Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My wife is gone for the day. So Im playing with my grandson Grayson. He is almost three. We went ovr to the shop and I cleaned a bit and he just investigated everything. He is watching cartoon's on U tube right now. I hoping one of the grandchildren inherit the old iron junk hoarder Gene.

chevy57dude likes this.
  2. I had one of those deliverys. I was suprized to find out the doors where short the same size as the four door doors. So I assume you are gonna streech your car a bit?

3. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

Getting ready for the rebuild and subsequent emptying of my bank acct.

teardown.jpg

4. Two warm days in a row . Primed the doors and trim . Then painted the doors , trim , and corner of body where I sand a run through to primer . Time to put her back together. Blue
    CA747CE4-AB47-4B0A-A03B-651AF08FE4D1.jpeg 62B4184C-C9ED-4864-B73B-960CBF3A2604.jpeg 34451F3A-F5E1-4561-A8FA-F550C059D72E.jpeg EA88DEFA-5CD2-4E8D-A95D-2560E2793A0B.jpeg

Stogy, chop job and saltflats like this.
  5. RMONTY

RMONTY

Not sure if I'm gonna stretch it or shorten the quarters. The doors are about 6" or so longer on the 2 door. I'm going to put a spare door I have from a 2 door on it for a look-see to determine what approach I'll take.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Tom said he wanted this one in the car. :)
    20171130_190108.jpg
    20171130_201516 (2).jpg

7. exterminator

exterminator

Waited for our furniture delivery from Ashly furniture. Whooppie!!!!!You asked!:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  8. Christmas decorations image.jpg

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  9. Nothing hotrod related. Stuck in field conditions with the guard for another week. About to start withdrawals. Thanks to the HAMB for helping me keep my sanity and "escape" for a few minutes.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chevy57dude likes this.
  10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Nothing exciting.

11. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-12-16_8-15-53.png
    Hello,

Today, I dusted off my trusty garage stool/kids’ booster seat, kitchen stool, jack of all trades, wooden concoction I made back in 1968. I had made several photo developing tables and had left over 2x4 pieces of redwood laying around. Working in the garage doing back breaking car/motorcycle work, sitting on the cold concrete made for bad backs, regardless of how much stretching anyone does prior to the work. (Brakes, pipes, welding, attaching…etc.)

This 2x4 stool is 8 inches tall with a seat surface of 10 x 10. Redwood construction, metal “L” brackets for corner supports, and coated with many layers of polyurethane liquid. It has survived all of these years during hot rod brake jobs, wheel lettering, installing/removing lug bolts, pinstriping small bikes, go karts building, etc. It also had use as a kitchen stool because it made me 6’8’ inches tall and I could reach anything on the top shelves easily.

The next usage was as a booster seat support for early child car seats. When our son was born, he was in a standard GM car seat. But, it was so low in the regular seat that the belts had a hard time fitting correctly. So, with this booster base, it was a perfect fit for the safety lap/shoulder belts fitting into the certified car seat. As the kid grew up, the stool provided additional booster to his larger kid car seat. In those days, kids rode in the front seat looking forward…

Then when the booster stool was not used in the cars, it became an additional sturdy seating area for the neighborhood kids visiting and playing at the kids’ table. During this time, it got plenty of use back out in the garage doing all sorts of sitting/repair jobs on our cars and bikes.

Now, many years later, the stool was given to our son and he used it for his daughter, when she needed to stand on something sturdy to reach the sink for hand washing, teeth brushing, or face washing. All of the local stores had wobbly plastic ones and he remembered that he used this stool when he first started using the sink.

Jnaki

So, with this memory lane trip, it got used as our own garage stool again, since I had to work at a lower level doing some cabinet adjusting and reconstruction. Then I had to clean the surface/repaint the brake calipers. It was the perfect height to sit and comfortably work on those projects… But, when finished, it was relegated back to duty as a stool for the garage trash can for ease of those basketball shots with used stuff.

Yes, I had a roller garage stool from the local auto parts store. But those were too tall without bending your back, for most jobs and were only good for garage stool races on that smooth concrete floor. Plus, they only had one use…out in the garage.

This homemade stool is a jack of all trades and virtually indestructible for being almost 50 years old. It may last another "generation" or two... unless it gets tossed out in the next big massive garage clean out.
    upload_2017-12-16_8-29-0.png

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  12. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Today ? Today was spent laying in a hospital bed recovering from heart surgery. My wrenching days are over, at least for this year! Thanks for keeping me entertained by your posts.

13. Hope you have a SPEEDY recovery! And a very Merry Christmas. Also that you'll be back wrench 'en in the new year.:) Ron...

jnaki likes this.
  14. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Glad you're here to enjoy them! Let's hope you get back to the garage in 2018.

I dumped this big lump of iron in the chassis today to see if the manifolds clear the suspension and steering. They do, just barely.

Attached Files:

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  15. evintho

evintho

Bought the drivetrain for my '54 Customline.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF5918.JPG Took the tires off four 18 inch wires and got a shipping quote, listed more junk on "that auction site" Bob

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  17. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Can’t work in the garage right now. It’s 40F and perfect for garage wrenching time, but sciatica has me limping around the house. Haven’t been able to sit down since thanksgiving. Laying on the garage floor just isn’t happening until I get this calmed down. So spent a bunch of time reading and watching YouTube videos about 700r4 transmission rebuilds as part of my plans for next year involve getting it working correctly.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More welding and grinding on a customer's '46 GMC pickup cab chop. 20171216_212859.jpg

UNSHINED 2 and JOYFLEA like this.
  19. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

As long as you’re recovering, that’s good news. The garage will still be there when you’re ready. Take care, follow the doctor’s orders, and be nice to the nurses.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Hope you get well TagMan. Bob.

21. badgascoupe

badgascoupe

Sold a set of 19" model a rims and cut and split a load of firewood.

22. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Started in to convert my 50 Ford to rubber motor mounts instead of the solid ones I built it with.Going to be more to it than it sounds like.

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  23. We have a two year old and a three year old grandsons here today. rainy cloudy day. So ive not done much. fed the woodstove. changed diapers. took a few pictures and posted them. Man this wet weather makes my joints ache.

24. WTF really

WTF really

Put this fire extinguisher and a 32 light bar and these lights on Hilda today. 20171217_151945.jpg 20171217_171420.jpg 20171217_171411.jpg

UNSHINED 2 and JOYFLEA like this.
  25. mike bowling

mike bowling

^^^ hard to concentrate with that avatar staring me in the face.....................

Getting ready to put the door glass in the "Creeper". Fitted some new hinge pins in, put in some door stop straps and mounted the regulators. Been 20* in the mornings here all week ( 10* today!) so I've been goofing off a lot and working a little.

Got some parts to play with from a buddy.............. DSCN3659.JPG

Picked up some art on the side of the road- now I've got a classy place!! DSCN3655.JPG

UNSHINED 2, JOYFLEA and WTF really like this.
  26. Dyce

Dyce

I finished the rear fenders on my model a. It' on a 32 frame so rather than buying 32 or 31 fenders I started from scratch.
    20171217_185622.jpg
    20171217_185735.jpg

27. ...since it was about 40 degrees out today, I rode my vintage bicycle around town for some exercise,...took some pics of old buildings around our 160 year-old town...the small brick bldg was once a smokehouse for a meat market...bldg in last pic was built in 1937.
    alleys polo 12-17 001.jpg alleys polo 12-17 002.jpg alleys polo 12-17 022.jpg alleys polo 12-17 023.jpg

28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Picked up my 56 Victoria when it's been a Art Carrs (the real one) California Performance Transmission getting it's Ford-O-Matic replaced with 62 "green dot" Cruise-O-Matic giving me the full time 3 speed trans I wanted. Not a total EZ swap since there are a lack of some parts which were readily available in the early 60's. It's now radiator cooled instead of air also.
    Works just as I hoped and now I just need to remake the shift indicator on the dash to have an extra spot. That's where my skills seem to lie anyway.

29. Roys40

Roys40

Same routine m-f 3:30 am breakfast 3:50 make the 80 mile trip to the city for work. Check emails line out all trades for the day walk job site send emails attend meetings lock up drive 80 miles back home play with kids and try to work in the shop!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Worked on the exhaust in the '32 build. All stainless. Got as far as the back of the mufflers!
    SPark

exh11.png exh12.png exh15.png exh16.png exh17.png

UNSHINED 2, JOYFLEA and mike bowling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.