Register now to get rid of these ads!

What did your dad drive?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan in Canada, Nov 21, 2012.

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:)My Dad bought his first car when he came home from over seas. WW1 that is..It was IIRC a `14 or 15 Model T.Then he started doing chauffer work,and a few of the cars that he drove for his clients were:packard Limo,Caddy touring car,a Cord and an Auborn.(?).He owned Model T`s,and A`s up until he bought a `49 Chevy that my sister came home in.I think my ride home was in a Model A.in `45
    His work trucks were a 39 Chevy and a 49 Chevy Suburban which is what I learned to drive in when I was 12.That thing was a bear to steer.Three on a tree.After the 49 Chevy he bought a 53 Stude starlight coupe,which became my first car.After we had a succession of Plymouths until Mom and Dad passed away in 93 and 94. By the by.Dad was born 11-11-1896.Miss them very much.
    That`s pretty much it.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

2. MotoChronicle

MotoChronicle

Wow, I'm a bit younger than y'all :)

My dad always liked euro stuff, but he had pretty cool cars. A black on black BMW 1972 2002 tii w/ racing suspension and mechanical fuel injection, and later a hotrodded 71 Karmann Ghia with a Porsche engine and running gear. And another convertible karmann ghia that he later gave to my grandfather who drove it until it completely disentegrated due to midwest rust issues. Lots of memories of riding around in those. :) Old Bimers in particular have a distinctive smell. . .

my mother's family ran mostly euro status maarques -- Jags and Benzes, although Grandpa did have a barge-length Lincoln ragtop that he would cruise in during the summer. Lots of memories of grandpa trying to start the Lincoln and make the auto top work :)

3. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

The first Car I remember that my Dad had was a Pontiac. I remember the car because it had the head of an Indian ( that's probably not PC these days....no offense intended ) on the hood that lit up. After that he always bought black Cadillacs.

4. His first new car was this '41 Chev. He was born in '13 so he would have been 27-28 years old and have lived through the Depression to get to this new car capability.

And what did HIS dad drive? The 1918 Dodge touring car show with my father furthest to the rear. I am told Gramps bought this and did not know how to drive. By two weeks he had run it into the side of the barn totaling it --and never owned another of those dang things!

Attached Files:

5. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

Some pics of some of the cars my dad have now and had before

This was when he was about as young as I am today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

56 Chevy Convert. 53 Chevy, 64 Chevelle, 65 Cutless, 49 Ford, 54 VW. Half dozen Model T's, & A's List goes on since he was a car guy as well.:)

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like most of the other guys this is a photo that I've shown a few times before.

Dad bought this 41 Ford ragtop when he came back from the South Pacific.
    It had dual steel packs on it that got pretty well burned out and was reputed to have the loudest pipes in the Yakima Valley in 1946. Somewhere along after I was born he traded it for a 41 Buick Sedanette that he later traded for a new 51 Ford tudor got traded for a new 55 Buick 4 door sedan in 1955. He traded the 55 for 57 Buick Roadmaster in 58 or 59. He had some trouble with the Roadmaster and dumped it and got a 53 Olds Super 88 tudor Sedan that I really liked. The 53 got traded for a jet black 57 Super 88 four door hardtop with a J-2 Tripower in it that was probably may favorite of all of his cars. He later traded that for a 62 Pontiac Catalina that he totaled 4 days after I got back from Viet Nam almost totaling himself.
    [​IMG]

Before he went in the Service he had a 37 Hollywood Graham with a supercharger and he and his buddy had built at least one underslung.

8. Your dad had some nice cars. What does the sign UTFART mean in English?:rolleyes:

9. Saxxon

Saxxon

4 door 57 Ford
    68 Dodge Polara wagon
    74 Valiant
    84 Eagle
    90 Subaru wagon

10. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

He certainly has, and there are alot more!

Utfart means Exit :)

11. Dad's first car was a '47 chevy four door...they called the green bean.
    traded it for a '49 pontiac two door. Traded it for a '53 olds 98, than he built a '58 plymouth full custom, chopped top, shaved doors nosed hood 60 coats of hand rubbed black laquer paint....mom got knocked up with me...traded it on a '62 corvair monza spyder that's the one I came home from the hospital in. than a '64 belair a '64 vette traded for a '69 vette 427 3 duece 435hp. someone wrecked it in front of the house, ripped the whole front end off of it and spun the driver side wheel the whole way around. put ot back together traded it for a '73 monte carlo with a dealer installed 4oo small block.....that was the first car I drove, while I built my '69 firebird....after that a bunch of early 70's caddy coupes....
    I just traded a speed boat for a '70 vette my son and I are redoing for him....we know he'll like it since he drove my '72 as much as I did.....don't tell him it's a surprise......

12. WW2 Surplus 1950ish Hauled eggs from Iowa to Cleveland every weekend, Huckstered produce out of it during the week. Roundtrip Cleveland to Iowa Friday night to Sunday night with eggs. No interstates or turnpikes. 1300 miles of 2 lane and small towns.

[​IMG]

Truck, Combination, Stake and Platform, 1 1/2 Ton, 4x2 Chevrolet

13. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Dad drove this 56 Dodge when it was stock. After he died in 59 it was handed down to my older brother and then finally to me.
    I did the modifications in the early 60's.
    In those days you were so goddam happy just to have ANY car that you worked with what you were given. I was about 15 when I customized this using "how tos" from Hot Rod magazine.

14. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

This is my dad in Ft. Riley , Kansas , at some dragstrip right after he got out of the Army in 1968 , Bet he'd like to be riding this around now....

Attached Files:

15. jw johnston

jw johnston

My dad rode motorcycles to the airport where my grandmother worked where he drove a fuel truck. His first real car when he had a license was a 55 Morris minor woody. Started out with the stock motor, then a 1275cc with dual su's on a homage intake. At the end when he traded it for a horse he put a v8 60 in ya with a 2-2 intake. Then a 56 f-100 with a 312, and a 65 ranchero with a 351 4spd that he bought new. Right now he drives a 56 f-100 with a stroked 292 with 312 heads daily or his a deuce and a half military truck.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Never knew my dad he died with polio when I was 2 years old. But his brother my Uncle and Father figure had a cool 57 Ford courier sedan delivery that I loved. He used to take me on fishing trips and he let me drive it once when I was 14. Man was I scared. I had a cop follow me for 5 miles and I was towing a boat, and my Uncle was telling me just watch your speed and don't let the trailer cross the center line. I finally got to the town we were going to and I couldn't wait to pull over. I always hoped he would give that Courier to me on my 16th birthday, but he traded it for a van 3 months before I turned 16. Crap!

17. PG

PG

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

My dad was a pretty diehard Buick guy, with an occasional Chevy thrown in. First new car he bought was a '39 Buick sedan, then he traded that for a '40 Buick Special, a '54 Buick, and then for some weird reason he bought a '57 Plymouth Savoy. He hated the Plymouth and it hated him back back falling apart.
    Then in 1960 He bought a new '60 Chev Biscayne 2dr sedan. I loved that car! Then they decided they needed two cars, and he bought a used '57 Chev Belaire sedan, which later I bought as my first car. After the '60 went to my older brother, he went back to Buicks with a '69 Wildcat with 425 engine.

19. 1934coupe

1934coupe

52 Chevy Deluxe 4dr. sed. std. shift, he bought it used around 1954-55. Drove it until 63 when he bought his first new car a 63 Impala 2dr. hdtp 283/pg. That lasted until I totaled it in 68.

Pat

20. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

'41 Ford convertible
    '57 Chevy 210
    '64 Oldsmobile F-85
    '70 GTO
    Then us damn kids ruined everything for him.
    Lately: another '64 Olds F-85, way nicer than his original.

21. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Nashes, Nashes and Nashes. When they closed up, he went with American Motors, natch. This is the main reason for me buying my first car so early in life. What teenager wants his dad's hand-me-down Nash 6cylinder 4dr Ambassador?

22. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dad's car when he married mom was a 38 Ford, then he traded up for a 40 Ford Std, he said it had more power than the chassis could hold:) In 1949 he traded for a bathtub (Nash), then a 1950 Nash, 52, then 55 and finally a 58 Dodge that I almost totaled. That 58 was pretty fast in 1961:) I have no idea why he liked the bathtub cars, wish he were here so I could ask him.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  23. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

cool thread! dad had a 37 ford 4 door,41 Plymouth 4door, 49 conv ford,52 ford 2dr wagon, 55 and 56 volvos, 57 fiat minivan, 59 Thames window van, 62 corvair 4dr and greenbrier, 56 pontiac safari, 59 el camino, 51 chevy 4dr, 64 and 65 falcons (rancheros, 2+4dr sedans, futuras, conv) 66 mustang coupe, 71 240z and a 2005 HHR....(he said he liked that hhr MOST of ALL...)

24. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

25. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

HDONLYBOB, These are for you.
    That's my Dad in the background. He took it apart to paint it red. When he got it back together he had a box full of bolts, and brackets he couldn't figure out. So he took it for a spin up Pacific Coast Highway, and it ran fine. So he chucked the box of parts. Probably for military stuff, rifle scabbard, radio, etc. Never had a hard time finding a lady who wanted to go for a ride.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. williebill

williebill

My dad started out on T's,then bought a 32 Ford 5 window..he always said that was the biggest piece of shit he'd ever owned ( ! ) ..Drove a 39 Plymouth 2 door sedan during WW 2,told me he'd always find notes on it asking to buy it during the war. He worked in Oak Ridge during that time,and the workers had money,but there were no new cars to buy. I remember a 50 Buick for a while,and he kept his 53 Buick Super until the mid 60s,fixing the Dynaflow at least 3 or 4 times. Then a 61 Bonneville,and numerous GM cars until he drove Toyotas the last few years of his life.

27. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

My dad always had some cool stuff, '64 Galaxie, 352 4 speed, 428 '67 Thunderbird, alot of Mustangs, '64 Comet Cyclone, and even a V8 Pinto daily driver (Went like a snowmobile with studded snows) He mellowed out lately, he has a 96 Thunderbird, but a '57 Ford and a pro street Pinto in the garage.

28. Bill in Al

Bill in Al

First was a new '37 American Bantam, then a '30 Ford Tudor I can remember in 1940 when I was 3 years old.Got a '37 ford 60 till he was drafted.After WW11 was a '39 Hudson 'till 1950 and a new Bullet nose Studebaker Champion.I got my license in'52 in that one.

29. JJK

JJK

Dad had a 55 Bel Air with a 327 and four speed painted 62 Vette blue. After he totaled it he bought a new 71 Skylark and Ford trucks after that.

30. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

A few of my Dad's cars stand out in my mind, although he's owned many.
    His first was this 28 chev:
    [​IMG]

Then a 52:
    [​IMG]

After that his 57:
    [​IMG]

A year or so ago now, he got the bug again at 70 years old and found his 57 again:

[​IMG]