Register now to get rid of these ads!

What does everyone do for a living???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemizach, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hemizach

Hemizach

I was sitting around, and looking at all of the cars in some of the threads here on H.A.M.B. and I was thinking to myself, I wonder what all these guys do for a living, and how many people do things with cars and such. As a kid that wants to learn paint, bodywork, and welding in general to get my foot in the door for an automotive career. I wanna know what some of you do for a living involving your passion :). So come on and share!

And me, I have a lame job (as a kid in highschool). I detail cars at a bodyshop here in erie :(

2. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I work on cars. All day. Mechanic by day, Mechanic by night. It's almost 2am, just got done working on one of mine, gotta wake up at 7am and work on other peoples shit, then go home and work on mine again. Story of my life.

3. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

4. Hambone64

Hambone64

Im an active duty US Marine. OOHRAH. In no way whatsoever does this job facilitate me ANY time to work on my car, but I'll be out soon. Anybody want an apprentice??!!

5. fiveofeen

fiveofeen

Owned my own window tinting business while in college, just graduated and moved west to become a manufacturer's rep for Solargard window films. Dual major in Business management and Automotive aftermarket management. Worked in the automotive industry at repair shops, tire dealers, accessory shops before then.

6. silent rick

silent rick

7. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

I hold a "will work for food" sign on the freeway off ramp. I got the cardboard from my brother (Stinky the Bum) and he got it from some hotrodder taking it to get glass cut from his cardboard in Austin Texas. The crazy ass hotrodder told everyone he chased Stinky down and called him "fucker", but that was a delusional LIE. We have the cardboard and he knows the TRUTH!!!!!!

8. thunderplex

thunderplex

I'm a technical writer at Gulfstream Aerospace. Gulfstream makes the best and most reliable business jets in the industry, ...the G550 is currently the Rolls Royce and the Ferrari of the bizjet world. I have little to do with production, ...I just document the design.

Just wait until the G650rolls out in 2010.

9. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I'm a machinist, I do both manual and CNC work and couldn't be happier. Well, I suppose if I worked with Pamela Anderson rather than the asshole I currently work with I would be a bit happier...

10. outlaw256

outlaw256

i build old school hotrods and custom bikes wiyh my son. we have two shops that are across the driveway from each other. big new one is the hotrod shop and the other one is the bike shop. da.since the economy went to shit so did my buisness.but now ive lots of time to work on my projects. but no money,been trying to sell a couple bikes for months and no luck. anyone want a ol skool chopper how about 03 sporster with 4600 miles? i dont sell one soon, ill finally loose some weight because ill not be able to buy food. lol

11. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I own a shop we fabricate custom furniture art work.I also produce a line of art pieces that I sell in different shops .This is a 12' chandelier I finished and delivered last month.I work on cars in my free time .My 2 cents

Attached Files:

• tree.jpg
      tree.jpg
      File size:
      110.4 KB
      Views:
  12. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I have a Ph.D. in Engineering Math Sciences from one of the finest universities in the country, and an I.Q. of 147...... I'm currently un-employed.
    The sad part is that it's true :(

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  13. i wake up every day wishing i was EVEL.

14. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I stuff envelops at home in my spare time and rake in $4K/week, $10K if I feel like working hard, $15K when I get my 10 year old niece to help out.

15. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Auto mechanic,have been one for 38 years.

16. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

your getting busy young fella........................

17. Docco

Docco
    from Ippy

Professional ten pin bowler and amateur tattooist.

18. JimSibley

JimSibley

I polish turds until i find a piece of corn or a peanut, then I polish it until it turns into a hotrod. its kinda like magic, only not nearly as cool.

19. Bones M. Rotten

Bones M. Rotten

I work in construction driving a dump truck. Have not worked in the month of dec. Might pick up after the holidays.

20. 33mopower

33mopower

There is nothing glamorous about working on hot rods. You end up spending lots of time working on other peoples visions while completely ignoring your own. Oh did I mention you have to struggle the whole way and only the most focused and determined make it. Talent can only take you so far. But if you find a way to do what you love then sir you have reached the American dream.The American dream is not having the money to do what you want but rather being able to do what you want with your time. I can't in good conscience suggest you pursue this as a career but I can't suggest you get a job or career that you will hate either. It all comes down to what will make you happy. My suggestion find a job that will give you all the time and money to do what you want with your own cars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. kustomrods

kustomrods
    from Tampa Fl.

Well it sounds like you got your foot in the door...The lame job detailing cars at a body shop is where most body men and painters start. Pay attention and listen to guys in your shop. The best training you can get is right there, don't be afraid to ask questions.

22. Construction Equipment Systems Maintenance Manager for the Army (25 years). Formerly a Ford Parts Manager (5 yrs), formerly AirForce (8 yrs). Wanted to be a mechanic since high school, reality got in the way and now I write service & maintenance manuals, it's been a good career. Keeps me in touch with mechanics and current technology but without getting my hands dirty :D. I read some of what others do, tough luck being out of work anytime but especially as we get older. My "want to do" since high school was join the Air Force or Marines and if lucky get into one of their mechanic career fields, I figured might as well get paid to learn, eh? I chose Air Force but they "chose" me to be a clerk. It worked out tho', I ended up a Supply Sergeant in the Motor Pool for most of my time in uniform. Lead to civilian Parts Manager for a few years and then to what I do today. 2 of my kids and one son in-law are military vets too, it helped both get good steady work on the outside. And now my son and son in-law are have great careers and are part-time mechanics because they want to be, with projects (1 is HAMB friendly) they can afford to work on. So from my perspective, ya see while being a mechanic is a GREAT career, being in a related field can also have its benefits and advantages. Choose something you like and go with it, and remember what somebody told me a long time ago - work to live. If you live to work, make sure you enjoy it.

23. i am in the auto repair buisness,,,have bee my whole life

24. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

I work in an underground mine right up the street from the old Dover drag strip...nice part about my line of work is you always know what the weather will be....cold dark and dusty!

25. If I read this young fellows question,He is not asking for wise ass comments or advice.
    just wanting to know what us HAMBers do for a livelyhood.....
    I am a retired Manuf rep from the Speed Equip Industry..Still work on my and others Hot Rods to keep me busy when I'm not on the HAMB........

26. DHD

DHD
    from Ottawa, ON

I retired at a very young age after helping out a very nice fellow from Nigeria with a cash transfer to free up some funds trapped by a previous regime, netted myself a cool 4 million. Nice people those Nigerians :)

27. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

I eat sleep and breathe car fabrication. Not as much sleep and eat- but its still there.

28. [​IMG]
    riverboat captain..

29. Mechanic Class A Ontario with interprovincial Canada rating
    Have been certfied ASE Master Tech
    Have been certified ASE Master Machinist
    Ran a cattle feedlot for years.
    Trucked cattle (a real fun job!)
    Taught Automotive Trade School for 7 years as a part time contractor
    Service manager 5.5 years CTC
    Ran my own shops twice. 1970s Power Tune Up, 1990 Dons Auto Service and Dolmetsch Engine Development (machine shop side)
    Currently retired .
    Tis true this advice given. Dont make your hobby your occupation because then it isnt a hobby anymore. Now as I have the time I am finding it fun again. Not that iswas a bad occupation or anything just that I think it would have been more fun as a past time. But on the other hand the training and experience has also saved me thousands so maybe that is just wishful thinking. It has been a good life anyway i think about it. I guess I had better be just grateful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.