Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do ya do with a big ol Nailhead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frizby, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Frizby

Frizby
    from Cisco, Il

My buddy found a 401 nailhead with a 400 tranny for sale. I'm thinking about buying it, but would like to know what I'm getting into. Is there any faults with these motors. What can you do to hop them up, and still be streetable(somewhat!). Need some oldtimers to tell me how they used to do it. Any tips or tricks no matter how small would be helpfull. I'm thinking about running a late 60's mustang radiator and electric fans(s). Is that enough to keep it cool or do these motors run hot? What kinds mods does your nailhead have and is it working for you?

2. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

they are JUNK. you should buy it and give it to ME!!!!!!! i love em :)

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yes they suck. Just ask Clark. Let me know where it is and I shall dispose of it correctly... no charge... :D

4. Frizby

Frizby
    from Cisco, Il

Man you guys put vultures to shame! I think I'll buy it and stick in 70's chevy van. Far out!

5. suedesled

suedesled
    BANNED

The nailhead is one of the engineering marvels of the last century. We make a lot of parts for it as well as a few other companies. If you do a search for nailhead in this forum you will find a lot of pics. Heres a few to get you started. The first is mine and the second is a customers

Attached Files:

6. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

Suede--

Just plain bitchin'!

RRR

7. You have the best of both... the 401 is a great motor, and the TH400 will make whatever you put it in fly. They aren't a high rev engine but they will wrinkle pavement with torque. As far as hot rodding them goes... high volume oil pump, get the heads done, and be ready to spend, spend spend on them! You should try to find a shop that knows about nailheads too!!! Don't take it to your local checker auto parts for machine work! Have a neoprene main seal put in it. Have hardened exhaust seats and stainless exhaust valves installed. Put a HUGE cam in it, and as many carbs as will fit!

8. NOT!!

It's got over 400ftlbs of torque in stock form.
    Hardened seats have ruined 3 out of 4 heads. The seats are too close to the water jacket....even the REALLY thin ones.
    The Heads are made from some really high nickel iron and the valves do not need the hardened seats to run Unleaded.

When you are ready to start messing with it, let us know and we can get you a good cam recommendation.

9. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

does it have the "switch-pitch" torque converter? use the biggest radiator that will fit into the car you are putting it into!

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Obviously hotrodnailhead doesn't know Nailheads... Maybe a name change is in order... :D:D:D

11. Opinions. Nailheads run HOT. ESPECIALLY the heads. I have built them and run 'em HARD. Never had a prob with hardend seats. Maybe if the machine opperator cutting for the seats isn't schooled. I don't know WHAT you are talkin about the casting too thin? I have seen guys cut for bigger valves, and the only thing stoppin how big to go was they would run into the intake valve!
    :)

Geta good water pump, a big rad and I clean out the water passages from the block to the pump cause theres usually a bunch of casting flash right there.

NO NEED FOR A NAME CHANGE. ;)

12. Reprisal

Reprisal

13. Rodshop

Rodshop

Looks like if you make the HAMB drags you will be able to hear mine run. I fired it this last weekend. This is my first Nailhead motor, but I like what I hear so far. Mine is set up with dual four barrels, and cam from Poston's and headers I made for an open engine '36 Dodge Coupe. I put a four speed behind it, but so far do not have much info on how it is going to perform. I have to rebuild some carbs and get my insurance and tags, then try to get some miles on it before the HAMB Drags.
    Rodshop

14. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

Big?? With the vertical heads you can fit them where a lot of others could not fit. Nailhead dress up better than most engines out there. Torque monsters too.

15. sickboy13

sickboy13

yes, get it and ship it over here so i can see how it looks in my BUICK!!! oh, like evey one else said you wouldn't want that motor!!!

16. striper

striper

I'm gettin' all excited. I haven't fired mine yet. Oh yeah....haven't assembled it yet either

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Actually it's not opinion it's fact... THERE IS NO NEED FOR HARDENED SEATS IN A NAILHEAD... Any clearer? An as Stevie said the passages are dangerously close... Of course I'm going to listen to the guy who doesn't even have a Nailhead... like I said name change... :eek:

18. Ya fill the short block with all the good stuff, port and polish it, find a JC prepped stack injection (impossible these days) and stuff it in Gas Altered. Then when no one is suspecting you dump full of POP, grin and win.

I'm not a Nail head fan, but they are a killer mill. A 401 stock in a light rod will make you pucker every time you stab the loud peddle. Loads of torque, they were made to push a 2 ton boat around town.

If you're using a T, A or cut down Deuce grill shell a Mustang Desert cooler will cool it just fine.

19. Plowboy

Plowboy

Ummmmm, I believe is a 425 with the switch pitch convertor and I really don't think I will everyone how much we can get it for!

There are some advantages to living in a place where no one builds hot rods!

I will wait until we have accumulated the large pile of parts before we reveal the super top secret project that we hope to roll into the pileup.

20. Valentine

Valentine

Screw putting it in a van! Put it in a mail jeep man! You could be leader in hot rod inovation!!! It will be the wave of the future.

On a side note Holzhausen is getting me a deal on some steel if you need any more. Let me know!

21. OK. you are right. (secretly) I HATE those fuckin engines... I think that they will ruin his heads at the shop and THAT will eliminate ONE MORE of those crappy ass engines.

I don't know what the big deal is... I have run hardend seats in all of the nailheads I have built (or help build), and I have never had a prob.

HA! (I'm "in between" nailheads right now!)

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You're not very good at the whole sarcasm thing are you? The fact is the high nickel content of the Nailhead castings means that the hardened seats are not necessary. And yes the heads will end up ruined more often than not. Why do something not needed anyway? If you talk to most of the big Nailhead guys (Tommy Telesco, Carmen Faso, etc) they will tell you the same thing. But then I guess maybe you know more than them... :eek:

23. how are the dynaflow trannys?
    crap?
    not bad?
    not bad, but 400's are better?

24. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

The dynaflows are not necessaraly crap. Your not gonna win any races. They feel like one long gear I'm not sure about the triple turbine ones though never had one. Most people try to find a sp400 out of a 65-66 buick. Its basicaly a reg chevy 400 with a different torque converter.

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

They are one gear when in Drive, there is no changing of gears unless you put it in Low. The 400, wether a SP or ST is the way to go...

26. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

Zman whats up with the 57 any progress I haven't seen you post anyting about it since the jag susspension. One day I'll have one too you lucky bastard.

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

New brake lines this coming week, new master cylinder, and then put the new motor in so I can drive it to the Drags.... :D

28. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

Nailheads were a long stroke motor, this and the restrictive exhaust valve made for KILLER torque, it burn-out time!!!!!

29. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

I would have to classify the dynaflows as not bad, they leak , but I have heard they hold up pretty well and are generally pretty stout, but as performance goes they suck.

30. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

If I can my tranny rebuilt on the rivi in time I'm gonna go to the drags. So you better keep your car locked and your keys close, or I'll be stealing it. I'll leave the rivi for you to get home though I'll call it an even trade.