Register now to get rid of these ads!

What does a fella have to do????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimbob, Dec 2, 2010.

1. They should be. I stood shoulder to shoulder with an Ausie once.
    I told him he should run he smiled and said what and miss all this fun?

Sometimes a lot of us "blokes (?)" are nervous about shipping out of the country. I wouldn't be worried about shipping to Austrailia but it is always iffy I guess.

Get me the info on the stuff you want and I'll see if they'll talk to me.

2. That only seems to work with old timers these days. The younger crowd never talks on one of those things nor do they ever answer one, its only used for thumb pushing. :rolleyes:

3. monsterflake

monsterflake

shoot, you guys use dollars, we use dollars, what's the problem?

i'd trade an american car for an australian car tho'...you got one with a blower that turns off and on?

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Yes indeed! A HAMBER just did that to me. "You know who you are."

5. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

The thing I ran into were guys who were wanting to buy it with their foreign currency (which,by the way, was worth at least 50% more than ours....so they're buying it much cheaper, relatively), who also indicated the price was fine on the initial contact, but afterwards started trying to make me absorb the shipping cost.....wtf?

I've got nothing against overseas guys buying my stuff....I have and will continue to do it, happily. However, even here in the US, that would get you a b*tch slap...where I come from at least.

6. Dirk35

Dirk35

Having never sent a car overseas, Ill be straight up....... Im scared, and you just might smell too, but for the most part.....scared.

Maybe concerned is the right word.

7. Labold

Labold

I've sold quite a few cars overseas. As long as the money comes through ok, I'm ok.

8. 73RR

73RR

So, jimbob, the question remains; what are you trying to buy? As a group we either have or know of thousands of cars for sale at any one point in time.

9. I've been having the same problem, except for cars already in Australia. 3 out of the last 4 people I have contacted about cars for sale haven't replied, god I wish some of them had.

Thanks

Hayden

10. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

hell, if you think it's scary, selling a car from the states, you want to try buying one sight unseen and arranging the shipping from the states, not knowing whether your idea of good and bad matchup with that of the seller until it arrives at the docks, where they then rape you for import taxes and duties. That'll keep you on the edge of your seat for a couple of months, I'll tell you. And if it does turn out to be not as expected , what is a foreign buyer going to do, send it back? Just pointing out that there's two sides to every coin.
    Paul

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  11. Welcome back you communist jerkwad!

And I will gladly sell my 54 Chevy overseas

12. earlymopar

earlymopar

I had the same issue with craigslist and after missing several cars, I decided to check my mail system. I sent the next replies to ads through another server or mail system and immediately got replies to the mails I had sent. I would guess that your mail filter could be seeing some incoming mails as spam or other junk mail and then rejecting them. Depending on how your system is set up, you may never see evidence of this.
    - EM

13. henryj429

henryj429

I have no problem selling overseas as long as the buyer doesn't burden me with hours of crap dealing with shippers. I sold a 41 Chev to Germany once - a guy came, handed me cash and left with the car. That's a but much to ask for a typical transaction. I'm willing to make a few phone calls to arrange pick-up times and such, but I'm not going to be be on the hook for making the whole shipment work.

I have a nice 41 Plymouth that would fit nice in a corrugated steel box..........

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it's a local thing, meaning here on the board. There's rude folks everywhere who flat out don't give a shit. Get mad at em and you're the asshole. Then again it could also be just a hitch in your communication system. The PM system here has yet to fail me but at least a few times a year I dump it so it's always open. Even if I did have some silly phobia about overseas transactions (I don't), I'd still pony up and tell that person about it.

Ya know, this is a good topic to bring that up too. Why don't more folks just speak the fuck up? I mean really, are there any dangers to telling it EXACTLY the way it is? It's even easier at the keyboard. It seems as common as the latest wave of stupidity that's sweeping the population. No manners, can't speak up, won't tell the truth, avoid confrontation at all cost. You know the type. Orders eggs over easy for breakfast, gets scrambled instead and just keeps it. WTF, over?

15. 73RR

73RR

Ya know that opening 'that' can of worms can lead to hours of discussion and in the end someone will close the thread. You and I might revel in the knowledge attained but some folks 'round these parts just don't want to hear (read) it. Too bad.

16. OK then I'll try and be more up front with what's on my mind. :D

I'm with you, what's the worse that can happen if you tell someone on the toher side of the world you just don't want to do business with them. Hell I told a fella a year or so back I wouldn't sell him a part and he was just up in Iowa. He was a new guy and I decided I didn't like him.

He got a little offended but its not like I singled him out, I don't like most people. :eek:

17. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I have a nice 1960 Impala listed in the classifieds. Course it's a 4 dr. hardtop.

18. 62rebel

62rebel

shit, buy my Falcon and the extra parts and i'll ride over with it to keep it company.

19. We have sold cars to Sweden, not a real big deal. The question still hasn't been answered, what kind of cars are you Aussies looking for? We know of hundreds of cars from the 1920's-1960's that are available the only problem its winter here in North Dakota and access to them is kinda tough right now with the snow and everything. The Hamber's that want to help you out, you need to send a PM to them!

20. i would rather never see the buyer. Or let the buyer see my shop/home/area. Bunch of people snooping around, that I would never in a million years ever let near my front gate, let alone, up my driveway. 90 percent of buyers are scum, just looking to steal what they can. I would deal with an out of town/state/country buyer before I'd let some low-life scumbag anywhere near anything on my property. And as far as Craigs-"hey I'm an asshole, looking to bust your balls"-list, we meet at a neutral site. They bring cash, I bring the item and my .45. Makes for a trouble free transaction.

21. Squablow

Squablow

You know you've got a good thread going when Ngo Long Dong makes an appearance.

I've got plenty of cars, I'd be happy to sell you one. I'd also be happy to buy one from someone else on your behalf for a modest fee if you run into people who don't want their precious junk leaving the country. Then you can have it picked up from my place.

22. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I was just doing it until you pointed that out. No sense in stopping huh?

23. I've stated directly in my For Sale ad on the HAMB that I'm willing to sell overseas. Look to the left...
    <<<<<<<<<<

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hear ya, I only thought it was one of the reasons this bloke is gettin put on a pay-no-mind list. I wouldn't want this closed if it gets him the result he's looking for. I hope my rant doesn't scare anyone off.

And hey, 'beaner, I don't think you get accused of it very often. There's a few of us who pretty much call em like we see em, popular or not:eek:

25. Over 200 cars for sale here and no qualms about them going overseas.

26. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

What time is it in Australia right now...??? JimBob go to bed...???

R-

27. zep058

zep058

About 9.35am.
    Wake up JimBob, we wanna know what kind of car you are considering.

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hmm, funny, there are certain thread subjects that experience has taught me to NOT touch with a ten foot pole on the internet, here or on any other board, just not worth the ensuing storm of bullshit that always seems to ensue. Cam related threads are probably the worst, followed by "what carb" questions. Its like religious dogma or something, they seem to just go absolutely stark-raving berserk. Foaming at the mouth, speaking in tongues...

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My thoughts exactly...

30. Crestliner

Crestliner

Seems as though its gets worse. I have 2 at the present that have had more than enough time to sent funds. Several boxes packed that might as well put back on shelf. Wish we expose these bums.