Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, Jan 27, 2018.

1. silent rick

silent rick

the moose took care of me on the photoshop thread.

here's the original car

[​IMG]

here it is with the mods i asked for

[​IMG]

basically, i asked for the deuce shell because the desoto might be hard to find. i asked for under car exhaust since i have a Y block and am thinking of running polished ram horns. and i asked for the striped roof treatment which kind of reminded me of the striped shirts the beach boys wore on ed sullivan with the hotrods on stage.
    and since nobody liked my idea of replacing the flat model T roofline with the curved model A top, i've decided this car has the right stance and chop to suit my needs. i can make this happen.

now the latest version

[​IMG]

so lets hear the thoughts.

EDIT: and now for something completely different

[​IMG]

latest idea in my head. no striped roof but a vertical finned aluminum firewall instead. is this any better?

T (1).jpg

or would you rather be blown?

T (1) copy.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  2. silent rick

silent rick

3. rc57

rc57

Do it! Get a different shirt though.

Nice job Moose

Sandgroper and silent rick like this.
  4. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it looks great. I would utilize the "A" roof style if it's already a fixed to your body. It's unique and the stripe idea could still be done.

5. squirrel

squirrel

The shell needs to be a lot smaller. If you can't find the Desoto, maybe find something else that has a similar shape, and make it the right size to match the original car.

The stripes....how about you wear a shirt like they wore, and leave the roof white? same effect, but the car will look better :)

I don't like the exhaust on the original car, but it probably would look good if you were to fabricate some other style of showy headers, and get them chromed.

6. silent rick

silent rick

yeah, stripes and plaid don't mix

the model A top is another of moose's photoshops

7. Not a fan of the stripes! If you are going to copy the car then do just that! If not then do your own thing. JMO

Hnstray, Terrible80 and Dino 64 like this.
  8. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I don't like the A top on the T body, just doesn't look quite right But I've always liked the tall T coupes.

bchctybob, pitman and J53 like this.
  9. I like the small nose and the flat T roof.

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Sorry.. I like the original...

Dino 64 likes this.
  11. I like it. Kinda 50/50 on the striped roof though. And I am not gay so I really couldn't care less what shirts you wear...:eek:

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

IMHO, the stripes are way too busy and pull your eyes away from the rest of the car. It looks like a 1950's window awning. A subtle design such as the original is just enough to break up that huge white canvas.
    The main two things I'd change on that car would be to dump the tractor looking Desoto grille and dump the spring in front of the axle setup. That spring REALLY breaks up the grille and looks like a tow truck push bumper hanging up and out front of everything.
    Deuce shell looks okay but needs to be sectioned a tad as it looks massive when compared to that firewall, but I think Deuce shells look best on T's with a hood (at least a hood top). Hoodless, I'd go painted T or A shell to size up with the tiny T firewall, which lost a bit more footprint with the body channel, and let everyone's eyes focus on the engine as the main focal point of the car.

Sandgroper and silent rick like this.
  13. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Loose the stripes, chop the 32 shell, IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. Anderson

Anderson

I think the A top works but would look better if the top rear corner of the 1/4 window was more rounded.

silent rick likes this.
  15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I don't like the striped roof and would agree with the others on the grille shell, painted A or T shell would fit better!

16. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  17. silent rick

silent rick

there's a photo somewhere that moose inserted a model A shaped quarter window. not sure if i liked it. here's one that he rounded the top quarter.
    [​IMG]

thanks everyone
    keep the comments coming.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Is there going to be a grade after this?

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  19. Love the vibe
    The 32 shell is too long but I like it better.
    I always like over the rail pipes on cars like this. Some lakes pipes or t bucket style headers possibly.
    Chop a little more in the front......maybe

The moose did good

20. I agree with others about moving the front spring so it's not the first thing you see coming down the road. Sectioned deuce grill...tough to argue that.

The striped roof would require a continuation of the theme in the interior...and I think it would look pretty busy. Striped roofs look great on Chrysler race cars. A signature of the T coupe is that tall flat roof. I think losing it in favour of the A style roof is going to look confusing.

Looks like a pretty cool car/build. Good luck with it. Opinions will differ...it is your car though so only your opinion counts...until it's time to sell.

silent rick likes this.
  21. silent rick

silent rick

maybe i shouldn'y have included a photo of the original car. this wasn't an attempt to copy or improve the original car. i only picked it because it had in my opinion, the right amount of chop, a great stance and proportions, slicks, a 6 deuce intake and a nice, full 3/4 view. it was a good platform for moose to work his magic with my ideas.
    i asked @themoose for another modification, that is to remove the front spring from the photo. i've been building this car in my head and collecting parts for over a year now. i have started threads here on the hamb about all sorts of things that have influenced me with this build.
    like the model A roof, reversing a model T firewall and Y block header thread. all of your comments have helped me form an idea which will eventually become my build. that's what's great about the hamb. so keep your ideas coming and please don't tell me to build whatever i want. i know it's my car, i'd like to hear why you think the way you do.
    don't worry, your comments aren't going to hurt my feelings. if they do, i'll just come over and kill you.

seriously, keep them coming. i promise i won't ask you to help me come up with a name for my car. that, i'm good at. cadillac bob once accused me of naming my dogs after strippers.

Just Gary likes this.
  22. A Boner

A Boner

^^^^THIS

Dino 64 likes this.
  23. spendingtheirinheritance

spendingtheirinheritance

what do you guys think?

I think you should fix the heater in your daily driver.

silent rick likes this.
  24. If I am not mistaken that was Buzz Sawyers car that I saw at Half Moon Bay drag-strip in 1958. That car always stuck in my mind form that day, as well as a chopped powder blue 1957 Ranchero, ( Dick Tiago's ) ? With primer paint still on the windshield posts.

25. indyjps

indyjps

I like the A roof, rear window just needs a bit of reshaping. I see no reason the take it back to a flat top.

Original car, stance, color great. Better grille shell would help. Spring out front is OK, these cars were unique when built.

26. silent rick

silent rick

newest version, the moose got rid of the spring, sectioned the grill a bit more and added frame horns.

[​IMG]

27. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i like it rick!

28. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I like the last version except for the top. The stripes are just to bold/distracting. Can we see it with a dark top? The A top would certainly be a one of a kind feature that would attract a lot of attention to the car. I think it would be a very technical ( make that difficult) project to do.

Dick Stevens likes this.
  29. Well I would not have a problem with an A roof personally. I have seen a couple of '27 Coupes with '28 A pillars in my life and liked them real well.

That said, I like the second rendition with the spring in front and the stripped roof, I am assuming that the roof is being done in vinyl? Rolls n pleats would make it even sweeter for me but I am a bicho raro. The down side to the spring in front is that it is right out there and you have to keep it pristine, it is a visual thing and mucked up won't fly.

Anyway for what it is worth that is what I think.

silent rick likes this.
  30. A Boner

A Boner

The last pic looks good, but I can't imagine the front spring, axle, tie rod, panhard bar, radiator, radiator hoses, and fan all fitting in the space provided.

Dino 64 likes this.