Register now to get rid of these ads!

What does coupe body weigh?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudsy-wudsy, Oct 21, 2011.

1. hudsy-wudsy

hudsy-wudsy
    from MN

I'm trying to estimate how many friends will be need to lift a '36 Dodge coupe body off its frame. It will still have the doors on. Do you guys think that four is enough?

2. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Only way to know is to grab it and growl. If it don't move, go buy more beer and call up larger friends.

3. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

my 30 model a coupe body kicked our butts with 4 of us! take out the glass if you can, door deck lid seats. they made them out of pretty thick metal back then. if you can, get all the bolts out, get your guys and try it. pick it up, hold it, set it down. ask everybody how'd it feel. can you lift it and walk? we were maxed out. i went out and bought harbor frights gantry crane and a chain hoist. now its a one man job. take the body off with doors, windshild, trunk lid, steering column, it all feel the same. best 520.00 i spent in a while. good luck to you.

4. fleet-master

fleet-master

man up. 4s plenty....well 4 kiwis that is :D:D:D:p

5. you need at least 5... 4 to lift it and one to drag the frame out from under it.alot easier than trying to have 4 guys coordinate and move the car.:)

6. 4 Barrels 2 4X4's Lift front slide 4X4 through set 4X4 2 barrels repeat at back. roll chassie out open the beer.

7. BobPer

BobPer

With the doors and deck lid four is not enough. There's a reason beer comes in six-packs, 12-packs etc. Easily divisable by 6, the safe number of friends to lift 36 Dodge bodies. Been there done that. Bob

8. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Four of us lifted the body of my 48 Ford coupe quiet easily. But that's four Mainers.....you might want to go with six.

9. Crankhole

Crankhole

I removed a Model A sedan body by myself. I put a floor jack under the rear, lifted at the firewall and rolled it back off the chassis. Four is plenty.

10. You guys need to eat your wheaties...Out here in Lumber jack country we lift bodies off frames with three guys....

In fact, J scow and I have done a 4 door model A with glass and it has a HEAVY wood substructure.....

11. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

I lift mine up and down from the back with a 4X4 and a engine hoist. I cut the 4x4 down so I can slide in the trunk acroos the lip. I put grooves on each side that fit into the underside of the trunk lip. I put to eye bolts one on each end withwashers and nuts not the lag style and a chain across them center it to the hoist and you use the hoist up and down all day. when I want to roll the chasis out then I will use barrels on the front end part. I am doing all the channelling and body repair myself so its convenient to be able to handle it all myself. I seen it on another chevy coupe build. if u need a pic send me a PM i will make one up.

12. hudsy-wudsy

hudsy-wudsy
    from MN

Thanks to you all! I'm glad now that I asked. I even got some sound tips from you guys.

13. fleet-master

fleet-master

got the body off yet??

14. Scumdog

Scumdog

OK, I'll be calling YOU when I need to take my '37 coupe body off the chassis!:D