more pictures if you need them?

I think there's a complete set of usable wide 5 artillery wheels, is there a way of telling what they were originally off?

Thanks heaps!

Hayden

Attached Files:

2. eberhama

eberhama

The trailer is a '36-'39 car/truck axle, the frame is '36-'39 ford car. Someone will be by to give an exact year based on brakes and wishbone placement, but that should give you an idea.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The tank trailer axle appears to be from a '36 thru '39 Ford because of the 'wide five' wheels/drums. I couldn't tell from the pictures if it has mechanically or hydraulically operated brakes. But, if hydraulic, it would be a '39 as earlier Fords had mechanical brakes. All my comments are based on U S production, which may have differed from Australian products as to timing of these features.

Ray

4. dubcee

dubcee

Measure those wide 5 wheels for diameter ,if they are 18 inch rubber you just tripped oer a gold mine!