Register now to get rid of these ads!

What fan 36 Ford stock radiator w/8ba?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gkgeiger, Aug 3, 2009.

1. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

I have an alternator mounted fan blade for my 49-53 flathead but it won't work. The blade is about 3/4"-1" too far forward. My question, does anyone have the same combo with a mechanical fan. I hate electric fans and will only use if it's the last resort.

[​IMG]

2. GOONZ

GOONZ

What fan do you have on your car now? Try finding a fan from 35 Ford and see if it is shorter.

3. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

I don't know what fan I have, but I do know that no fan will work on my Alt. pulley without hitting the rad. core. My blade is 15 1/2" diam. 1 7/8" deep with 1 3/4" of that from the mounting surface out.

4. zgears

zgears

I just fished working on my fan its a 34(? I beleve) cut the blades down about a 1/3. pulls a lot of air though.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014

5. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

Your rad is completely different than mine. Mine slants back toward the firewall, and the top tank extends toward the engine. Must be a 35-36 to compare, but thanks.

[​IMG]

6. zgears

zgears

can you change the pulley, water pumps(40 ford),and road draft tube to bring the belt to the stock position closer to the motor?.

7. GOONZ

GOONZ

The 35 fan is 1 1/2" from the mounting surface out and I cut the blades down to 14" end to end to fit under the tank. I, of course don't have the slanting radiator to worry about. Good luck.

8. bonesy

bonesy

I have an 8BA in my '36 (I've copied your build in a lot of aspects.) I have the narrow belts - the fan sits lower on the engine. Let me know, I can pull a part number if you need, the assembly should work but you may have to change the pulley.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. bonesy

bonesy

Sorry for the crappy pictures - I just threw the grill on in the dark garage to try to give you an idea how far forward it sits. You can see from the picture there is room to chop the fan ext back if needed.

10. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

Bonesy,
    Thanks for all the effort. That looks like something I might be able to make work. My big concern is, have you installed the radiator with this setup? It looks like you might have clearance problems. Thanks again, waiting to hear from you.

11. zgears

zgears

your cars designed for a flathead so why isn't it working?.....

If your using the stock mounts, the problem may be the 8ba waterpumps mounts make the engine sit to high and the pulley necks are to far forward

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  12. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

High isn't the problem but too far forward is. Everything is based on the crankshaft pulley and must align with it. I am using stock motor mounts with the F series pickup pumps. All flatheads aren't created equal. A friend of mine just put an 8BA in a 34 and had the same problem. He ended up using an electric fan, which I'm afraid I will have to also. Thanks,

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The problem is the 8BA; '35-6 Fords are I think the very tightest early Ford compartment. The 8BA setup moves the close pulley sheaves way out to clear the sideways distributor, so the gen pulley goes along. Swapping to early front parts is the best solution but can't be done without changing the cam out...so too late here. I suspect best way will be some modification of the lower fan, the stock '42-53 type shown above.
    I don't have dimensions on all the variants of gen mount fans...there are plenty...but the shortest I have could not be made shorter without the trailing edges of the blades hitting the fanbelt!

Some dimensions:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35029&highlight=flathead+dimensions&showall=1

14. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

Bruce,
    You've just confirmed everything I thought. The trailing edge of my blade only misses the belt by about a 1/4". Thanks again.

15. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

There's a '36 roadster on ebay right now with an 8ba and a mechanical fan, might be the information you're looking for. There's a good engine shot in the discription showing a generator mounted fan.