Register now to get rid of these ads!

What flathead is this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FunkyHunk, Mar 9, 2011.

1. I have had a Simca Vedette V8-60 and a Ford Vedette V8-60 engines and both had 17 bolt heads (Simca alloy / Ford steel heads) and they didn't look like your engine.
    Nice find anyway and like most of us i have never seen this before.

2. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Our Russian friends were great at reverse engineering stuff, from radios to B-29's

Wouldn't be suprised if they didn't copy Ford stuff.

Then it got rebuilt using genuine Ford stuff.

3. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

The copyed the a-ford four banger

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

This is a first generation 60 HP Ford.
    Sold only in Europe via Ford England.
    Late 1935-36, produced in Hen's teeth numbers before being replaced by the '37 type that we eventually got here.

V8-m likes this.
  5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It is as starnge as it looks...intake and exhust ports positions swapped, as you can guess from the 2 exhaust ports. Used an electric fuel pump.
    It has FOUR mains! Really!
    Every single thing about it is different from 1937 up 60's.
    I actually saw the bare block from one of these in a french junkyard, maybe 1970, and it was disturbing...obviously a Ford, obviously a 60, but everything wrong. I could not account for what I had seen until I found some info many years later.
    If you look up 60 serial numbers, you will note that several thousand numbers are oddly missing from USA listings...that is because the engine went into probuction about a year and a half before we got it in Europe only. The first few of those were like this!

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Now...Matford: Heo's pic is right on...that is a British Ford Model 62, with this 1935-6 engine. Ford England channeled this stuff into the smaller Euro plants, though I would believe these were actually built and cast USA at this time period. The other Matford and Simca mentions are entirely off topic...for a while Matfords were built with conventional familiar later type 60's, then 60 engine production moved to Europe and matford, then 60 picked up 60's that were brifly Ford France, then became matford and sold to Simca...or something like that. Simca then developed the LATE 60 both as a flathead and as an OHV far beyond its 1930's Format.
    And...the Model 62 picked up big series flathead as a WWIi staff car, then became the postwar 221 Pilot!

7. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

-------------------
    Sort of but not quite. The Soviets
    didn't actually 'copy' the Model A or
    its 4-banger engine....at least not by
    'reverse-engineering' it. In the early
    1930's, under a cash deal with the
    Soviets, Henry Ford sent a whole
    team of engineers and technicians
    from Detroit over to the Soviet Union,
    where they built and set up the plant
    for them, ready to run on a 'turn key'
    basis. Included in the deal were all
    the blueprints, patterns, tooling and
    machinery for manufacturing complete
    Model A's.

Mart3406
    ===================

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

During WWII, the Russians got the Ford tire plant and the dies for the senior series Packard the same way, though paid for by lend lease most likely. Everything crated here and shipped off to Murmansk, factory in a box.