Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. What Ever Happened To..........? number 179.

1957 Chevy "Lost in the 50s"
    Owner: Courtney Church
    Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin

Hi everyone! Well, here we are again. I managed to get my photos and files in order for the most part, but we are pretty much starting up where we left off. A lot of neat customs that don't seem to have much information on them. Seems like it's been going this way for a while here on the "What Ever Happened To..........?" thread, but at least we're still chugging along!
    This week's custom is a very cool '57 Chevy two door sedan that has many characteristics of a car that was built in the early 60s. It very well could be a survivor custom from the good ol' days. The one thing that makes me think so is the use of the Chrysler boomerang tail lights. The black paint and white pin striping also give the car the old time vibe.
    Funny thing about this car is that it seemed to only be around the car show scene for one year, 1988. I first saw the car on the Sterling/Rock Falls 7th Annual Custom and Lowrider Show video filmed July 22-24, 1988. I purchased my copy off of Ebay years ago. It was transferred from a VHS tape to a DVD. I've mentioned before what a good video this is as there were a lot of customs sprinkled in amongst the lowriders at that show. I never was able to find the owner's name on this car. The one time I thought I might catch it was when they were having the muffler rap contest at the show. Each "contestant" was announced by the deejay before each car and driver did their thing. When this '57 rolled up onto the cement pad to "rack 'em off", the deejay said he had no name on the show card. When the deejay asked for a name, the video skipped for a second, and if the name was mentioned, it wasn't heard on the tape. The '57 had a nice set of pipes and sounded great! When the car was done and backed off the pad, you could see the owner was wearing a purple Klassic Kruisers Car Club T-shirt. I know this club was one of the big active clubs back in the 80s and if I'm not mistaken was based out of Wisconsin. On the video, the license plates on this '57 looked like they were the light blue plates that Wisconsin had on their plates way back when, but it was a little too grainy to say for sure so I didn't want to venture a guess. That's why the location as well as the owner's name were left blank at the top of this week's post.
    All my pictures that I'm posting this week are still frames from the Sterling/Rock Falls Show. I'll explain why in a few minutes.

57 Chevy Lost in the 50s a SRFLRS 88.JPG

57 Chevy Lost in the 50s b SRFLRS 88.JPG

57 Chevy Lost in the 50s c SRFLRS 88.JPG

57 Chevy Lost in the 50s d SRFLRS 88.JPG

57 Chevy Lost in the 50s e SRFLRS 88.JPG

This cool '57 also made the trek to the KKOA Leadsled Spectacular in 1988 in Holland, Michigan. I had no video of this show until recently when @PasoJohn kindly sent me a copy of the video he shot that year. I had noted in my steno note pad that I saw the car on that video. Well, pictures from that video were not to be. A few days ago I pulled out my copy of Paso John's 1988 Leadsled Spectacular video to find the footage of the '57 and take some stills for this week's post. To make a long story short, my tired old VCR died on me, trying to eat my 1988 Paso John Leadsled Spectacular video in the process! Luckily I managed to get the tape out without the VCR destroying it or the tape breaking. I have a new VCR that I'll be installing later this week. I don't know how much damage was done to the tape, but I guess I'll find out once I get the new VCR set up and put that tape in. Keep your fingers crossed. Trying to keep my precious VHS car show video tapes alive has been a real worry for me ever since the world pretty much axed the VHS format a few years back. If all goes well, the VCR tape watching and picture taking will be back on track very soon.
    This is all I have on this '57 Chevy. I hope that someone out there remembers the car or better yet, knew the owner and has more history on it. This car is way too cool to fade into the past without giving credit where credit is due.
    I hope everyone out there has been well the last few weeks. Hard to believe we are in August already. The nights are quickly cooling off and the leaves are already starting to change here in Denver. Looks like summer is rapidly coming to an end and the cold will be here all too soon. You guys have a great week! Talk to you soon! E

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 8:27 AM
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I don't remember this car, but welcome back Ed!!!!

Sancho, OG lil E, stanlow69 and 2 others like this.
  3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    from red oak

Perfect tim 2019-08-14_031518.jpg ing Ed, I`ve been gone a week also. And it was good seeing you in Salina. Here is a pic my dad took in 88 in Holland 2019-08-14_031644.jpg Michigan as well. You can tell by the very dry grass.

chryslerfan55, drdave, John B and 5 others like this.
  4. Thanks Mark! E

It was good to see you too, Jim! The weekend flew by!
    Thanks for posting the great picture of the '57. In your picture you can clearly see the car did indeed have Wisconsin plates. Another clue about this one. I'll update the header on the post.
    If you look closely at Jim's pic, you can see the wild little "Elvis" trailer that Phil Iturbide used to pull behind his "My Way Elvis" '53 Ford convertible (W.E.H.T. # 168).

57 Chevy Lost in the 50s g JSC.jpg

Phil was also from Wisconsin, so Phil and the owner of the '57 must have been friends. Maybe they were both members of the Klassic Kruisers. E

chryslerfan55, drdave, John B and 7 others like this.
  5. YES! @OG lil E It's back!!!!!

Looked for this one for quite a while..... no luck, yet.

6. This '57 has been a tough one. I hope something turns up. Keep on searchin'! E

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    from red oak

8. Welcome back Ed!!

Funny, being a Wisconsin boy, I don’t recall having ever seen this car before. I sure don’t have pictures of it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. a990hemi

a990hemi
    from Wisconsin

"Lost In The 50s" '57 Chevy kustom was built and owned by Courtney Church of Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin. Courtney was an active member of the Klassic Kruisers C.C. and another very colorful character.

stanlow69, Sancho, 54delray and 3 others like this.
  10. Thanks for the reply @a990hemi! Great information! Nice to finally be able to put a name and location on this nice '57. E

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 8:43 AM
    loudbang, Sancho and 54delray like this.
  11. drdave, loudbang, Sancho and 4 others like this.
  12. a990hemi

a990hemi
    from Wisconsin

Courtney's '57 Chevy was built in the mid 80s with all body mods handled by Al Abel. Al used to go into Stan Deppe's Auto Salvage with a torch to cut off Chrysler and Packard rear 1/4 n tail light sections to graft onto his kustom builds ...usually for less than $ 100 per pair!. That yard was completely crushed out and returned to farmland about 8 years ago and each and every Buick was missing its headlight surrounds and every Packard was missing its rear 1/4 sections then. Courtney sold the Chevy in the early 90s to fund a radical '54 Oldsmobile full kustom with heavily chopped hardtop, Packard tail lights and lavender pearl paint. His ol buddy Phil Iterbide stitched up period perfect lavender n white tuck n roll for the Olds.

drdave, loudbang, Sancho and 5 others like this.
  13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    from red oak

@a990hemi ---- is this it. EEERRRRR Darn scanner. Here we go. 2019-08-17_014123.jpg

drdave, OG lil E, 54delray and 3 others like this.