Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What does it take to marry a 1934 trans to a Model A Banger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tri-Power, Feb 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

My club is trying to put together a Model A rail job for TROG. We have a built 4 cylinder banger and a 1934 top loader. Our resident mechanical "jenius" can't figure out how to put this puzzle together. Is there an adapter that's out there, or is there a better/cheaper/easier way?

2. Clings makes the adapter

3. find a 40/41 4 cylinder truck bell housing.....?

4. Scott F.

Scott F.

Is it a 1934 V8 or Model B trans?

5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Crucial point. By the way I think the club should replace your jenius with a genius, it may help. LOL

6. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

I believe the 40-41 4 cylinder engine is from the 9n tractor. Completely different engine and nothing interchanges, including transmissions.
    Farmalldan

7. mountainman2

mountainman2

"What does it take to marry a 1934 trans to a Model A Banger"
    The State of California and a justice of the peace with absolutely no prejudices.

TomDickHarry, Hnstray and Dave Mc like this.
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Beat me to a similar reply.....excellent! :D

Ray

9. Scott F.

Scott F.

Use the model B(32-34) top flywheel cover. It only goes halfway around though. The bittom mount was the rear part of the oil pan. Put a wanted ad up for the rear part of a 32-34 4 cyl oil pan and upper flywheel cover both here and on Ford barn. The parts are out there. Then if you dont split wishbone you need a bracket to mount the wishbone to the trans. Also the pedals used to mount to the A bell housing. Not anymore. You need a bracket that attaches to the shifter top bolts and the bellhousing bolts and has a pedal mount. I believe you also need a different clutch release lever/crossshaft. Check with The Model A Store in Colorado. They might have the brackets.
    Scott

10. Scott F.

Scott F.

Oops, my advice above is for a B trans. If its a v8 trans you need a different adapter from engine to trans.

11. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

That would be a no-go in rural Tennessee. Cali is too far to travel with this bitch!!

mountainman2 likes this.