Register now to get rid of these ads!

what do you think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by justheman, Apr 3, 2009.

1. justheman

justheman

so my grandfather has requested that i extend his cab of his model a, after reading some posts it seems like 4 inches is a good amount. my question is do i add it to the door or the qt. i made some quick photo shops of both. i just need to figure out which way to go. he thinks extending the door i think extending the qt. i started to work on the qt cause i thought it would look cleaner but now i am having doubts.

Attached Files:

2. Quarter, if something happens to the door, it's easily replaced.

3. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

The door would be harder for sure but, it'll be easier for him to get in and out if you did it.

Norton

4. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

the truck in my avatar is extended 4 , done to the back of the cab ! brookville pannels cut of the back 4 inches and attached them to the back of the cab ! makes all the difference in the world since there ain't alot of room to start with !

5. justheman

justheman

i have to make door skins anyway since im flush fitting the doors. i think the extended door looks a little goofy but at the same time it might be easier to get into

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trust me, extend the door. I only extended my RPU body bu 2 inches but it was done in the rear tub. With the seats further back it makes more difficult to get in and out off.
    If you go 4, remember he may not be as young as he once was. A simple decision like this could decide weather the car gets driven or not. At the time I was recovering from breaking my back and I COULD NOT get in and out at all!
    Doc.

7. Roadsir

Roadsir

Practical thought is that if need the extra length for legroom, then you probably need the extra length in the door to get in and out, and I think the door looks better extended than the quarter does.

The most subtle look would be two inches each. More work but it would maybe go unnoticed.

Eric

8. I'd go with the extended door, precisely for the reasons above!

9. Squablow

Squablow

Personally I think the door would look better and be more functional, but I could also see how it'd be more work.

10. justheman

justheman

i dont care about the work i just want it to look right... what about if i did 2 and 2 anyone have any idea about that?

11. tltony

tltony
    from El Cajon

I just rolled the top 6" back and got a little more space. I actually made quite a difference

Attached Files:

12. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

your the one doin the work ! i think that would look good though ! as stated though if he's up there in age all door may be the way to go , they are a little tricky to slip in and out of !

13. justheman

justheman

hes up there but he can get around he mainly wants it for the leg room is what he told me... he said he thought the door cause he liked how it looked in the photo

14. Rooney00

Rooney00

I think the extended door looks way better. The proportions look right. Plus it would be easier to get in and out of as everyone has said.

15. justheman

justheman

i guess i should have posted this before i did the qt work oh well this is the only way im going to learn how to do most of this work...

16. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

if you already have the quarters extended and he gets in and out the doors ok proceed forward with it , the problem i see with the doors is extending the rocker area below the door which could be a pain in the ass , not to say it couldnt be done ! but where ever you decide to extend it i'm sure he will be happy with the difference the extra room makes

17. justheman

justheman

i only have one just did a little bit of work today... this is my first job ever and its a learning process. so whatever my grandfather wants it is his car afterall.

18. justheman

justheman

does anyone think doing 2 inches in the quarter and 2 inches in the door would look alright... here is the quick photoshop i did of it...

Attached Files:

19. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

When Chip Foose did the P-32 he stretched the doors and took some out of the quarters. It gave the car some nice proportions I thought. That might be an option as well but it is a lot more work.

Ed

20. justheman

justheman

it has nothing to do with comfort for him... he was just telling me what he thought would look better... he said he has had no problem getting in and out the way it is. I just want to make sure it looks ok when its all done.