Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Seems Charlie and that convertible were an influence to Mark Morton.

"There were plenty of memorable cars for Morty to dream about, but what he wanted more than anything was a chopped ’49 or ’50 Mercury. He chased the trail of a few very nice ones, but along the way he had a visit with Charlie Edwards in Lexington, Kentucky, and took a ride in his ’54 Merc convertible. Morty had a whole new goal after a long chat about design, a look through some old magazines, and hands-on looks at a few ’54 Mercurys. He made a couple phone calls from Charlie’s, and his own ’54 Mercury was on the way by the time he got home."

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0808rc-1954-mercury-monterey/

54_Merc.jpg

2. I merged Ed's scans together so we could get a better view of Charlie's kool Chevy.
    HotLicks.jpg

I may be mistaken, but wasn't also in one of the Custom Painting magazines put out by Hot Rod?

3. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Now that Merc convertible is drop dead beautiful! I love EVERYTHING about it!
    Plus, no headliner!

4. You're probably right, Sancho. Hot Rod used a lot of the same articles in various "specialty" quarterly magazines they used to put out.
    I'll dig out the painting series mags I have and see what articles are the same. E

5. I found in some threads from '09 that @da34guy is a buddy of Charlie's.

How about it '34 guy do you happen to know where Charlie's '57 ended up?

6. I looked through the four Custom Painting magazines I have and there was nothing on Charlie's '57. It seems to me there was something on it in a quarterly special magazine somewhere besides the Custom Cars by Hot Rod
    I'd be willing to bet that it was featured in Hot Rod sometime between 1982 and 1984. Unfortunately, most of the Hot Rod magazines I had from the 80s were destroyed in my basement flood a few years ago so I have no way to trace back. E

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  7. I dig the interior. Reminds me of the, by then, nearly dead custom van craze. I think I've said this before, but my dad got all the custom van mags and that was one of my first real exposures to customizing.

8. Not sure , but I do know he told me he sold to a buddy of his in Kentucky

9. Thanks for the response!
    Hopefully this one is still around....

10. Hey Sancho, Charlie was is Salina this last KKOA show, spent the day cruzin with him in his vert. He had a guy ask him where he got it and his statement was classic ole Charlie. He told him " I started with a donor that was cherry from the door handles up, it was daylight from there down."

11. Well damn.
    Seems like I learn of something/someone I missed after every KKOA Spectacular. :(

12. vintagemc313

vintagemc313

I was just talking about the Artic Gold that was mentioned early in this post. It's actually owned by my gradeschool buddy. Tom Philpot was his uncle and was a super nice guy. He passed a few years back. I ended up buying the house in Detroit where it was built. I remember in my teens he had plans on doing a 50 Merc too, but he eventually gave that plan up and the car was gone from the backyard. The Artic Gold was repainted 3 times, once by Tom...once by his son, and again by my buddy. It's been kept in it's original configuration.

13. Great information @vintagemc313. Nice to know that "Arctic Gold" is still around and in the family. Also, neat to know that you have the house where a little custom history happened. E

14. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

15. rudestude

rudestude

[​IMG]
    Page 49 Hot Rod Custom Painting "Chariots of Fire" A Flames Pictorial.....[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. rudestude

rudestude

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Hot Rod Magazine's "Rod&Custom" 1979
    Coverage of the San Jose Autorama , Jan. 12-14 1979

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Schreibs

Schreibs

A HUGE thanks for this thread...growing up in the 80's I pored over the Custom Car magazines and these cars here were my inspiration...especially the Heart and Soul 56 Merc...my favorite! Thanks again for all your hard work and everyones research and contributions...it's appreciated!

18. @rudestude THANKS for the scan from the Custom Painting issue! I do not have any of those in my collection but I was pretty sure I remembered the "Ghetto Cruiser" being in a flame article in one of those issues.
    Must be one that @OG lil E doesn't have.....

19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

That same pic that @rudessute posted was in the issue that Ed posted. The pic was cropped a bit so the car picture might show more detail. At least the trees aren`t in the background. Scan0480.jpg And here is a close up of the pic on the cover. Hadn`t had time to look in my Painting issues. My covers are also worn and tattered as well. I will also check my Salina pic`s for his White Merc. Remind me later to post the covers of those issues of that series so people can add them to there collection. Scan0479.jpg

20. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Earlier, someone asked if this '57 Chevy was on a Hot Rod Custom Painting issue. I though so until I had a good look and it is a similar, but definitely different car.
    Custom Painting by Hot Rod-Vol 1 No 3-1.jpg

21. Like Ed said, they did "reuse" a lot of photos.

Jim, I had the same thought. Already went through my Salina pics but no luck.

22. @Rot 'n Kustom It's in the one that RudeStude posted above. It is included in an article on flames.

drdave, 54delray and OG lil E like this.
  23. Thanks for posting the pic of Charlie's '57 and the Custom Painting issue that it came out of @rudestude. Like @Sancho said, that's an issue I don't have.
    I know that Hot Rod put out quite a few of the Custom Painting issues as well as the Custom Cars issues, but I have never seen a list that shows exactly how many of each were produced. Anyone have any idea how many, or has someone compiled a list? I would think it would be almost impossible to put a list like that together. E

24. No idea on paint issues.
    To my knowledge there were only three (maybe 4) of the Custom Cars issues.

drdave and OG lil E like this.
  25. Hey guys, I was just looking back at the pictures of the yellow '40 that @Austinrod and @rudestude posted. Maybe I'm late to the party and someone already mentioned it. But is this the '40 from "Hollywood Knights" that the club members built and uncovered for Jimmy Shine to see before he left for Vietnam?
    Rudestude mentioned the pictures he posted were from '79, and "Hollywood Knights" was made in '80, so the time frame would be about right.
    So, is this the same car? Where is it today? E

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  26. Looks like it to me, the striping matches.
    i053503.jpg

27. Man Sancho, you never cease to amaze me! The thread you found is really something. Lots of great reading and information.
    I figured it was the same '40. Too many similarities--couldn't be two out there that were so much the same. Thanks for answering my question! E

28. rudestude

rudestude

29. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Pic by me, age 11

Attached Files:

John B, drdave, 54delray and 8 others like this.