Register now to get rid of these ads!

What did your Dad teach you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kenny P, Jun 7, 2011.

1. J Twitero

J Twitero
    from Minnesota

Between my dad and step-dad I have learned TONS of stuff, from decent woodworking skills to basics in body work, to virtually anything in an engine/drivetrain, to home maintenace, etc. If it can be fixed I got a primer in it from one or both. Learned how to BS, how to shoot, fish, have a good time, basically everything I need to know. Sounds like my dad will be coming down to stay with me over Father's Day weekend to enjoy Back to the 50's again this year, should be a great time again! Just wish I could get my step dad to come along too, but he keeps saying he would want to get another old ride again too badly and has no space for one. ;)

2. bob-o

bob-o

I don't have the time to talk about all the things I've learned from my Dad. Pop has taught me many things over the years. That fucker never fails to surprise me with his ingenuity and skill as a mechanic, machinist and craftsman. But patience, planning a budget, attention to detail and style are some of the key points he's drilled into my head :) He's also showed me that a man is only as good as his word, because without that, he ain't a man at all. Big props, mad respect and much love to my Dad!

3. das858

das858

My Dad was a mechanic, so just about everything of importance to our hobby.The most important thing he taught me is if your going to do a job, do it right. He is going to be 79 on fathers day, and is still very skilled at mechanical or fabrication work.

4. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

If you want to know what kind of a woman you're marrying, just look at her parents. It's a good thing Mom didn't use that philosophy.

5. sololobo

sololobo

Most of what I know about cars, and a lot more if I would have paid attention. ~sololobo~

6. A little side note:

I was looking for a small wrench to adjust the brakes on my willys today. I have the Ol' Man's tool box and remembered that in his track box there are some small wrenches he used for injection so I dug his track box out of the tool box.

Sure enough there is a wrench in there that is small enough for what I needed. I also found his jet reams. I mentioned earlier that he taught me how to make jets bigger if I needed to. I thought that someone had robbed them before I could pick up the tool box.

Anyway in the reams there is this note. "Hey ya cheeky bastard, get your mits out of my tool box. I guess if you are reading this its your tool box now, and you must be doing OK because you are in here looking for tools. Teach someone you like how to use these. . ."

Guess he's not so far off after all.

7. Dad ?!?!?!
    I've heard of those.................:).

My grandfather taught me a few things but he passed away when I was young.

8. iamq

iamq
    from Ma

Put the tools back were you got them!!!

It takes twice as long to do it wrong..

9. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

how to skin a deer with a chain saw..(have to see it)
    how to spread bondo
    shoot a gun&bow and arrow
    skin a cat fish
    run limb lines and trout lines
    how to ride a motorcycle
    how to make potato soup
    to always make a head shot on small game. (easier to clean)
    to paint all motors chevy orange

10. Truckedup

Truckedup

My father liked fast cars but never worked on them.He hated bullshitters,told me to use a condom. A nice guy but we were never that close really.

11. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lol thats about the best thing I could say about mine...pretty much a waste of space :(

12. true that!

13. JJK

JJK

Work hard and good things will come of it.

14. Some great advise here.
    My dad passed over 25 years back, but was a man amoungst men. An old school guy, who was a boss that was tough but fair.
    He taught me to always put tools back where i found them, never to tell a man what to do, ask him to do it, and he will do it willingly, and never ask someone to do something you wouldnt do yourself.
    Now, at almost 45, im a father figure to the most beautiful 16 month old girl, who loves me to bits, and vise versa. I see my dad in me a lot, while teaching her life skills and all the good stuff you should instill in young people.

15. Work on one thing at a time and finish it. Still having trouble doing this.

16. * The difference between book sense and horse sense.
    * To work for what you want, you'll appreciate it more.
    * Money isn't everything (boy that was a tough one - he never had much money, but always seemed to heve everything we needed)
    * Don't name the pigs or chickens :eek:

17. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

How to fly an airplane
    How to save money
    How to drive a Nash when you're 9 yrs old
    How to stay married forever
    How to let your kids know you love them

My dad was not a gearhead - except that he learned how to do whatever was necessary (brake jobs, oil changes, tuneups, etc) to avoid paying someone else to do it. By the time I was big enough to handle tools, he showed me and then paid me a little bit less than the going rate.

He was one of the most cautious pilots I've ever flown with - none of that trepidation has rubbed off on me. He's gone now, and I miss conversations with him - hope my kids will say the same.

dj

18. That you make eye contact and have a firm grip when you shake a man's hand. And that you only shake a lady's hand if she offers it.
    He also taught me what kind of husband and father NOT to be.

19. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

History haha my dad was actually a history teacher and I was in his class in high school

20. toddjw73

toddjw73
    from Tracy, CA

Mine didn't teach me anything! Except a little about antiqueing. I would rather have been taught about cars, but OH WELL!

21. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

My father, who hasn't walked in over 25 years, with degenerating eyesight and motor skills, has taught me and continues to teach me how to persevere. He was in the Navy during Viet Nam. He taught me how to be a patriotic American. Support your country and your community. Respect the American Flag and what it stands for. Take your hat off and place your hand over your heart during the Star Spangled Banner. He's been involved with disabled American veterans issues for more than two decades. He taught me how to look at life with the right perspective. To identify what matters and what doesn't. He's been dealt a shitty hand for over thirty years, and I never hear him complain about it. He taught me to be thankful for what I do have. I see perfectly able-bodied people complain and whine about their lives and I have no sympathy for them. They need to spend a week confined to my father's wheelchair, unable to hold their own fork, and then tell my father how difficult their life is. He probably thinks I'm twice the man he is. I look in the mirror and see half.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  22. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Nothing about cars but everything that matters most in life!

23. chubbie

chubbie

alltho I know i'm not the only one, it feels OK, to know that others were abused.I used to feel as tho every thing was my fault. the old bastard is still alive, my sisters love him. I sure as hell don't....people say" the older i get the smarter my dad was" well, thats not the case. a classic abuser, he had to keep me DOWN always told me i was no good and i would have to stay home and work the farm,as no one would ever want me..wrong!!:D It was hard to raise my kids, because i didn't know what to do.....so i usually did the opposite of what the old man did, worked well

24. bob-o

bob-o

That's freakin awesome dude. Really made me smile to read that :)

25. The Shocker

The Shocker

There are two bits of Hotrod wisdom i remember him telling me the most .

1:If you make a Dragcar and a daily driver out of the same car you will end up with a car that isnt worth a shit at either one.

2: If you drive a fast looking car around ,sooner or later your gunna run into the right cop at the right time and your gunna wished you had stayed in bed that day .

He was right about both and i found out each of them the hard way.Only thing was he had already passed away before i found out and never got the chance to tell him he was right ...

26. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

Dad is absolutely not a hot rodder. his idea of challanging mechanic work is changing spark plugs, but I did learn from him to always have pride in my work and to always do the best I can and to always do my job in such a way as to not feel ashamed to take a paycheck, knowing in my heart that I earned it! he's a great guy and was always supportive of things i did-even my car projects,even though I think most of the time he wondered why I would put in so much time, effort and money on an "OLD CAR". he's my best friend-mentor-fishing buddy and role model. love ya Dad!!!

27. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

a lot of wht I'v read so far...

use our mind or your back, and I usualy got the back/labor part after some stupid stunt.

How to do near anything if you take your time (still struggle with that)

The love for Hot Rods, case if Dad was into stamps that's what I'd be into.

mostlty stuff I've learned after, thinking about how he tried to teach my something only for me to figure out later wht he wanted (I guess I wanted car knowledge spoon fed to me, and I had to just get to it)

Before I had kids I used to get mad when he would joke and pal with my friends and his firends and he always seemed harder on me and never let me get out of "son mode". Now that I have kids I get it. It's great to laugh and joke but I was his responsability to raise and he did not have a stake in the others...kinda hard to explain.

I lost him 9 years ago...kinda sucks not having that someone to run to with questions or to shoot the bull about stuff.

Dropped what ever he was doing to spend time with me, and I sure as hell do the same for my kids.

28. retro rodder

retro rodder
    from cape cod

almost every thing and he never lets me forget it

29. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

everything I know--but only half of what he does

30. 7ate9

7ate9
    from Maine

Everything I know.. My dad had a collision/restoration shop the whole time I was growing up. So, I learned alot wether he knew it and was teaching me intentionally, or not and I was just standing back and watching. Now I'm working in a restoration shop with him as the boss. Not only did he teach me the auto body trade, but he's shown me what it takes to be a honest, hard working man.