Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Just got done with replacing the brakes and bearing on the car trailer.
    Being I smoked a bearing on the trip to Ohio.
    20170730_111502.jpg

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Adjusted the M/C push rod to pedal bracket. It just seemed to too close to the M/C piston. Now, I'm on the HAMB and Speedways site making a final decision on beauty rings. Smooth or ribbed? Hey..... that's what she asked!:D

Early Ironman and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  3. Drove the Hudson to work and it started spitting and sputtering like crazy and didn't want to accelerate. Pulled over to take a look and the strangest thing was the fuel pump was really loose. The bolts had backed out because they don't have lock washers. Guess I should look under the hood more often on that car. Lock washers installed. Tightened them up and went on down the road. Oh and this also solved the mysterious oil leak. Yeah I should look under the hood more often.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

MO_JUNK likes this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-8-20_16-17-54.png upload_2017-8-20_16-18-35.png
    upload_2017-8-20_16-18-11.png upload_2017-8-20_16-18-23.png
    Hello,

It has been quite a busy place today. I sent my brother in law one of three 59 Chevy station wagons models that I finished for him. (he lives back east) (The other two were for the sisters, out west) The family used to go camping at the Salton Sea from 1959-63. At first, the wagon model came in the color red. Then it was sanded and primed. After a coat of white, fine sanding, another layer of white, final sanding, and finally a clear coat was applied. From the black and white photos, I thought it was white.
    upload_2017-8-20_16-19-34.png
    My wife said it was a coral color, but not pink, after she saw the finished model. GM listed it as a 1959 Satin Beige. She then picked out the color at the paint store and the process started over again. A GM assembly plant in my garage!

Why would I go through all of this procedure three more times? Well, there were three kids in my wife’s family. They had just lost their dad after 98 years. He was not in great shape for the last several months and we all knew it was time. For his last birthday, we were going through some photos in a slide show that I prepared. He was still bright eyed as he pointed out that wagon at the Salton Sea, with a tear in his eye.

He said that it was a 59 Chevy. It pulled a small outboard boat for fishing and “attempted” water skiing. Even though he was 98, his memory of that Chevy wagon was sharp as possible. He remembered the orange tent and green, Coleman “gas” pump stove.

Jnaki

Our family used that orange canvas tent (very leaky) and green Coleman “gas” pump stove, later on, when our son was older. There was a little handle in the small tank to pump the white gas into the burners. It was a smaller version of a Moon Tank with a pressure pump handle. The more you pump, the more

pressure there is for a larger fire in the burner…how ironic.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Ron Funkhouser and saltflats like this.
  5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I boxed up more stuff for shipping, that I sold off. Then I cleaned up one of the spare cars for sale.

6. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Finally started putting the wood decals on my willys wagon.Finish it tomorrow 005.JPG 006.JPG

7. Assembled the 59 Chevy dash I cut down for my COE. I use to be a prince but now I'm just an old horny toad .
    IMG_2072.JPG IMG_2073.JPG IMG_2074.JPG

8. Rode my bike back from the hamb drags. Almost home 2 hours left. Around 650 miles now that's a ride!!!!;)

9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Drove 5-1/2 hours back from the HAMB Drags.....

mgtstumpy and saltflats like this.
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Drove back also...not that far but stopped for Pizza at Pepperoni Bills in Camdenton.
    Good stuff.....I think.

11. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

^You'll find out in the morning.
    Or sooner....

saltflats likes this.
  12. raymay

raymay

Cleaned up some of my cars, got my welding helmet and settled in to watch the Eclipse. We had about 70% viewing here in the North East. There were a few clouds which actually made it easier to look at. The next big total Eclipse in our area is in 7 years.
    Well at least I got the cars clean. Time to pick one and then head out for a Cruise Night.

DSC01129.JPG DSC01130.JPG

jeffd1988 likes this.
  13. We made eclipse viewers on the company dime at work...
    Sunday I just cleaned up the Ford a little, made a run for octane booster and tightened up the alternator belt. I ordered some used rear window trim, I'll try to get that installed over the weekend.

14. So what did I do today. I have spent most of the day trying to recover of 3 days of sun and fun. I did take my 93 year old mother in law out to see her first ever in her life dark. I had to hold the crazy lady next door at bay long enough for her to see it. LOL

15. I dropped my truck off for inspection this morning after 5 years of working on it. Still lots to be done, but here is a picture of it when I got it and a couple of how it sits now.
    Before picture actually looks a little better. lol
    Then:
    [​IMG]

Now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  16. I took a ride in the cold Winter air, since the Sun was out, and came across this fine example of Ford engineering at my buddies auto sparky shop.
    Just needs some 16 inch wheels, an old V8, and I'd call it perfect. IMG_20170821_120542.jpg IMG_20170821_120532.jpg IMG_20170821_120446.jpg IMG_20170821_120355.jpg

mgtstumpy and jeffd1988 like this.
  17. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

20170903_185354.jpg 20170903_185329.jpg 20170903_185354.jpg 20170903_185329.jpg Installed the FE and 4 speed in the Fairlane so I can figure out how to modify the transmission mount and where to the cut hole and modify the transmission tunnel for the floor shift.... In the last few weeks I have painted the firewall and rebuilt the front suspension.....

mgtstumpy and JOYFLEA like this.
  18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sprayed a little paint.
    IMG_1154.JPG IMG_1157.JPG

chop job, flynbrian48, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  19. IMG_2084.JPG IMG_2085.JPG IMG_2086.JPG Got dash fully installed and wired .

mgtstumpy and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  20. Moved the 59 out of my staging car port for builds , so I could get to the 57 to put a new gas line on and do some wiring. It is going to a new home in a trade for a 29 sedan . I sure need a bigger shop . I can't wait to get on the 59 but got to finish my COE . Blue
    IMG_2097.JPG IMG_2098.JPG

21. squirrel

squirrel

I figured out why my Chevy II was running a bit rough. Plug wire came of the plug. It's better now. Good thing it was minor...leave for Drag Week this Thursday!

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Today was a Sawzall party over at storage. Everything incomplete was either rendered useful components for sale, or scrap.

23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Straightened some bent valves..

Friend's v6 shitbox broke the timing belt. Interference engine. Wanted to try a new belt before scrapping the car, another guy said they sometimes straighten themselves. Sure enough, fired it up, couple loud clacks and it settled down to a nice idle. Probly wear the guides, not my problem.

24. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

I am always intrigued when a package arrives on my front porch. Like a little kid, I always liked getting things in the mail. (Honest Charley, JC Whitney, etc. long before Amazon and others, like today.) Much to my surprise, this one was addressed to me. 95% of the packages arrive with my wife’s name on them. So, I was surprised.

When I opened the package, it was a surprise gift from my old high school friend that is still involved in the drag racing circles in one way or another. Jerry Bivens of Bivens and Fisher, AA/FD, "Checkmate." This past year, he and his crew did a total rebuild of Checkmate and it looks fabulous.

upload_2017-9-6_4-23-6.png upload_2017-9-6_4-23-24.png
    upload_2017-9-6_4-25-3.png upload_2017-9-6_4-24-28.png
    upload_2017-9-6_4-25-48.png upload_2017-9-6_4-25-59.png
    Of course, the hat instantly disappeared into my wife’s baseball cap collection. She is a fanatic about her hats and sunburns. It sits next to her favorite, “Nashville, TN” hat (given for the collection by her brother in TN) in her closet. So, I have the cool, “Checkmate” t shirt and she won’t let go of the hat…

Jnaki

Jerry Bivens was in my Long Beach Poly HS graduating class and was one of the locals from the Bixby Knolls hot rod, cruising area. It is so “classic” that he is still involved with his FED, as it sure looks like a lot of fun. I saw him at the Lions Dragstrip Museum cackle event in June. It was the first time since graduating in 1962. The late, Doug Fisher went to my junior high school and high school. After high school, we all went our separate ways. Bivens and Fisher, had a string of FED race cars over the years.

p.s. The new “Checkmate” sounds fabulous, too.

Check out the Bivens and Fisher FED start up during Steve Gibbs’ Nitro Revival at the Barona Dragstrip in Lakeside, CA on Saturday, Sept. 30th.
    upload_2017-9-6_4-29-33.png upload_2017-9-6_4-28-56.png

mgtstumpy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  25. Cleaned up the 57,did a quick tune up , and took her for a ride . Man does this nailhead run good . This was luxury in the day . I will miss this car but will have a great time with the trade . Still need to clean the white walls . Blue
    IMG_2102.JPG IMG_2103.JPG IMG_2104.JPG IMG_2105.JPG

UNSHINED 2, Stogy, charleyw and 2 others like this.
  26. Put a new faucet in the kitchen...:oops:

Attached Files:

27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Not today but the other day, finally rolled it outside for the first time in years with the body on. I'm about to commence an extended of leave before I retire so hopefully I can get something done on it when/if I can get motivated. So close and yet so far!
    20170409_144708.jpg

JOYFLEA, UNSHINED 2 and Stogy like this.
  28. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Drove my 54 Chevy 722 miles home from Kalamazoo, Michigan. Great day for an old man but I am tired. It was its first road trip and it did great. It is amazing what a guy can get done in 15 years if he sticks to it.

John

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Garage looked like this....................all the crap and clutter since our return from Hershey last year. DSCF9252.JPG Spent all day moving stuff, some of it twice to pack it all tight and make as much room as I could. Hard to tell, but I could cram two more Model T's in the open area I made. DSCF9548.JPG

30. Picked up a new project on a trade Friday. Today I started to measure up the roof for a trim . I use hose clamps on the A & B post to use as a guide . Tape for back . Should have it cut and tacked back tomorrow. At 68 and working alone I'm not as fast as I use to be . Stay tuned. Blue
    IMG_2139.JPG IMG_2158.JPG IMG_2159.JPG IMG_2162.JPG

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.