Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Today I did a VIN inspection on an albino unicorn.

A Model A with a matching set of frame and engine serial numbers!:eek::D

chryslerfan55 and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  2. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Made a new lower fender extension for my 48-50 F1. Just have some fine tuning and roll the bottom edge and its done..... 20171008_103537.jpg

3. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Funny!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. That's some nice work. HRP

chryslerfan55 and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-10-17_4-0-6.png upload_2017-10-17_4-0-18.png
    upload_2017-10-17_4-0-46.png upload_2017-10-17_4-0-58.png
    upload_2017-10-17_4-1-10.png Long Beach Belmont Shore Car Show
    Hello,

Today, I researched one of my favorite car shows in So Cal. We had been going to this show off and on since it started 28 years ago. It is held in our old cruising area of southeast Long Beach. Belmont Shore area of Long Beach is bordered by the ocean on one side, Alamitos Bay to the east, and a huge ocean front, grassy cliff side, boardwalk park to the north. 14 city blocks of cool, custom cars and hot rods to end the summer season in So Cal. Plus, Domenico’s Italian Restaurant (best Pizza and salad in So Cal) is also a 63 year old tradition that can’t be missed anytime or during any event.
    upload_2017-10-17_4-3-7.png
    But, there were some rumblings before this year’s show and here is the story.

Jnaki

The whole So Cal area car clubs, community groups, car associations,etc, needs to step up to help preserve one of the longest running car shows in the area. A big tax write off for some corporation, organization, or club?

“The Bay City Rodders Car Club produces the Belmont Shore Car Show in conjunction with the Belmont Shore Business Association. Over the years of producing car shows the Bay City Rodders Car Club has donated 100% of the show’s profits to various charities. The total donations over the years have exceeded $375,000.

The show is held on 2nd Street in Belmont Shore which is part of Long Beach. A large number of blocks of 2nd Street are closed off for the day and the show takes place on the city street. This is a terrific location because this section of Belmont Shore is loaded with restaurants and shops so there is plenty to do and see. The show draws about 500 vehicles and boasts a huge number of street vendors selling automotive related goods as well as many other things.

Because the show draws a huge spectator crowd, it has a terrific amount of excitement and energy. This one is not to be missed whether you have a car or just come to look at cars. The level of quality of the cars at this show is second to none. If you want to see a huge number of the finest rods, muscle cars, and customs to be found in Southern California, you don’t want to miss this show.”

LONG BEACH PRESS TELEGRAM

“The Bay City Rodders Seal Beach may ends its involvement in the Belmont Shore Car Show, a 28-year tradition that brings hundreds of vintage vehicles to Second Street. The event, which takes place Sunday, is organized by the Seal Beach club in collaboration with two other area car clubs. But Jim Davis, event coordinator for the Seal Beach club, said its membership has dropped over the years. “There are too few people to try to coordinate it with,” Davis said. “It’s very difficult and most members are up in age.”

Dede Rossi, executive director of the Belmont Shore Business Asociation, said she will search another organizer. “After the show this year I will talk with other groups who might have an interest in taking over,” Rossi said in an email. She also said she didn’t have any in mind, but believes the show will continue.

Davis said membership in the Seal Beach club has gone from a peak of 50 families in the late 1990s to about 33 families now. Some have moved and retired, or sold their cars and lost interest, he said. The Sultans of Long Beach and American Outlaws also help coordinate entrants and cars during the show, and all three clubs bring about 60 of the show’s 450 entries.

Bill Barger, entrant coordinator, said the show is among the best. “There are few shows with shopping centers, places you can go eat,” Barger said. The cars, of course, are the main draw. Barger owns a 1957 Chevy Bel Air. Davis said most of the show’s entries are street rods that haven’t been around for at least 20 years. He owns a bright red 1932 Roadster.

Cars built in all decades will be featured. Davis said they are seeing a lot more 1950s and 1960s vehicles, which many of the participants knew as kids. “I go to quite a few shows,” Davis said. “For some reason, this one’s the cream of the crop.” Organizers hope the event continues. “It’s sad,” Davis said. “If we had another year or two (of the show), maybe we could grow (show entries/membership).” The event also includes vendors selling everything from mortuary services to apparel to haircuts. The show runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday along 14 blocks of Second Street.

Road closures will be from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. (or until Second Street is clear) with Second Street closed from Livingston Drive to Bay Shore Avenue, and intersecting side streets from Quincy to Claremont avenues closed to the alleys both north and south. Bay Shore Avenue will remain open to traffic. Organizers recommend people park at Ocean Boulevard beach lots and the Marine Stadium on Appian Way, or using alternative transportation modes.”

From The Long Beach Grunion Newspaper:
    "Belmont Shore Car Show Needs Operator

It was widely reported last month that the Bay City Rodders car club was stepping away from the Belmont Shore Car Show. For the last 28 years, club members have handled everything from entry registration to where particular cars parked. The Belmont Shore Business Association sponsors the show and has a hand in vetting one day vendors, but the car issues came to the club.

But the club has dwindled in size, and has now officially dropped the organizer role for the car show. So Dede Rossi, BSBA executive director, and the BSBA board have begun the search for a new organizer. She said the show would continue to be on the second Sunday in September.

For those interested in applying, or interested in finding out if they are interested, Rossi asks that they email her at dede@belmontshore.org to set up an interview.
    www.belmontshore.org."

chryslerfan55 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  6. Putting back together my basement and utility room after a thorough demo job. Excavated a lot of ledge, poured a new floor, new insulation, and new paint on the old cinder block walls.
    Now im back to fitting a convertable top to my wife's roadster.
    Hopefully will have it done this week then its onto the upholstry shop.
    2many projects for sure.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  7. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-11-3_6-30-37.png
    One of our favorite books…HOT ROD HAMSTER

Hello,

Last Saturday, we took our grand daughter to dinner at a restaurant we have been going to for years. Each time we go, the waiters come to the table and on the paper table cloth, they draw their names upside down with a flourish. (they must practice a lot, as the names are pretty good for being upside down and sometimes in script) This time was the first in several years and it was interesting. The Cars and Coffee group used to come to this parking lot every Saturday morning until they got shut down.

The restaurant, Romano’s Macaroni Grill, is a mainstay in So Cal. The waiters used to sing in opera style while drawing their names upside down in crayon. All tables have crayons for this purpose and to have the customers draw whatever they want.

In the beginning, our granddaughter drew simple stuff. Now, 10 years later, her drawings are very detailed and cute. But, she always pokes my wife and says…"Look at those flames on the table cloth. "
    upload_2017-11-3_6-32-59.png
    Since the waitress draws her name upside down, we have tried to do it the same way…Giving up on that task, we revert to drawing other things. I have yet to draw a car with flames...too much erasing and that is hard to do with Crayolas.

Jnaki

The colorful flames drew the attention of the women at the next table. They probably thought this guy is nuts…
    upload_2017-11-3_6-35-31.png

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Tore down a '54 Chev 235 ----- THAT HAD NEVER BEEN APART !!!
    What are the chances ?

9. patzfab

patzfab
    from Canada

Pulling an 8ba out of the 50 Shoebox to fix a leaky rear mainseal 7800EE77-AFC3-42A4-B033-127CCC3E2271.jpeg 518636EE-36CB-4C58-963D-1EAD1E207698.jpeg

10. I machined a couple of fittings that I need for the motor mounts on my son's 47 International. Getting the parts all fitted up in readiness for welding.
    Bob

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Got my new headers installed.
    Think I will have to head to the track to see how much help these will be. It sure sounds like a different animal now. :)
    20171103_171329 (2).jpg

12. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

Finished fitting my floor and mounting battery box. 20170925_145623.jpg 20170925_150708.jpg 20170324_124549.jpg 20170324_124537.jpg

UNSHINED 2 and JOYFLEA like this.
  13. Chop job , is that an HD battery ? Do you have a build tread on this ? Blue

14. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

Yes it is a HD and no build thread as of yet.

JOYFLEA likes this.
  15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Made some test hits and got loaded up for the trip to the track for some test and tune with the new headers.
    If you are in the Mo-Kan Dragway area stop by and say hi.

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-11-5_5-30-19.png
    One of our favorite books…HOT ROD HAMSTER...HAM(B)STER
    upload_2017-11-5_5-28-40.png
    Hello,
    When I posted this story about flames on a restaurant table, I included a photo of a little Hamster yelling out "Flames!" I did not notice the tie in with HAMB...until my wife chimed in and said...The word could be "HAMBSTER" in the title of the book. HA!

Jnaki

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

CSRA Swap Meet in Bristol, Ct. Two carts full. :)

Bob

18. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

I primed the floor of my 34. Came out pretty good then I suddenly realised I,d mixed it 2:1 instead of 4:1. Must of had a bit of brain fade.Might be a bit hard to flat.

19. RMONTY

RMONTY

Finally got off my ass today and finished up my man cave traffic signal. Made the base out of an old patio umbrella stand that I should have thrown away with the umbrella when the wind got it. I knew I was going to need it for something! It is unbelievably stable with the light hanging out from the pole. Total cost for the project.....
    Traffic Light $45 from some neighborhood app sell your junk thing
    Three LED light bulbs $17
    Sequencer bought off ebay or amazon...dont remember but $35 or thereabouts
    Base.....Free!
    Pipe.....Free! trafficsignal.jpg

Old wolf likes this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Totally fried another tea kettle last night, very poor start on the day when my wife found out. Why is it illegal to make a tea kettle whistle that you can hear? I'm in the middle of trying to organize things in the junk room - office. Keep, sell, throw out, made one trip to the dump. Found one 37-38 Ford headlight ring, so things are going along well. Bought a new kettle and the first cup of coffee is just fine.

21. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

Started chop. 20171111_124825.jpg 20171111_131828.jpg 20171111_132155.jpg

JOYFLEA and The37Kid like this.
  22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Made this mess.
    20171111_101030.jpg
    20171111_131905.jpg

JOYFLEA likes this.
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pumped six inches of water out of the cellar after the blasted gate valve someone had put in the line to the dishwasher wouldn't shut off when I went to change the dishwasher out. Now I have to shut the pump off, drain the lines and pull the pipe cap I stuck on the pipe last night off and stick the new ball valve on. No hot rod work this weekend.

24. Ran sta-bill through the truck, t-bucket and shovelhead, then decided to turn the Henry J 180* which is a challenge on my slanted floor, damn thing tried rolling out the door on me. 20171111_152603.jpg 20171111_153820.jpg

25. Went and checked my cattle and loaded a half load of firewood on my 66 GMC . Played with my grandson Grayson. Gave him wheelbarrow rides. Watched him use the D4 cat for a jungle gym. He isn't yet 3 but he is up at 6:30 and goes like the energizer bunny until he drops. He just now fell asleep. When we come to a gate. As I open it he scrambles over it and is on the other side before I can walk thru. Wasted about a hour with a B Back Lookie Loo. Just got done filling up the wood stove. Tomorrow Ive got to finish up a plumbing job on the kitchen sink. It was new in 67. So I suppose I cant complain about everything needing replaced. I bet the new plastic replacement faucet and drain pipes don't last 60 years like the old brass and pot metal original did.

26. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey old wolf, what's a lookie loo....nice the youngins remind us of our youth....

27. Sorted out some more of the wiring mess on the barn find falcon.

28. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Watched a good looking blond walk down the sidewalk in front of my apt.Since my cataract surgery EVERYTHING is much clearer.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

29. 756E3D5A-C95C-4AEB-829E-A32E510B93E5.jpeg Had a board meeting!
    31F4BDE9-EF93-4365-9C6A-B76882551AEF.jpeg 47BA879A-11F1-4D12-BA09-1253F7ECBE5E.jpeg CF64D05E-7D73-4E83-93C6-CC450EEA9C20.jpeg

chop job likes this.
  30. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, I installed my newly dropped axle (thanks, Sid!) on my '54 Dodge pickup. I did the new springs, shackles, and bushings last week and the axle today. Maybe this week I will get the disc brakes and hubs on the front. Maybe not.

I have to pace myself.

JOYFLEA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.