Register now to get rid of these ads!

What does everyone do for a living???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemizach, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dadseh

dadseh

In my 36th year with GM... (Holden Australia)
    Been working with Holden in Quality all that time... Supplier Quality Assurance.
    Luv my job and every day is a good day!!
    Hoping GM survives.. This will be my last year, Im looking forward to gardening, feeding the birds in my garden and HOTRODS!!
    I have many projects I need to finish.. lets hope we all get there together!!!

DADSEH

2. Peter Mc Mahon

Peter Mc Mahon
    from Ontario

Assembly inspection [Quality Control] at a Toyota plant, I stare at cars in the most annoyingly bright flourescent light tunnel that you can imagine. My eyes hurt. Peter

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

4. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Eccentric millionaire playboy

5. KeithDyer

KeithDyer

Real job is Welding Inspector for the Oil, Chemical, and Power Industries, lots of Engineering input and such.

Got a Southern Gospel radio show I do on 94.9 The Outlaw on Sunday nights, done that for better than 20 years.

Got a machine and fab shop that I don't get into near enough, will start another thread about my near miss there!!

6. oh man that's cool - hey don't forget to swing wide - :0

that's a big boat man.

7. Bert

Bert

Mechanic/welder fabricator/toolsales...last 22years, decided to step from the workshop to the office.............Now,Technical Customer Service Officer..for a major welder manufacturer. More money, less hours..just as someone stated..more of my time to play with the toys.........I do miss the workshop though............I dont miss pickin black snot after work every day though.....lol...........Bert

8. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

I run a hot stamp press that makes those oil change stickers that the mechanic puts in your window. Giz'

9. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

As 33 mopower said, get an education, find a job you "like", and spend your money working on your stuff. Don't depend on your income by doing your passion or it soon becomes something else. A lot of guys I know thought they wanted to earn a living working their hobby and now they have different hobbies and hate their jobs.

Get a job that you enjoy doing. Stay away from debt. Save and spend you hard earned money on your passions.

10. storm king

storm king

I build carbon fiber stuff for aerospace, automotive, and alternative energy, anything that pays, really. www.sokomp.com

Thunderplex, Gulfstream's a fine aircraft; why would you want to compare them to a Rolls Royce or Ferrari? I've worked on Rolls junk, including jet engines. I wouldn't own a Ferrari unless it came with a factory mechanic as an indentured servant for as long as I owned the car.:D

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  11. .
    <-----------That.

12. Hey that job does not sound lame to me. You can get a lot of good experience detailing cars.............I used to mix cement by hand when in high school, decided to go to college. I've worked at a lot of jobs over the years, I'm an old fart, from construction labor to mechanic, project engineer and service manager at an auto conversion shop. Now I do home remodeling and repair to help pay the bills, but my true passion is in the ministry. I operate a faith based missionary outreach and take groups down to Juarez, Mexico where we build houses for at risk families. you can check out: www.pottersclaymin.net
    I think the H.A.M.B. guys and gals are going to be all over the map on this one.

13. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

I'm currently a tattoo artist in Austin, TX. That means I'm broke. There are 130 shops in town and 55 artists and about a dozen shops just on the street where I work. I also do free-lance illustration for shirts, CD covers, pinstriping, lettering and anything else remotely artistic. Since the term "starving artist" is very appropriate, I've decided to go to barber school. I'll be doing that soon. I'm also trying to get on as a DJ in a strip club part time. I'm thinking about selling a kidney on ebay.

14. ryno

ryno

road producer for automotive marketing tours.

15. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I work for McFarlane toys. I sculpt all kinds of monsters and athletes and such. I'm never growing up... PERIOD

16. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I am a retired HS auto mechanics teacher, or in other words a dinasour, as the powers in education around here have decided no one needs to learn to work with their hands any longer. So we have no "shop classes" in high schools any longer. I retired two years ago after teaching for 37 years. I build traditional rods to sell as well as attend auctions as often as I can. I can tell you that the worst day of retirement is way better than the best day I ever had at work.

17. HYPORX

HYPORX
    from Holland!?

As with a few others here, I'm in quality control.

Created my own position by having the balls to stand up and tell the boss that we were making fools of ourselves selling such a poorly finished product.

12 months on and sittin' pretty. ;)

18. Buckle

Buckle

I'm a Product Designer for General Dynamics, Defense Equipment.

Buckle

19. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Also an engineer with GM. Going into my 12th year starting next Monday. Its been quite a ride. I also hope we make it. I'd like to build a couple more hot rods before I die!

I love my job, design release engineer on Corvette suspensions.

Mike

20. bigdaddygary

bigdaddygary
    from corinth ms

I've done upholstery work started in high school and have been at it 29 years. Started out sweeping the floors. Have owned my own shop for 24 years. .

21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

im a snitch for the FBI / CIA / HOME LAND SEC / FCC , & im watchin you ! .. steve

22. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson
    Alliance Vendor

I work for Wolfgang Publications as the National sales manger, We publish How-to books in the custom motorcycle and Hot Rod industry.

23. gonzo87107

gonzo87107

I've been in sales for the last 10+ years. I started doing it while I 'finished' college, and now it's a full time job! I would much rather be working as a welder or machinist for a fab shop here in town, but I don't have the time to go back to school. I have also done work directly related to an old hobby of mine, and it ruined the hobby for me!

My advice, stay in school so you can do whatever you REALLY want to! But school alone won't do it, you also need to get as much practical experiance in your intended field as possible.

24. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

I own a 2 man industrial machine shop. I visualize, design and create all kinds of custom fixtures, tooling and machinery. During the season I tune on a Top Fuel Harley in the AHDRA. I'm going to catch up on a lot of lost sleep when I die.

25. FrankBoss

FrankBoss

I own a Screen Printing, Embroidery and Vinyl Shop ....

What the hell was I thinkin.

FrankBoss

26. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

I am a diesel mechanic also work on hydraulics, electronic trouble shooting, air brake systems, re-build large volume vac pumps, perform tank inspections, fabrication and welding etc etc etc. I am continuously going back to school for training updates [ company will pay this for you ]

Talk to the guys at local cat dealer they may have aprenticeship program. Or check out trade school option in your area. Some truck repair facilities are so hard up they will hire you in, train in house.

Good luck

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Well I did make aircraft parts, not sure if we are going to reopen or not, now i'm trying to figure out how to pay the bills. :mad:

28. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

sounds like you already have you're mind made up as what you want to do, now stick with it. you have to start some where, and being a body shop owner, that's where most guys get their foot in the door. now start paying attention and watch and learn, ask questions, stay late and have somebody start teaching you the basics, like wet sanding and other parts prep, masking, move up to small dent repair, learn how to work metal. it takes time so be patient, in this business you either have or you don't, and i'm sure you're boss will let you know either way. it's refreshing to know that there are still young guys out there who want to work with their hands, not a trait you get with the " new generation" of spoiled shitheads who get everything handed to them and don't know the difference between a phillips or a straight head screwdriver! good luck.

29. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Work? That's a scary thought. Wrenching on my Hot Rod, retired.

30. I started as a dealership car detailer also and started hanging out with the parts guys "volunteering" whenever I could and ended up being a parts man, pay is okay and learning curve is up to you! I worked in a local steet rod parts shop (PARR AUTOMOTIVE, OKC) for a while also, that was really fun time!! Traditonal stores are easy to get on with and can be gateways to other related jobs. The thing about our gig is not working on cars all day and we learn thru our transactions with the customers and mechanics. Also the price break and retail buisness expierence go along way in this world. Good luck with your career decisions and remember to take advantage of all the bright people you will be exposed to in this world; shy from the troubled and learn from the leaders in your world. Honest hard working self motivated young people are noticed and offered the bigger steps first. If you ever work for someone who does'nt want you to get ahead, run as fast as you can from that crowd! Good Luck Again............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.