Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do you believe makes for a successful car show?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by timmy25252, Oct 26, 2007.

1. timmy25252

timmy25252

I have been kicking around the idea with my uncle, who is a president of a local motorcycle club, to run a car show at their motorcycle drag strip. I am going in front of the club in the begining of december to present the idea.

So far I was thinking:
    All cars and trucks pre 1972 (A little high but need cars for the first year)
    $5 for pre-registration with atleast a $200 cash drawing for just the pre-registered.
    $8 for day of show
    Than just a few awards, 50/50 and door prizes.

Flea market will be $5 in advance and $10 day of show.

Show will be in eastern Pa and looking at sometime in August, Sept. or Oct. I want to wait for dates of other shows since I don't want to interfere.

Do you think I am on the right track?
    What do you feel makes a great show?

2. Good Wood

Good Wood
    from pa

Your ideas seem pretty good. I really like pre-'65, but I see your point. Just have plenty of rest rooms, and food.

Pray for good weather. That's can make or break a new show.

Good luck with your plan. Let me know when it is. I'll be there.

3. 41woodie

41woodie

I think that the best one's are when I win the give-away car.

4. Tony

Tony

No trophies and a laid back feeling..early iron too.
    Jalopy Showdown come's to mind.

5. If you've been to Billetproof,you have your answer.

Laid back,no BS,no politics,reasonable prices for admission
    AND food/drinks,no Cry Baby Dolls or Cry Baby owners.

6. Hooligansince65

Hooligansince65
    from Chicago

why the sun good,why a tree good, whyz boobs good they just are. Joe Dirt.

7. Lots of cars, reasonable car entry/walk in admission/ food& drink prices..

A swap meet area always adds a little fun for me..

8. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

No cheesy loud speaker music. And if you gotta have that, don't make it "night out at the 50s chainer music" or fucking "soft rock." Play some music with balls. Outside of that, you idea sounds like a good foundation for a show.

9. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

free beer, and i might show up.

10. fuck everything everyone is saying .the best show is one your at having fun with your friends and family nothing else can top that.....

11. Harris

Harris

+1 as long as everyones enjoying themselves.

12. chopo

chopo

good crew of guys, good music, fair fee's. no rain dates. The Jalopy Showdown in a nutshell.

13. Richard Head

Richard Head

-No trophies
    -Include a meal with admission
    -No loudspeaker music
    -Cars parked on grass
    -Don't fill cars with flyers at other car shows, it brings the wrong element. (typical car show 'tards who want trophies)
    -Invite people with nice cars who don't like car shows. They will invite others like them. And it will snowball from there. Its always more interesting to see different cars.

Dave

14. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

I was just part of an indoor show up here in MI. Only worked on it the three days and the previous laying out the floor and backing in trailers. Worked my a$$ off and slept very little.
    People's choice, "pick" is nice. Stay away from awards. It implies someone's ride is better than anybody. Our show didn't bring in the spectators that the organizer would have liked. However, before the doors ever opened, Ray said "it wasn't about money he just wants everone to have a good time". It was the 50th anniversary of the first indoor show in Lansing and was put on by the car club that did it back then. Guys were all in there later 60s and up to 70. They were kids when they did the first one. The show turned out to be one of the best event I've been to. Saw and met people that I had only read about in magazines and a buddies research of local CCs. Many had moved hundreds of miles. Many were around the corner but cars weren't so important anymore. It had a reunion kind of feeling. The organizers had a blast. Real glad I was able to take part. Guess the show was a success.
    Bottom line.
    Make sure everybody has fun.....and evrything else will fall into place:D
    my 2 cents.

15. Noland

Noland

I think you got the right idea

16. yekoms

yekoms

If you insist on awards. Keep it light hearted and fun no points system crap. Make them the home made trophies. Let a few of the bike club guys that are helpin' out deside what bike/car gets them. Don't use "best "on them use "Favorite." Favorite Paint job,Favorite Flatty, Favorite Bobber for example. Like the Magnetos do it at their Thrill Show. www.themagnetos.com they are local contact them or pm me and I'll explain it better.
    Just think about the shows that you've been to and the likes/dislikes about them.
    If you you have enough help have the bikes draggin' on the show day. Just to expose the bike drags to folks that never saw it before.
    Car shows are better with engine noise.
    Reigelsville show is commin up. A lot of people like that one. check it out talk to the guys runnuin' it.
    We have a bunch of good car events around here in PA. (Thanks Scary Larry and crew) so youll get it figured out. Smokey

17. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

A fully stocked open bar, under a party tent , right in the middle of it would help some. Might break up the monantany:D .

18. Tacson

Tacson

Have Food available
    Have clean restrooms
    Something if possible for the misses to do
    Decent area to park
    Make everyone feel appreciated for coming like a dash plaq
    IF you do awards make it as open and fair as possible
    Swap meet would be golden

19. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

To be brutally honest

All the local pre-65 shows I go to are small and lame unless they're old, established, and have a killer setting. At a bare minimum, consider going up to 72. Muscle will double your pool of possible entries. Going up into late models will do the same again. You don't have to park the groups together, but don't be rigid if some buds with vastly different cars want to park together.

That's a big thing to recognize if car count is important. People tend to bring cars in groups, but groups of friends don't necessarily have the same cars in finished, presentable condition. Sort of a deal where if you want the badass 55 gasser, you need to allow his buddy's tricked out grand national, cause it's a social event first and foremost. Everybody thinks late model owners are a different breed, but many have something old cooking at home. When they get it done, they'll remember who wouldn't let their super-fly late model in and take their money, and their newly finished pre-64 ride elsewhere. Seen it, done it, watch my buddies do it all summer long.

As a spectator, I'll go to a small show in the right setting. Shade, grass, refreshment stands, not 105 degrees, FREE. Increase your car count, and I'll tolerate more discomfort or entry fees.

20. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

One of the most important is advertising. the other stuff will fall in place. if you are a car guy, you will know what is good.

21. 53Heavy

53Heavy

Just look for the repeats in the thread....shade, no overplayed 'tard 50's music cranked to the highest level the cheap speakers will handle, hand made "Favorites" trophies (if any), and something to get the cars MOVING! Racing, cruisin, something.....cars have wheels (they should MOVE and be HEARD.

22. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

One event I go to has a $15 spectator admission BUT has all you can drink beer and food from 3 to 6 pm.. Its at an airport so they have heads up racing ran by the fire dept.

As for a location, the best place is at a park... Everyone likes the shade and grass and picnics... Events in shopping center parking lots suck.

For music, we have a DJ who likes to play tons of obsure 50s stuff, mostly early 60s soul and Chess and Stax records..... Vinyl sounds awsome at a show. There is also a trivia gave where the winner can get a case of oil or something that has been donated.

23. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

LOL..yeah, it sucks waiting to 'claim your prize' uh??.....Tony has the 'JIST'!!

24. I'll tell you what works for me.
    1-pick a year cut-off,and STICK TO IT! NO EXCEPTIONS...
    2-no loud music,whatever kind it is...
    3-plenty of restrooms...

25. timmy25252

timmy25252

I appreciate everybody's feedback so far and it will be taking in consideration.

If I am going to have an award or two, they would be homemade out of car parts like was done at a previous show I helped with. I know how some people don't like to wait around thats why I am considering having the giveaways started at 2 or earlier.

As far as music, I would like to find a reasonable priced band to play instead of the dj. This way there can be entertainment.

The location would be grass parking for the cars with a nice shaded pavilion area for the band and food. Even has a huge fire pit if the weather is a little chilly.

26. hatch

hatch
    from house

I prefer shows with sixties top fuelers doing full passes in the parking lot....if that isn't possible, Pee Wee Herman as a disc jockey

27. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I'd add not only cut off but style. If it's for Traditional Rods and Kustoms make sure no billet stuff gets in.
    I second the "no loud music, what ever kind it is" Try talking to a guy about his car and you have to yell to be heard.
    Tons of Restrooms a must.

28. drock6570

drock6570

Lil -billy said it best---no cheesy loud speaker music!!!! clean porto shitters will help keep the dolls happy and thus allow the fellas to stay and play longer! Food is a must!! A band would be cool

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Unfortunately, I have come to believe that there are no successful car shows. Only ones not as screwed up as others. It's sad, but the human element is what usually ruins a show or even a cruise. People need to learn to just be conciderate to others and their space, as well as the place the show or cruise is happening. Another element that seems to ruin a show are the idiots who don't even have a car at the show! The "junior badasses" who WISH they could be cool and usually are driving a piece of shit, if they are even driving at all. I have talked to guys who don't take their cars to outdoor shows because they either got some stuff ripped off while they went looking at other cars or they had to leave someone to guard their cars. That's bullshit.

30. dbradley

dbradley

Just exactly when did a lawn chair become part of a HotRod??????