Register now to get rid of these ads!

What else can I por-15?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevyguy469, Dec 12, 2008.

1. chevyguy469

chevyguy469
    from PA

So I already know tht I'm going to put por15 on the frame, what else have you guys put it on? and were there any problems?? i.e springs, trailing arms.. etc

2. Gorehound

Gorehound
    from Delaware

I have used it on frames,a-arms,coils/floors and trunks.
    It will not stick to smooth metal. It will peel off. It needs a
    somewhat rough surface or scratch to hold onto.
    It has no U-v protection so it will chalk-up in the sun.

3. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

I use another product as mentioned in your other thread, but...

I use it on undercarriage parts (though cleaning them is a lot of trouble), fender mounting brackets, motor brackets, radiator support and core support parts (if the engine bay is going to be black), etc. I even used it on old rusty wheels that were going to be covered with hubcaps.

Here's a picture of the 55 wagon i'm working on now with Bill Hirsch Miracle paint (same as POR-15).

[​IMG]

The core support is on it now and has been done in the same paint. When I can roll it out, I will clean the undercarriage and do it all, including rear end and drums.

4. chevyguy469

chevyguy469
    from PA

will constant exposure to the sun eventually peel it? or does it just get ugly after it chalks up?

5. Keep

Keep

It just turns an ugly chalky dark gray color. I used it on some rust spots on the top of my truck and did not paint over it. So it got constant sun.

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

can you paint over it? Any special type of paint if you do? Will that stop the "chalking up, and greying" you speak of?
    Was wondering if after using it on the frame, if i could spray over it with a rustoleum, or something?

7. Keep

Keep

It is supposed to painted over on anything that sees the sun. They sell a chassis black paint that is used as a top cost. Its is fairly good. I used it on my 4x4 frame and so far has stood up to the weather.

As far as I know you can use any type of paint over it.

8. brenthughes

brenthughes
    from Florida

chevyguy,

yes, you can paint over it
    many paints can be used,
    topcoating will prevent the discoloration.

When I use POR15, I make a full day of it. Have everything cleaned and etched (metal ready or similiar) the night before. First coat goes on first thing in the morning, last coat goes on just before shutting down for the day. Not allowing the paint to cure eliminates the need to sand between coats. I usually get 2-3 coats of POR15 and 1-2 coats of topcoat (chassiscoat black, etc.)

Checkout their website, the directions are good and work well when you follow them exactly.
    http://www.por15.com/faq.asp

Good luck,

Brent Hughes

9. Westside Lefty

Westside Lefty
    from Venice

Do you have to wash off the white residue left by the metal ready? I did my frame rails yesterday.

10. brenthughes

brenthughes
    from Florida

You should rinse off the metal ready after it has had time to work, but in my experience there is always a little phosphorous present. If I remember correctly, the instructions claim a little of this is normal and not detrimental.

11. chevyguy469

chevyguy469
    from PA

yea i do believe you can paint over it no problem, but i do know that por15 does hae a paint prep and paints for it specifically! ..and isnt tht a problem to not let it cure before adding another coat?? sounds like a bad idea ...j/w

12. POR15 is to real paint as AOL is to real software

13. brenthughes

brenthughes
    from Florida

It seems like a bad idea, but it's what they recommend. I haven't had any problems since I did it this way. I have had it chip off of smooth metal- now I sandblast everything.

14. Archie

Archie

15. impalabuilder

impalabuilder
    from NJ

Yes it will eventually be eaten all the way to complete failure...I personally only use it when painting over rust. Otherwise I use real paint like Tman says.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

What cant you??
    Short list of other stuff you may not have thought of POR 15ing

Kitchen appliances
    complete cars
    Aircraft
    Family Pets
    In short everything

17. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

I painted a crecent wrench with it and banging the wrench and purposely smashing it with hammers and crap hasnt really messed up the paint. The stuff sticks like crazy even after years of use.

18. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Holy shit, lol. :D :D

19. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Nice!:D Couldn't have said it better... ;)

20. Abomination

Abomination

21. stagernwings

stagernwings
    from tx

I wouldnt put that crap on anything. after 20 years in auto restoration I have had the hind sight of my early work and its a great snake oil product . most paint supplys have a chassis black that needs no reducing just spray .also its cheap .c

22. timmy t

timmy t

Used it on the inside of my 40 drums then had them turned. looks good and keeps the rust away.

23. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

ive used it on everything right down to the body of a 4x4 pickup once... as long as its metal of course..

24. ehdubya

ehdubya

My thoughts exactly, I put clear stuff on some fresh tube and watched the rust grow under it over several years.

25. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I used it on the floor pans, lower part of inside doors,quarter panels inner fender wells etc.