Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What do you do with old auto paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tobyflh, Jan 8, 2015.

1. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

I'm cleaning out my shop and have some leftover paints form projects. Some clear, primer, reducer and other auto finishing products. But I don't know how to get rid of them. The paint store will not take them. The city only collects once a year. I can't throw them in the garbage or dump them out back. Can you use oildry on them? what do you do?

2. metal man

metal man

I've poured it into a box of sawdust, wait till dry (hard) and threw it in the dumpster.

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Does your tool box or garage fridge need a new paint job???

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  4. Where I live,I can just put it in my burn pile...

51 BIRD likes this.

5. or inside dump truck beds, on floors under carpeting, paint the inside of your dumpster, inside body panels, bottom of fence posts etc.... better to use it than waste it.

kiwijeff likes this.
  6. chopt31

chopt31

dump on cardboard let dry then in garbage

7. ken1939

ken1939

Check with your local township or boro (not sure which you have in Il) and see what they suggest. I know locally we can do two things, one is when they have a special day to turn those things in, or with our local waste disposal they get you special bags for collection. If its alot, mabey check on a safety clean place where they deal in that residue. Or call a local body shop and see who they are using.

8. Use it up some place.

A cragslist ad in free stuff and give it to someone who can figure out how to use it.

This is also a good idea that works well.

9. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I posted some for free on here along with some thinner several years ago and had some HAMBERS come and picked it up.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  10. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

Summer time I would dump it in the dumpster on card board and it would dry by the time they emptied it. A little to cold right now. I did not think of the saw dust and it just so happens I might have more saw dust them paint. Thanks.

11. My local landfill will take them on a certain day of the week. The last time, I just pulled up with a trunk load and left it where they pointed. I have another batch ready to go, thanks for the reminder.

Call your local fire department or local township, they should be able to help. My local FD also does the collection, but only once or twice a year.

12. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

make a pile for the yearly drop off, doesnt take much space.

13. BJR

BJR

Almost anyone building a car can use thinner and primer. Post a free ad on craigslist.

14. At the dump in my county (not my yard, the Other dump) they take in all the stuff that is Dangerous, like paint and cleaning supplies then put it on a shelf for a few minutes before someone like me comes in and takes it away to use. Like week was especially dangerous. I got a case of ATF, some windshield washer fluid, a jug of CLR, and a gallon of gloss "carriage black" paint. Couple weeks before a contractor had dropped off a few 5 gal buckets of new, neutral colored house paint. Sold those for $50 each and bought an 8" rear for my project with the proceeds. I did go there on a Tuesday and thought the "lady" with the crew cut and big jeans was gonna rip my head off. No picking up on Tuesday she screamed. Must mean they're open the other 6 days though? They call it "county toxic waste recycling".

Posted using the Full Custom twig in the sand App!

33sporttruck and bobss396 like this.
  15. Locally paint is only haz-mat if liquid, pour out on cardboard and let dry, then into the dumpster. Thinner and such, I would let evaporate from the open container, then recycle the container.
    At my house, paint cans are opened and thrown in the wood stove, thinner tends to evaporate whether I want it to or not.

16. Anything that can be catalysed just add the hardener and it will harden. Then it can just be thrown out.

17. oldolds

oldolds

My garbage guy will take hard paint.. I sometimes dump it in and on a car going to junk yard. As far as open container, you must be careful. In some states an Environmental Cop can give you a hard time about that. In any state an insurance inspector will give you a problem.

18. I have taken it to the dumpster of someone who took advantage of me then called the city on them before. ;)

tobyflh
    If I was serious about properly disposing of hazardous materials I would just do a google search for a company near you that recycles or disposes of hazardous materials. Most major metropolitan areas have at least one such service provider if not several.

19. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

i normally pour it into catlitter.

20. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

My town has a S.T.O.P. program, (stop throwing away pollutants). They have it twice a year and take anything. Where I live it is illegal to throw paint into the garbage.

21. I see you live in Illinios...this means you may drive a "winter beater" in the cold months. I mixed all my paints together and blew it on my beater with an old Rainbow vacuum cleaner so my wife wasn't so offended by the rusty, multi-colored hulk. Usually comes out a dark, grayish green semi gloss. My white 75 Pacer, 77 monte carlo and 71 el camino looked great in that color.. I mask off the windows, headlights and tailights....eveything else gets coated.

tb33anda3rd and kiwijeff like this.
  22. HtRdLcn

HtRdLcn

I bought some used automotive paint once. It came in the shape of a car.

kiwijeff likes this.
  23. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

My city has a hazardous waste drop off location that is open 6 days a week. I'm no tree hugger, but I see no reason for all towns to have a hazardous waste drop off location open AT LEAST once a week

24. Are you on L.I.? We get a postcard in the mail with a big stop sign on it now and then. I think I put a box out on the curb once and they took it away.. or someone took it away.

Just strap your old HM collections to an old lawn mower or gas grill... the whole dealy will be gone in 2 hours.

25. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with those that advocate using it some way rather than just disposing of it. Our county has a disposal facility, and the take the unopened cans of anything and put it into a separate room for re-use. I haven't bought a spray can of primer or a can of wax in years.

26. 5window

5window

What do you do with old auto paint? Paint old autos?

27. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Someone can use it depending on what it is. Friend of mine saves all his stuff. Paj ts cars in garage for people and will base stuff.out w "trash can" something close to the color he is spraying so he won't have to use or order as much new paint for the project.

28. I work in the waste management consulting business and can't add a single thing to what's already been identified here... and most of the options identified actually fall in the realm of good management practices. I'm impressed with this well-schooled bunch. I can recall a time not too many years back when the majority opinion would have been to use it to kill a few weeds! (Don't)

29. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

30. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I was told to take the lid off unwanted house paint and let it dry good and hard, then throw it in the garbage. If I had a can of old paint in the basement I would leave it on top of the furnace for 2 weeks.

Better to use it up if you can.

270dodge likes this.