Register now to get rid of these ads!

what do you about your cold shop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Nov 22, 2010.

1. I insulated the hell out of the garage and use a 70000 btu kerosene indoor heater. I use a fan to circulate the heat and it takes about an hour to hit the 60,s when the outside temp is in the teens. Burns about 2 gals in 8 hrs.

2. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

3. 32Essex

32Essex
    from Texas

40' X 60' shop,six skylights,well insulated doors and walls , turn on the 156,000 BTU natural gas heater and set it on 65 and don't turn it off until Spring, worse bill I've had was $ 120 for a month.

4. Don't know, shop never gets cold enough to be a problem :D

5. 1936hotrod

1936hotrod
    from RI/CT

30 x50 attached to house, half with 15 ft ceilings other with 10 ft 175,000 btu propane furnace hanging in ceiling out of the way.. Walk over turn t-stat up warm in 5 min. Cost 1200. new installed 2 years ago. Next to a lift... best investment i made. If its 3am and i break something on a plow truck nice and warm also.Too old for wood stoves and chasing kero.
    Clean nice heat. Would like central air also but with lots of insulation not a big deal.

6. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

Oh you California guys are soooooo funny. :p

7. goatram

goatram

By a Natural Gas Furnace that was given to me when I built my shop in 2006. Shop is insulated and the furnace is on a thermostat. I have three ceiling fans to keep the shop evenly heated to 60 degrees while I am out in the shop and at 45 to keep the pipes from freezing. Shop is 30 by 36' with 19' high at the peek

8. doctorZ

doctorZ

i live in california!

9. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

Shop? What shop? :(

Right now the wreck is outside. I'm planning on building a shop next spring if I can raise the funds but until then, I freeze. :(

I have a small shed where I can work on my engine etc inside, I can heat that with an electric heater, so on the cold days it will be engine building time. I guess I could toss a mini electric heater inside the cab and work in there too. :D

10. 94hoghead

94hoghead

My shop is 40X40X14, insulated. I use a double head radiant heater. It warms the area that I'm working in instead of the entire shop. Works for me...

11. 29AV8

29AV8

wear more clothes. mind over matter ya know.If you dont have a mind it sure as hell doesnt matter. I used to work for block layer as a hod carrier back in the day. All winter long the guy wore sweat pants and a sweatshirt thats it. I mean it gets pretty cold here in Indiana. never knew how he didnt freeze.

12. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

I live in Arizona, we have 11 months of summer and one month of winter, if you call in the low 50's winter. As I recall we have two days of frost last year.

13. 22x32 well insulated shop heated with wood right from my street.

14. Patdoody

Patdoody

I have one of those torpedo heaters which works well in my small 25x25 shop but its starting to not run right and kinda stinks. I was donated one of those cheapy horrible freight wood stoves last year, I might make a flue for it and run it this year tho. K1 is damn expensive to keep burning in that other heater.

15. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

The heats in the tools boys!

16. refried confusion

refried confusion

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  17. tom brown

tom brown

remember as kid rodders-cold and weather did'nt stop you.focus on your work- not the cold- the nuckles and cuts coagulate great below 20 deg. do'nt miss a day of fun with your projects. an old rodder

18. pellet stove until the plumber shows up to hook up the oil boiler. installed radiant heat in the new floor!

19. When I designed my new house 20 years ago, I put my shop in the basement with two double garage doors. Only problem, I'm getting to old to get up and down the stairs.

Can't do it in rain or really bad weather but other times I ride my Handicap scooter around to my downstairs shop.

Being a retired EE my house is an all electric house with insulation for electric heat. So the basement gets fairly chilly. Got a 125,000 wood circulator to warm it up.

20. 5 degrees tonight, got home to a 55 degree shop without the heat even on. Fired up the forced air and am 65 now. Installing a wood furnace that will prob melt me outta the place and should heat the whole house. 2 foot thick straw bale walls prob help? ;)

21. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

Hey!- 53sled. used to have the same thermocouple problem with my house furnace, then talked to a heat and air guy on the job and he said that the thermocouple was placed to deep in the pilot flame. he said i should adjust it so the flame just barely touched it. after i did this i never had to replace a t.c. again. give it a try!

22. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

23. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Thermal drawers till it's cold, after it gets real cold, less than 10, I wear a wet suit.

24. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I got some heavy coveralls, and I keep movin.

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have a 24x26 garage and a 10' radiant tube gas heater. It's awesome and keeps me nice and warm. Right now it's -25 here.

They are 40% more efficient than most other heaters and its electronic ignition with no standing pilot.

The other nice thing is no flame in the shop, the combustion air is taken through an intake from outside through the wall and the exhaust is vented on the other end through the wall also. So, fumes from painting, solvents etc etc are no problem, no explosion hazard :)

Nothing through the roof.

http://www.calcana.com/garage-heaters/garage-heaters.htm

Attached Files:

26. Steel 35

Steel 35

1200. in Insulation 10 years ago has helped High in the Cascades; I use a Oil Radiant heater on low setting all week and kick it up before the weekends, Like it No open flame and can move it to the area I am working for a little xtra warmth, Lots of Propane back ups in case the doors are open a little too long.

27. ih1210

ih1210
    from reno nv.

i have a small radiant heater that runs on 110. if your unfortunate enuff to have a 64 square foot shop it works great for less than a dollar a day.

28. Jagman

Jagman

The garage is under the bedrooms (split level house) and somehwat insulated, then I have a couple of electric radiant heaters to keep my hands from getting too stiff. If it gets down close to 0* I either quit or go down to the basement and work...

29. Red Dragon Racing

Red Dragon Racing
    from Indiana

My shop is 36'x24' and has a 12'x24' as part of it. That room is insulated and heated. I have my desk, a couple of assembly tables and room to work on the dirtbikes there. For work on the Fairlane or Jeep, its overalls and hat time. One of these days I'll get around to insulating the two bays.

30. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I'll try that. And to those in california,<br>
    [​IMG]